The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have meant to get to the bottom of this for years and hoping somebody has an answer. Ever since our 2013 was under warranty, hard acceleration, full floor flat, such as joining the highway, seems to fill the the cabin with fumes. It usually takes 20 or so seconds after the event for the smell to be become apparent. I then usually open the rear quarter windows and open a drivers front a little to let flow through air flush it out. I had the van inspected under warranty and the dealer said they couldn't duplicate. I very, very rarely floor the vehicle anyway, so I kind of let it go, albeit foolishly maybe. I could never work out if the fumes were exhaust or spent oil, but they sure irritate my nose. The good news is though, my sense of smell has deteriorated over the last few years. We've only done 50k miles in the 6 years we've owned the van. Anyone?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Best way to explain it is raw gas enters the converter and a chemical reaction occurs. It puts off a smell similar to sulphur. My 18 does same thing but has become less noticable. Only 14k and been awhile since I have noticed it. Some claim new converter fixes it some not so. Lots of complaining especially new cars of all makes

·
Super Moderator
4,787 Posts
Take a look in the passenger rear wheel well to see if the seal around the rear heater hoses is in place. This foam seals the floor pan to the alum heater lines, it was not installed correctly on my 13 TC from the factory.
If I can find the pictures I took, I'll post them here.

·
Super Moderator
4,787 Posts
The first picture is from inside the van with the right rear interior trim removed. I have a bright light under the van to highlight where the seal was missing.
The others show how I found the plastic retainer and how it should be when installed.
under this plastic retainer is where the foam seal fits.
I was able to get the seal back in place without having to remove the coolant hoses. I used some glue to keep the seal from moving.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The exhaust manifolds on these vans can warp pretty good after awhile. There is no manifold gasket from the factory so a lot of fumes can come from there.

Also the egr tube. If it's ever been removed the little gasket between the tube and the egr valve is easy to lose. Maybe someone omits it for reinstallation. Lots of fumes from there. I know this because that's exactly what I did.

edit. To clarify this is all in relation to the 3.3 or 3.8 litre. Not Pentastar.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the response. Not sure if I would able to restore all the trim without goofing it up, so may let this one be. Great pics though !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts