The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every time I drive or let it run for an extended period of time I can turn it off and restart it multiple times in a row. Once I open and close the door it just clicks when trying to start. After multiple tries it will finally start and then the same outcome once I open and close the door. I have replaced the starter,batter and starter relay. My TIPM and starter relay that's part of the TIPM are in working order.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,320 Posts
Sounds like a loose connection at the starter or battery.

·
Registered
619 Posts
What clicks? A relay or the starter? A voltmeter should tell you pretty quick what's happening.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The starter clicks to engage but dosnt start and then you can hear the cycle end and it clicks again. Starter and Relays have been replaced TIPM and integrated relay for the starter are working as they should. Everything from starter to battery and relays were checked and nothing was out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,320 Posts
Yes, not just the positive, but also the negative on the battery and where it bolts to the transmission.

This could be an ignition switch issue also. I'm not sure if the codes we'd be looking for would come up on the key dance.

No sensor would cause this. The issue is not enough power to the starter... or a bad starter, battery, etc.

Reactions: Cciman

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As stated previously. Starter is new, battery is new relays are new TIPM and integrated relay are working as they should, all voltages are where they should be and all wires and straps are tight and clean of corrosion. Problem was there before and still remains after replacement

·
Registered
538 RWHP, LS motor, RX7 body
583 Posts
Are you sure it is related to opening and closing the door? What if you turn it off while the door is open, can you restart it (how do you get gas)? If you open and close while it is running, does anything happen?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
starter is new and the same problem was present befor the start was swapped out. Both new and old starter have been tested and are in working order. I never shut my vehicles off when fueling. I cant start it multiple times in a row befor opening the door, once I open the door and close it the vehicle wont start until after multiple tries or after sitting an extended time. I can do the same thing with the door open but once the door is opened and then closed it wont start.

·
Registered
564 Posts
As anything electrical related, I would recommend working your way backwards. In this case, from the starter. Check if it sees 12v, the starter coil should since it clicks, but still worth checking. Follow the cable to the next connection and check there. You should eventually find the problem.

·
Registered
538 RWHP, LS motor, RX7 body
583 Posts
I cant start it multiple times in a row befor opening the door, once I open the door and close it the vehicle wont start until after multiple tries or after sitting an extended time. I can do the same thing with the door open but once the door is opened and then closed it wont start.
Interesting. Correlation or causation?
Any door (sliders) or just the driver"s.
Security system?

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,320 Posts
Enable Tip Start, if you have the EVIC cluster or AlfaOBD. That won't necessarily fix the issue, but it should attempt to start up for a few seconds after just a touch with the key. If it doesn't have the issue then, it's likely the issue is in the ignition switch (WIN).

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts