The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else noticed the different calipers on the 2013 vans? We cruised through the dealer's lot over the weekend and I spotted them. They look slightly bigger on the rotors, and the calipers look like a large dual piston design. The rears also look different. I didn't notice if the rears are vented now. I also checked the window sticker to see if these vans got HD brakes, but I didn't see anything other than a trailer sway option.

Here's some pics I took.

Fronts

Rears

Are these different than the previous years?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Those are the same brakes as our 2012 R/T ("HD brakes" our model year).

Thread drift; how long does a car have to sit to get rotors that rusted?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Those are the same brakes as our 2012 R/T ("HD brakes" our model year).

Thread drift; how long does a car have to sit to get rotors that rusted?
Just a few days, depending on humidity. I've gotten a coat of rust like that on a car that sits outside over the weekend....comes off quick after one or two stops

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
The fronts are dual piston calipers now. The rear rotors are not vented. Best feeling brakes I have ever driven. The window sticker does not mention anything about the brake package the tip off is the 17" wheels.
Thread drift Side bar: the car dealers refer to the rust build up as "lot rot"

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Just a few days, depending on humidity. I've gotten a coat of rust like that on a car that sits outside over the weekend....comes off quick after one or two stops
I see this was your first post, welcome to the site!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay guys, thanks! I've been out of the loop for a bit so I wasn't aware of the HD brake change over. It's about freakin' time. These vans are seriously underbraked.

Anyways, I did further digging on Rock Auto and found the differences between the old vs new HD style. My suspicions were right, the HD brakes are a dual piston caliper.

Front Caliper
Older style

Newer style

The rotors are larger also.
Front
Old: 302mm
New: 330mm

Rear
Old: 305mm
New: 328mm

This rocks. I may look into converting our '10 over to the 12+ HD style. Rock Auto has the front caliper and bracket assembly for $74 each. Should be a direct bolt on, and our van has the 17" wheels so it should clear the wheels.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
My concern with doing an upgrade like this is the unknowns like; is the master cylinder bore larger? Are the frt hoses different? Is the ABS calibration different? Hope you can make it work because the brakes on my 13 T&C rock!

·
Registered
300 Posts
I've had a 2007 T&C Touring, a 2010 T&C WPC edition with the 4.0, a 2011 T&C Touring L and now a 2013 T&C Touring L.

The brakes on the 2013 are orders of magnitude better than the earlier brakes, although I would say the ones on the 2007 were in second place, being much better than the ones on the '10 or the '11. The ones on the 2010 weren't too bad, but I only had it a little over a year. The 2011 brakes were terrible. I had it back to the dealer several times as after just one hard stop, the kind you occasionally have to make on the expressway in rush hour traffic, and the brakes were so hot that it took quite a while for them to cool off and regain any kind of decent braking power.

They felt so bad my wife wouldn't even drive the 2011 anymore. That's the main reason I got the 2013.

The new brakes on the 2013 have a completely different feel and the effort required on the brake pedal is half what it was on the 2011 to apply the same braking force.

I tried to find the published specs for the brakes on both the 2011 and the 2013 to compare them, and the only literature I could find on the 'net showed the brake specs to be the same on both vans, but the front calipers on the '13 are obviously dual piston and the rears look different also.

The 2013 also seems to have much improved fit and finish and the '13 is much quieter and has a noticeably better ride.

·
Premium Member
4,203 Posts
I've had a 2007 T&C Touring, a 2010 T&C WPC edition with the 4.0, a 2011 T&C Touring L and now a 2013 T&C Touring L.

The brakes on the 2013 are orders of magnitude better than the earlier brakes, although I would say the ones on the 2007 were in second place, being much better than the ones on the '10 or the '11. The ones on the 2010 weren't too bad, but I only had it a little over a year. The 2011 brakes were terrible. I had it back to the dealer several times as after just one hard stop, the kind you occasionally have to make on the expressway in rush hour traffic, and the brakes were so hot that it took quite a while for them to cool off and regain any kind of decent braking power.

They felt so bad my wife wouldn't even drive the 2011 anymore. That's the main reason I got the 2013.

The new brakes on the 2013 have a completely different feel and the effort required on the brake pedal is half what it was on the 2011 to apply the same braking force.

I tried to find the published specs for the brakes on both the 2011 and the 2013 to compare them, and the only literature I could find on the 'net showed the brake specs to be the same on both vans, but the front calipers on the '13 are obviously dual piston and the rears look different also.

The 2013 also seems to have much improved fit and finish and the '13 is much quieter and has a noticeably better ride.
I don't see a difference between the ride so much on the '13 except when loaded down and using the hitch hauler with my mom's chair on the back. The '11 would have issues with sway where the '13 has alleviated the sway. They were supposed to have added some sort of "sway control" to the 2013 and I am thinking that is the only difference I am seeing.
The brakes on the other hand are touchy compared to the 2011. They feel a lot stronger. The throttle seems to be more touchy too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Today I ordered front & rear HD (dual piston ft and larger rotors and pads all around) calipers, caliper brackets, dust shields, rotors and pads from a 13 T&C with the upgraded VIN for my 2010 T&C. The hub and brake lines list as the same part #'s as my 2010 T&C so should be a bolt on upgrade. My cost for the front is $542.30 and $614.35 for the rear. I'm doing the work myself.

I was going to go with a EBC, Brembo or Hawk rotor & pad set up for my van but the cost was almost as much as the HD swap and they would still be undersized! But I'm not sure about how the master cylinder will like the extra piston to push but I'm sure it will be fine. ABS should be no trouble either.

I'll let you all know how it works out with pictures and part #'s when I'm done.

·
Premium Member
2,131 Posts
I looked up the parts a while back, the master cylinders are different also. Hope it goes well.
I did something similar to my moms Subaru. I put later models rotors and calipers along with the knuckles on the front.
I put a sticker under the hood indicating that it had upgraded brakes along with the model year the parts came from.
It made a huge difference in stopping power.

Today I ordered front & rear HD (dual piston ft and larger rotors and pads all around) calipers, caliper brackets, dust shields, rotors and pads from a 13 T&C with the upgraded VIN for my 2010 T&C. The hub and brake lines list as the same part #'s as my 2010 T&C so should be a bolt on upgrade. My cost for the front is $542.30 and $614.35 for the rear. I'm doing the work myself.

I was going to go with a EBC, Brembo or Hawk rotor & pad set up for my van but the cost was almost as much as the HD swap and they would still be undersized! But I'm not sure about how the master cylinder will like the extra piston to push but I'm sure it will be fine. ABS should be no trouble either.

I'll let you all know how it works out with pictures and part #'s when I'm done.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)

I think the MC will be fine. I did a similar swap to a Mustang a few years ago (dual piston Cobra calipers on a GT) and had no issues with the MC, ABS, or traction control.

I noticed you didn't mention rotors. You will need the larger rotor to work properly with the new calipers. I'm curious if the HD Chrysler rotors are better than the non-HD rotors. I think the non-HD Chrysler rotors are junk! I replaced them with some Raybestos ones (plus Akebono pads) on our 08 and it made a world of difference.

Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
Registered
21 Posts
This rocks. I may look into converting our '10 over to the 12+ HD style. Rock Auto has the front caliper and bracket assembly for $74 each. Should be a direct bolt on, and our van has the 17" wheels so it should clear the wheels.
Please let us know if this works for you - I also would love to do this to my 2011 R/T.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts