The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that it's getting warmer out we turned the A/C on today and noticed that the air was not cool at all. I can hear a very loud hissing (refrigerant?) under the driver's side leg/steering area. The air in the back is hot. I attempted the HVAC Vent Reset that was posted on here a while ago by holding AUTO and SYNC for 5 seconds. I have also tried moving the temperature up to HIGH and LOW multiple times in different zones. I did also check the HVAC Filter under glovebox but that is only 10 months old if that. At this point I am trying to pinpoint where to being before taking it into a shop if that is even needed. I am wondering if its out of freon or if I have a freon leak like others have posted about in the rear evaporator.

I do see a decent amount of condensate coming out but a lot in the rear. It is extremely humid here in the midwest. The A/C worked great last year (Fall 2019). This is a 2013 T/C L with Rear Air and 145K miles.

Any suggestions regarding this would be great. I have thought about getting a gauge and some freon to check if that is the problem.

·
Super Moderator
24,196 Posts
Condensate coming out = something is working.

Check the temperature of the ac lines under the hood. hot? cold?

Can you hear the compressor clutch engaging?

Sounds like your ac isn't turned on at the dash controls.

Getting more into it, this Thread may be of help down the road once you get a better feel for what is going on.

Don't let the rear evaporator distract you. Other things happen just as often, like being low on refrigerant from other leaks, some only happening during the cold winter weather..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just inspected the rear is it looks like oil and not condensate. I did not hear the AC engage when I tried a few minutes ago. This morning I did hear the compressor click in with fans running by the radiator. I was wondering if the blend door is stuck or like you suggested low refrigerant. I will take a trip to Walmart or Advance Auto and pick up a recharge kit with a gauge to see the levels.

Condensate coming out = something is working.

Check the temperature of the ac lines under the hood. hot? cold?

Can you hear the compressor clutch engaging?

Sounds like your ac isn't turned on at the dash controls.

Getting more into it, this Thread may be of help down the road once you get a better feel for what is going on.

Don't let the rear evaporator distract you. Other things happen just as often, like being low on refrigerant from other leaks, some only happening during the cold winter weather..

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
443 Posts
I would suggest have a local mechanic have a look, because AC systems are tough to find the source of the leak, assuming there is one. Sometime a "hissing sound" is a result of not enough refrigerant in the system, or there is air or water inside the system itself, and plenty of members have recharged their ac systems and the hissing sound vanished.

But it is a 2013, that's quite new, my 09 still has a decent charge from factory.

·
Super Moderator
24,196 Posts
I just inspected the rear is it looks like oil and not condensate. I did not hear the AC engage when I tried a few minutes ago. This morning I did hear the compressor click in with fans running by the radiator. I was wondering if the blend door is stuck or like you suggested low refrigerant. I will take a trip to Walmart or Advance Auto and pick up a recharge kit with a gauge to see the levels.
If your refrigerant is down, the compressor won't kick in. You say your compressor is kicking in. Refrigerant could be low enough that there is very little cool air being produced, yet not quite low enough that the compressor won't kick in.

Have you checked the pipes for cold? hot?

With heavy humidity, system may be in demist mode. Check the vents at the windshield.

Won't hurt to have a recharge kit handy anyway. You can check your static and your operating pressure with the kit, to see what's going on and get back to us.

Keep listening for the clutch engaging and the fans coming on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
No A/C here as well, I'd like to know what you find out. I tried recharging, it wouldn't accept coolant, compressor isn't kicking in. (I'll start a new thread if necessary)

·
Super Moderator
24,196 Posts
No A/C here as well, I'd like to know what you find out. I tried recharging, it wouldn't accept coolant, compressor isn't kicking in. (I'll start a new thread if necessary)
What was your "static" pressure? near 90psi?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A bit delayed in my response. I got a gauge and refrigerant over the weekend and found that without A/C Compressor on and engaged the pressure was 15 psi which is too low? I was able to charge to 32 psi but it only held the charge for about 10 to 15 minutes before dropping to 20 psi range. I am affriad its a big leak 🙁. I scheduled an appointment for a full diagnostics to turn dye through the system to find all leak(s). Hoping it doesn't break the bank 🙄

·
Registered
17 Posts
Unfortunately, it sounds like your rear evaporator has sprung a leak. This is a very common situation with these vans because the tubing connection to the evaporator is directly behind the right rear tire and exposed to all sorts of road salt. Replacing the rear evaporator is a fairly involved procedure and might be something you would rather leave to a professional, but there is a good YouTube video (below) that shows an installation on a 2011 van (same evaporator).
Good Luck,
Dave

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks Dave! I saw that when researching. Its a fairly decent amount of steps but if it saves hundreds of dollars, it's worth it. I have a fair amount of time on my hands also due to the pandemic limiting hours at my work.

I have a leak check appointment scheduled at a shop my brother works at and they are always very reasonably priced. I will know the leak locations tomorrow and then can assess my options.

Unfortunately, it sounds like your rear evaporator has sprung a leak. This is a very common situation with these vans because the tubing connection to the evaporator is directly behind the right rear tire and exposed to all sorts of road salt. Replacing the rear evaporator is a fairly involved procedure and might be something you would rather leave to a professional, but there is a good YouTube video (below) that shows an installation on a 2011 van (same evaporator).
Good Luck,
Dave

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know this is a super late response but here we go. I took my TC into the shop and they did a full evac + rechange with dye. They looked all over and couldn't find the leak. So here we are three weeks later and it's still blowing nice and cold! I am very thankful it was a simple evac + recharge. The best part is it only cost me $60 bucks!

I guess it mysteriously lost charge over the wintertime? 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
5 Posts
I got a service and it lasted for a few weeks, we need to take it back for them to find the leak.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I just had to recharge ours a few days ago. Hoping it holds.

·
Super Moderator
24,196 Posts
Cold temperature leaks, during the winter time, will do it, according to a Shop I go to.

That rear evaporator "supposed" leak seems to be a favorite area to pick on at the Shops. A few years back, a Shop was tending toward the rear evaporator as a solution to no air conditioning on my 2007 GC, without even having done any testing or investigation. I went to a different Shop and they recharged the system. The air conditioning worked well for the next two summers that I had the vehicle.

What I am thinking is that the rear evaporator is a "pat" answer that brings in revenue.

Another solution, temporary or permanent though it may be, is a sealant.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts