The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Status Update -

I have fixed my minivan's starting issue with the $25.00 fuel pump relay bypass cable from Vertical Visions. It was easy, even for an 85 y.o. like me. The minivan starts perfectly now.

Thank you Sienile.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
3,034 Posts
I have fixed my minivan's starting issue with the $25.00 fuel pump relay bypass cable from Vertical Visions. It was easy, even for an 85 y.o. like me. The minivan starts perfectly now.
No problem. Beware that the bypass cable also bypasses the fuel system safety (cuts off pump in a wreck). So now that you've verified that's the issue, you should get one of the bypass modules to have that safety work again.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
... Beware that the bypass cable also bypasses the fuel system safety (cuts off pump in a wreck). So now that you've verified that's the issue, you should get one of the bypass modules to have that safety work again.
I am thinking of this one: I see that its description contains
"... power to the fuel pump will be removed during a crash since it uses the same connections as the dealer-installed Dodge/Jeep external relay."
I can order it later this evening.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
3,034 Posts
Either one is fine. The other has more features for testing the fuel pump and all, but that's something you really don't need. Main thing is restoring the crash safety. Last thing you'd want is to get in a crash and everything catch fire because gas is spraying.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Main thing is restoring the crash safety.
1) I have found that the fuel pump relay bypass cable from Vertical Visions can get power from either the cigarette lighter fuse slot or from the run/start fuse slot (M37 = the same slot their circuit board uses.) I switched the cable to run/start slot, so I believe I am now protected by the Chrysler crash system. Meanwhile I received the circuit board so I will replace the cable with the circuit board.

2) The remote start stopped working and I noticed that the check engine light was on. I reset the check engine light and the remote start worked properly. The check engine light came back on the next day after 30 miles of operation. The remote start only worked during that time the light was off. Auto Zone checked code as P0441 Evap Emission Purge Flow.

3) Chrysler Customer care/Case Management has notified me that:
"The part is expected to arrive at the dealership today. When it comes to the A\C compressor, according to the repair order, the dealership found it was seized up and replaced it. We would not be refunding the repair. Being that you have addressed your concern with your vehicle not starting, and the part is being delivered, I will close this case. "

That is a bummer. They did not give me a chance to explain:
The a/c was running when I first drove the minivan to the dealer.
When I went to pick up the minivan with new A/C it would not start. A/C had not been the problem.
The dealer's service guy claimed to the contrary, that the serpentine belt was wrapped in the A/C, seizing the A/C and fraying the belt.

4) The dealer service called today while I was writing this. He expected to replace the fuse block they just received. I explained how I already fixed it with the test/bypass cable and then the plugin relay system. I believe he does not know that I contacted corporate. I said I didn't accept their story and don't want to pay for the A/C. He said he will look for the old part to show me.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
3,034 Posts
The purge valve is the black thing behind the air filter box in the left rear corner of the engine bay (as you are looking at it from the front). 90% chance replacing it will fix the code. Remote start will not work with an engine light on.
If while you had the bypass cable in, you had the key on for a long time without the engine running or had the bypass cable in the always hot spot, that might have caused it as well. If that's the case, clear it and see if it comes back.

The whole A/C bit does seem sketchy. Unless they can show you your old compressor and the pulley is jammed with belt debris, I still say it sounds like they ripped you off.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts