The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rear power liftgate is having difficulty opening and closing. From a closed position, the lights will flash and nothing will happen. From an open position, the motor will engage to try and close the liftgate, will move a couple issues and start making a loud clicking noise and reverse back up.

The other issue is a few times in the last couple months since this liftgate issue has surfaced, the better will drain. Wife went out this morning and battery was dead. Seems as though something to do with that entire power liftgate mechanism is trying to cinch the liftgate closed or keeping something live.

Before I start throwing parts at it, anyone ran into anything similar?

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
The lift gate on our 07 had similar issues a couple times. One, when the battery was getting weak. Two, when the lift struts were getting weak. Does it work better when the engine is running?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The lift gate on our 07 had similar issues a couple times. One, when the battery was getting weak. Two, when the lift struts were getting weak. Does it work better when the engine is running?
No running or not doesn't seem to matter. I think I will try changing out the struts. They do seem stiffer than normal, maybe that is impeding the function and the sensors and whirlygig thingamajob is encountering too much resistance. Most of the strut failures I've come across online seem to discuss the struts failing where they no longer hold up the liftgate.

I will report back unless I trade it in first. :D

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Yeah, so, I asked about running or not because I figure if it still acts up, it means it's not a battery thing. Struts are the logical choice now, to me at least.

Although maybe the wonky lift gate is a symptom and not a cause of the battery drain?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, so, I asked about running or not because I figure if it still acts up, it means it's not a battery thing. Struts are the logical choice now, to me at least.

Although maybe the wonky lift gate is a symptom and not a cause of the battery drain?

Just went to Napa and put in two new lift struts. Happy to report it is working normally now. (y)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts