The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I am going to try and be as concise as I can. I searched I didn't see much on this so I am hoping someone out there can help. I need to fix the family hauler.

Car: 2012 Chysler Town and Country, 67000 miles

Problem: The ESC/BAS or Electronic Stability Control (ESC) Indicator Light/Brake Assist System (BAS) Warning Light has started coming on. When it comes on I am also unable to use cruise control as it will not engage (The EVIC indicator shows up, but never the arrow saying it is set).

Extra information: It seems to come on when I press the brakes (specifically for longer periods like sitting at a stop light, or waiting to back out of a parking spot in reverse) I did the key dance and I got a code of P0571 which is - Cruise Control/Brake Switch 'A' Circuit Malfunction. Once this light comes on if the car is in park it engages the gear safety where it won't shift out of gear. I have now seen it turn on 3 times in the past 24 hours (we were on a road trip and needed to make it home tonight).

My thoughts: Brake switch on the pedal assembly? My problem with that is the brake lights seem to come on as normal so unless they use a different threshold for the cruise and lights then I don't know. Please help I am a competent mechanic, but I need help diagnosing this one!

I am going to try and get it to turn on and then put my foot under the brake pedal to see if a misaligned switch is causing this.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Here are some possible causes that i came up with, I would start with replacing the brake switch first.

- Faulty Brake Switch
- Misadjusted brake switch
- Brake Switch harness is open or shorted
- Brake Switch circuit poor electrical connection

·
Registered
1 Posts
ESC / Brake Light Issue

I'm having the same issue. The ESC light is coming on and when it does my lower brake lights come on and stay on. The top/hatch light still functions properly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am having the same issues, but also mine will lock in Park. I have to start the engine a couple of times before I can get it out of park. If I reach under the dash and wiggle the brake light switch things seem to work normal for awhile. I am assuming the brake light switch is what triggers the lock that holds the shifting lever in park. Can anybody verify this?

·
Registered
1 Posts
2012 Town and Country Touring - 106k miles

About six years ago (2014, around 50k miles), I began getting the "can't set cruise control", "won't shift out of park", and then the ABS light came on. I did a search for those three symptoms and found that they generally occur in that order, and that having the brake lights stay on all the time was the fourth symptom. Pretty annoying, because we commute long distances with steady moving traffic and cruise is nice to have. Even more annoying, though, is placing the van in Park while getting drive-thru or some other activity. Had to keep turning off the engine, turn key to "Start", shift into Neutral, then start the engine. Every time.

Recommendation: replace the brake switch.

I went to O'Reilley's (still called it Schucks back then) and bought a new $14 switch with a lifetime warranty. They are sorry now - I've replaced it at least once a year since, and this year I'm about to get my third - all on the original warranty. Checked with Autozone and they sell the same brand. About 3 or 4 yrs ago, the design was changed, apparently to accommodate more vehicles. Now the pressure switch ratchets to set for your vehicle. Unfortunately, this means that the more you use it, the more the ratchet wears out and pretty soon it clicks just "one more time" and you no longer have enough contact.

Really sad that a $14 (now $18) piece of plastic and metal can shut your vehicle down completely, and that they choose not to fix this design flaw.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts