The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Clickity clack noises, being told that my strut mounting plates need to be replaced? over a thousand dollars at the dealership. are these the plates that come on my struts when i purchase them with the coil springs already installed on them??? can someone maybe show me a pic of it? should I just buy a new set of struts? love you guys.. appreciate any info.

·
Registered
2017 DGC SXT
374 Posts
Yes, the strut mount and bearings are the piece at the top of a pre-assembled strut. It’s the piece that turns and the top of the strut and it has three bolts sticking out of the top.

A thousand dollars is a lot of money. Just replace the struts at that point. You can buy good quick struts that are already assembled for about $150 a side. The labor isn’t too hard so I recommend doing it yourself if you know how to.

KYB or OEM are the best when it comes to struts. Of course, OEM is preferred but sometimes they’re too expensive.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I changed them with basic tools in my driveway, took me about 30min per side, but you do need some bigger sockets and a few tricky bolts to remove the sway bar links. Once the new struts went in, alignment was needed so around 400$ all together in parts including alignment. Now after 500 mi the right side is making a click sound when turning the wheel so im not sure whats going on but I also haven't had time to inspect it. I suspect the spring is shifting as I saw a post on FB where someone recorded the spring moving while the tire was rotated.
I also went for Monroe R/T specific struts and I do miss the soft ride of the old ones, but the wife much prefers the van being way more stable and responsive.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,356 Posts
For $1k they better be doing both full strut assemblies and not just mounts. I've been running a KYB and a Mopar for over 7 years, but it's about time to replace them. The KYB creaked a bit last winter and they both flutter on very bumpy roads. I'd say the KYBs are very close to OEM quality. You might get an extra year off the Mopar, but for the price it's usually not worth it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
this is the best place. you folks are awesome. I knew I wasn't loosing my mind. I knew it was what I thought it was. get this. I put those struts in sometime about Aprilish. I think. the completed assembly, springs mount etc... I am gonna contact the company I purchased them from.. they may be under warranty from date of purchase. otherwise, yeah new struts again.
another question, with the popping they make.. what kind of time frame do I have here.. can they run a week..? or two?? maybe?? popping says they are failing, what happens when they fail?? weird minds would like to know...

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,356 Posts
Worst case, the spring unseats and that strut collapses, which could be a very bad thing depending on when it happens. Without seeing the problem I have no idea how long you'd be able to drive on it, but if you have noticeable movement from it, I'd avoid driving it.

What brand of struts?

Reactions: Mtfix20

·
Registered
2017 DGC SXT
374 Posts
I once bought a cheap pair of struts from eBay that had a similar issue to yours and the brand was TRQ (1Aauto). TRQ parts are OKish but the struts are junk. The struts weren’t for the van, they were for a smaller, lighter car.

Those things made a springy boing noise anytime you turned the steering wheel. They also rattled over bumps. They were like that for many months (it got worse over time) until I ended up getting OEM Kia struts from a junkyard. Couldn’t find any name brand quick struts for it. Sadly the Kia doesn’t have as many options for struts as these vans do.

I learned my lesson right away. Buy good quality parts ONCE. This will save you money because you won’t have to buy the cheap AND the good quality struts (after the cheap ones fail). You also won’t have to pay for another alignment, which I had to do.

Buy once, cry once. I go by that now.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,356 Posts
Firestone/Tires Plus offers a lifetime alignment. When I got it it was something like $270. Pretty sure it'd be a bit over $300 now. Sure beats $70-90 per alignment, especially since it took more than 20 to get everything right after the deer hit.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Firestone/Tires Plus offers a lifetime alignment. When I got it it was something like $270. Pretty sure it'd be a bit over $300 now. Sure beats $70-90 per alignment, especially since it took more than 20 to get everything right after the deer hit.
On the alignment note, I found that most shops got rid of the lifetime stuff, and now offer 1 year for say 40$ more than the one time alignment. I have not gone to firestone but last I recall they did have the lifetime unless they stopped also.

Having done 2 alingments now and 200$ in the hole I guess on my third one I will be 300$ in and I should have looked at one of those 1 year alignments as that would have saved me tons of money but I did not expect to be doing more than 1 alignment, next up if I do control arms there goes another one... Yikes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts