The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Grand Caravan
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had a P0750 code and brought the van into a local transmission shop. They diagnosed it as a solenoid pack and replaced it and I had them replace the cooler lines while it was in there.

Anyway, when I went to pick it up they said it didn't have much wear and didn't need any work besides the pack. There was an issue with the payment system so I had to go back a few days later to pay. When I got there, the same guy that said everything was fine said I should bring it back in 10k miles because it had a lot of wear material (WTF?). Seemed opposite of what he said a few days earlier. Then showed me a magnet on a table with a bunch of metal shavings stuck to it. I have no idea if it was actually mine or not.

Does anyone have a pic of a used transmission pan magnet? Just trying to see if this guy is trying to sell me phantom services or if he somehow forgot to mention a problem. Seems odd. Thanks

·
Registered
538 RWHP, LS motor, RX7 body
583 Posts
When I opened mine at 149k miles, the magnet was covered in a thick grey paste of fine metal powder in oil. Had to wipe it off with a paper towel. Normal. Visible or tactile shavings are abnormal.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Fuzzy magnet (clutch material is an iron compound) is ok as is a black/gray film on the pan. Chunks of metal in the pan are not ok, typically aluminum which is not magnetic. Scot_W posted a nice picture of normal/acceptable magnet fuzz.

I trust the shop refilled with licensed atf+4 or you may be back after 10k miles for other reasons.

·
Registered
2014 Ram C/V, black, delete seats, windows, factory hitch
185 Posts
The whitish flecks in that picture are just reflections of light, so yes, no metal, just fuzz, pretty thick fuzz, and that was from the clutches as the tranny was slipping badly at that point. Even at that, I cleaned it all up and changed the ATF and filter, and it ran great for 700 more miles until it started doing it again. At that point I opted for a reman tranny.

·
Registered
538 RWHP, LS motor, RX7 body
583 Posts
Where you having drivability symptoms?
Did they flush the system and change oil and filter, along with the solenoid? <-- may have fixed it.

Drive it around for 10k miles and if no symptoms, wait for the next failure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts