The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a 2014 Caravan V6 regular gas engine (not flex) . I have a P0420 code, bank 1 catalytic converter below threshhold. The vehicle has 121,000. Miles on it.

The code appeared a few months ago, with a solid check engine light, but no issues on performance. A couple weeks ago, a P0301 code appeared with flashing check engine lite, I brought it in for service immediately. The shop repaired the misfire on Cyl. #1, replacing the spark plug and coil, and reset both codes.

After driving 210 miles, the P0420 code has reappeared. There is no performance issues and no other codes currently.

I am located in New York State, which uses the California emmisions and a California catalytic converter. Is it likely I have a bad converter at this point and is there anything else I can do?

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.
Thank You.

Joe S.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
3,517 Posts
Did they only replace that spark plug or all of them? Their lifespan is 80-100k. If all were replaced then look for exhaust leaks. If you don't find any, it's the cat.

·
Super Moderator
28,480 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would you suggest replacing the other spark plugs and coils, and /or the O2 sensors?
About 50k on plugs 2-6, #1 plug and coil are new. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
28,480 Posts
Bank 1 is the bank with #1 plug. Interesting that an issue showed up with #1 plug out of the blue. What did they find when they removed it or did they just throw parts at it. Are the other plugs original OE Champions?
Replacement is at 100,000 miles per schedule. Champion Iridium spark plugs can last longer than that but changing them is recommended..
What's your driving conditions? short trips? cold weather? lots of idling?
CHAMPION Warranty Information:
Iridium plugs 7 years - Double Platinum Power 5 years - Platinum Power 3 years - Copper Plus 2 years
What grade gas are you using? Change suppliers and see if there's a difference.

Catalytic converters don't show up as a typical/reported problem with the 2014s.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply.

Shop did not say what they found, just replaced cyl#1 plug and coil, reset codes. Not sure what type of plugs the others are, but they have at least 50k miles on them.

My daily commute is 30 minutes each way, we have cold weather (Buffalo, N.Y.), not alot of idling, thruway commute, 87 octane gas, I will try a different supplier for that.

Again, the van currently runs strong with great acceleration and no hiccups. Please advise. Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
28,480 Posts
Oxygen sensors, are they OE or aftermarket?

·
Registered
2001 T&C 3.8L 182,000 miles
51 Posts
When you decide to use the van ''offroad" , use RTV red silicone on the oxygen sensor to turn off your p0420 code for "offroad" use. it can damage sensor but since it is used off road it dose not matter. DONOT use it on the WRONG sensor. I have to discolse this is illegal except for offroad/farm use and some states dont do emission testing. Do at your own risk

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
3,517 Posts
When you decide to use the van ''offroad" , use RTV red silicone on the oxygen sensor to turn off your p0420 code for "offroad" use. it can damage sensor but since it is used off road it dose not matter. DONOT use it on the WRONG sensor. I have to discolse this is illegal except for offroad/farm use and some states dont do emission testing. Do at your own risk
Ah, the old trade a P0420 for a P0139. Then your cat gets straight clogged and you get a P0172 because your upstream sensor is choking. FYI, that's illegal in every state, even the ones that don't do emissions testing. It is a federal offense to alter any vehicle emissions device in a way that is intended to defeat its purpose. You're just more likely to get caught where they do testing.

·
Registered
2013 Grand Caravan SE
31 Posts
Original OEM, purchased vehicle new and have never been replaced.
I have a 2013 DGC and i dealt with the Po420 code for months trying to avoid a cat replace. I finally changed the upstream sensor on bank 1. Code went away, 3 weeks later came back changed the downstream and no problem since. I bought a scanner you can monitor while driving and watched that while my wife drove and thats how I figured out to change the sensors.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I appreciate the input and I will definitely check that out. Would be nice if that would be the fix on mine and not the Cat!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts