The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to look at a 2012 Chrysler Town and Country on Friday and the dealer said the a/c in the back doesn't work. He said the front works fine and should be enough to cool the entire vehicle as he said lots of other models don't have A/C in the back. Is this a correct statement?

Also, if the A/C isn't working in the back does that mean I may have issues in the future with the front A/C?

Another little thing. I asked if there is any rust on it and he said there is a quarter sized bit of rust on the hood. He said that I could put a hood deflector on it if it bothers me. I do hate rust so would it work to put a bug deflector or whatever they are called on the hood?

They are asking 12,488 for the vehicle and it has 105,000 kilometers on it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Need more information. Does the rear A/C not blow at all or blows warm? Could be as simple as a faulty blower motor or a blown fuse.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have the same issue, there is a rear A/C unit on the right side behind the rear panel (near the flashlight) we got a quote to fix it of ~1500.

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Caravan 35th Anniversary Edition
72 Posts
Also the hood is aluminum. So hood rust isn't likely, perhaps the usual paint corrosion bubble that I've seen posts about. I wouldn't really call that rust, but others might.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Also the hood is aluminum. So hood rust isn't likely, perhaps the usual paint corrosion bubble that I've seen posts about. I wouldn't really call that rust, but others might.
This is true...however, the 2016 we just bought had it aluminum hood replaced, warranty, before delivery because it was covered in rust along the seams and on the top.
I saw it, twas nasty. I also thought aluminum parts did not rust. Guess not.

I should have taken pictures.

Use some anti rust along those seams folks.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have owned four third generation minivans. Two with rear heat and ac and two without. Not much difference in heating or cooling if you ask me. It takes a little longer to get heat in the dead of winter as the engine first has to warm up the pipes to the rear of the van and the extra heater core. The rear ac ducts run through the ceiling, so if your van is parked in the sun before you start the rear ac, it takes a while for the air from those ceiling vents to cool down. I wouldn't pay much for rear heat/ac in Canada's climate.

·
Super Moderator
27,738 Posts
Yes, it's common for AC shops to block off air to the rear for about $300 to $500, instead of doing expensive repairs to the rear. Unless you live in Texas, front air is powerful and should do its job well enough, so they say. Many 4th Generations had only front air.
If the block off has been done, consider yourself $s ahead in the transaction, not being faced with that decision/cost in the future.
The rear heat can be blocked as well, under the floor, at the front, using the hose to cross over, if similar to a 4th Generation - takes about 15 minutes.

Reactions: Pugwinkle

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
If like my 2002, there isn't much to the AC in the rear, just an expansion valve and evaporator. If the blower isn't working, that could be an easy fix, and would cripple the rear heat too. Rear climate isn't essential. If in the humid east, the AC is mainly to dehumidify the air, which everyone in the van would feel, and doesn't require air blowing on them to enjoy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts