The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know more? I know the values of the different fuels but not enough about this engine.

Is 87 octane ok? i.e. whats the compression ratio and does it adjust for the fuels etc...

thanks

·
20 year old enthusiast
10,108 Posts
Actually 87 octane is available anywhere you go, so it is ok to use, You must probably think that because it said FLEXFUEL you only use E-85 right? Well no, E-85 is another alternative you use and more cleaner I think (Don't know much about fuel and such) but gives you poor gas mileage, whereas 87 octane gives you better fuel mileage. The performance is the same if you use either fuel,if i'm wrong i'd like someone to correct me. So yes it is recommended you use 87 octane as it won't harm anything and will give you better fuel mileage. Hope I was help to you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually 87 octane is available anywhere you go, so it is ok to use, You must probably think that because it said FLEXFUEL you only use E-85 right? Well no, E-85 is another alternative you use and more cleaner I think (Don't know much about fuel and such) but gives you poor gas mileage, whereas 87 octane gives you better fuel mileage. The performance is the same if you use either fuel,if i'm wrong i'd like someone to correct me. So yes it is recommended you use 87 octane as it won't harm anything and will give you better fuel mileage. Hope I was help to you.

E-85 is around 100 octane so I was thinking the engine might need at least 93 or higher when using gas instead of E-85.....if the compression is low enough it wont knock or harm anything with lower octane

however if its a fairly hi compression engine it would knock on 87 and could damage parts...I guess I can look on the engine makers page I found earlier

·
Super Moderator
23,866 Posts
From page 530 of the 2013 T&C Owner Manual:
Fuel Requirements
If your vehicle is E-85 compatible, it will operate on unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 87, or E-85 fuel, or any mixture of these two fuels.

·
Latent car nut
8,965 Posts
E-85 is around 100 octane so I was thinking the engine might need at least 93 or higher when using gas instead of E-85.....if the compression is low enough it wont knock or harm anything with lower octane

however if its a fairly hi compression engine it would knock on 87 and could damage parts...I guess I can look on the engine makers page I found earlier
I think you're thinking about your engine backwards. Your engine was designed to be a gasoline fueled engine which can optionally be fueled with E-85, not the other way around.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think you're thinking about your engine backwards. Your engine was designed to be a gasoline fueled engine which can optionally be fueled with E-85, not the other way around.
I had not looked at it that way but true, though Im looking at it like my supercharged focus SVT

if I run 87 octane in it it will pop from compression and detonation issues

even w/o the supercharger it still needs 93+ octane to be safe

·
Super Moderator
4,822 Posts
I had not looked at it that way but true, though Im looking at it like my supercharged focus SVT

if I run 87 octane in it it will pop from compression and detonation issues

even w/o the supercharger it still needs 93+ octane to be safe
All I run in my 13 is 87, never a ping or a problem.

Most of Fords lineup uses the Ecoboost turbo engines which run on 87 just fine. The exceptions would be your SVT the Taurus and Mustang maybe?

·
Super Moderator
4,822 Posts
In my defence "stopper" reopened the thread :biggrin:

The OP hasn't posted since Sept of 2013..:lol:

·
Latent car nut
8,965 Posts
In my defence "stopper" reopened the thread :biggrin:

The OP hasn't posted since Sept of 2013..:lol:
And just like that "Stopper" has been stopped (banned) for spamming. :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts