The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I've been a member here for about 3 weeks and this is my first post. TONS of great info - aside from the '12 T&C Touring-L, we have owned an '05 Grand Caravan (which was a 4/04 build Stow & Go that had no badging whatsoever - some of the internal documentation in the van referred to it as "Store in the Floor."), so I hope to be able to reply to some posts with my own experiences.

Here's what's up: We bought our van used with 22k miles on it, and apparently it had been a previous Enterprise rental. Noticed a possible broken radial belt in one of the front tires (no bent wheel, had that checked) and wanted to replace all 4 with Michelin Defender XT's from Sam's Club in size 225/65R17. This is the only size available on every tire site I've checked when looking for tires. Went there today only to discover this thing has 235/60R16's, which I can't get the websites to acknowledge for this unless I enter a 2011 T&C Touring. Now, I suspected Enterprise or the dealership had swapped the tires out, but looking at the doorjamb label, this is the size that this van is calling for. Even the Chrysler website's "Build & Price" function claims that even the Touring should come with 17" wheels. I felt like an idiot for the fact that I hadn't even looked at the sidewalls before setting up the install. The only possibility I'm left with is this being a fleet or volume option that Enterprise has when ordering these from Chrysler? Maybe they're a lower cost wheel? :confused:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I posted about some confusion my dealer and I had between 16" alloys and 17" alloys on a Touring here. I mention it not that it would definitively explain your situation, but it would lead me to believe that it is more likely related to it being a fleet order.

ChryslerCares was kind enough to respond in that thread but their reply was inconsistent with what I saw, and continue to see, at the dealership. From what I have pieced together, Chrysler substituted 17" wheels w/HD brakes for the 16" wheels w/standard brakes on the Tourings for a period of time starting after initial production and through January 10th. Chrysler seems pretty flexible about making that change. My dealer still insists they have no way of specifying which they get - it is just "luck of the draw". Since the color I wanted was "late availability", and no other units could be found with it, I accepted the 16s.

I am pretty sure the 16" is a lower-cost option. Not only is the alloy wheel smaller, but the 16" tire is a Kumho and the 17"s are Michelins.

The bad news for both of us is that we have the BRE brakes instead of the BR3. It seems to be controversial, but they are indeed different - just find a 16" Touring next to a 17" Touring/Touring-L/Limited at your dealership, and the discs and calipers are noticeably "beefier" with the BR3.

Good luck on your new T&C... and post back about your experience with the Michelins. I plan on getting those same tires at Costco when my OEM Kumhos wear out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Micvog - thanks for the info! Reading through your other post, I think this is exactly what I'm experiencing. Not so glad to hear about the brakes, though - but we'll see what turns up down the road I guess. (Not that I can do too much about it now!) Unfortunately, I won't be getting the Michelin's as they don't offer the Defender XT's in the 16" size. I've opted for some BF Goodrich Advantage T/A's, which I'm told by Sam's is made by Michelin but they had to be ordered. They do offer the Michelin Primacy MXV4 and Latitude Tour in that size, but they're much closer to the $200 mark each.

My luck of the draw - the van we chose out of several has the smaller wheels. Nice. Thanks again!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Here's another scenario:

Friends of ours bought a 2011 T&C and didn't like the Chrome wheels too "flashy" for their taste. So the dealer swapped them for them and discounted the price of the van. So this is another possible way of having different wheels then what it's supposed to. But in your case, the fleet could also make sense.

·
Registered
516 Posts
The 2011 Crew is supposed to come with 17" wheels as well, ours is also an Enterprise rental with the 16" wheels and same size tires as you.

I would say it's a lower-cost option for a fleet order - given they come with the Kumho tires when equipped with 16" wheels.

If someone could come up with the exact differences between the braking systems and add them to my Tow Package thread (see link in my signature) I would appreciate it! Once my brakes are out of warranty if I have trouble with them I'd like to figure out if we can upgrade to the "heavy duty" brakes and how to do it...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts