The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2012 Grand Caravan has an issue that has me stumped. It has 212k miles. This may be kind of long but I will try to shorten it. About 2 months ago the van developed a really bad miss. It was compression tested and turns out it the left cylinder head was bad- had a dead cylinder. Well the cylinder head was replaced and all felt good until now. The last few weeks, while driving, the van will just randomly miss 1-2 times and when it does, it is a hard hit. Almost feels like a torque converter trying to go into lock up. At first I thought it may be the torque converter but today, I watched the misfire counter on my scan tool and noticed every time it would do it, either cylinder 1 or 2 would misfire. It is very random also. Nothing I do while driving can manipulate it to act up and it just does it whenever- sometimes cruising and sometimes when lightly accelerating. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,356 Posts
How long since new plugs? Did they do them with the head?

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,356 Posts
Coolant levels are good? Temp stays in the normal range? I ask because that is the side of the engine with the thermostat so it's a bit hotter there.

If coils and O2 sensors weren't changed with the heads they may have issues too. O2s could be coolant poisoned which could throw off readings randomly. Coils may have gotten too hot causing occasional failure. Most mechanics won't change these for a head job because it's rare for them to have issues unless the vehicle was driven for a very long time after head issues started.

Most other things that would cause that kind of issue would throw a code, like if the cam sensors had gotten too hot. Though at 212k it's possible there is a bit of metal residue on the cam/crank sensors or their timing wheels. That can throw off timing randomly but not enough to set a code.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,356 Posts
Only the upstream sensors will affect misfires. Downstreams are purely for cat monitoring.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts