The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my 2014 Dodge Grand Caravan had issues with the heating not turning on. The cold air and AC worked fine, but when the knob was turned to the right (full red) no heat came out.

The person whom i bought the van from, helped me get a replacement unit (pics attached below), and everything worked for winter 2021 and spring 2022. I didn't use the heat until last week, when we had frost on the windshield in the morning.

I discovered that along my drive on the 401 that no heat had come out yet, it was only blowing cold air. I turned on the AC just to be sure, and the air naturally got much colder, so i knew that the AC was functioning, and that there was something wrong with the "heat".

This would be the 2nd unit installed in this van that is faulty.

The seller is willing to help me out with booking an appointment with his mechanic to see what is going on, but i'm not really wanting to start spending insane amounts of money on this, when it should be working.

Any reasons why this would happen?

Anything i should be looking for to help trouble shoot?

Thank you in advance for your help or suggestions.

Reflex camera Camera accessory Bumper Digital camera Gadget

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Auto part

·
Super Moderator
30,138 Posts
Check the coolant level in your radiator. If it's down below the heater pipe level, you won't get any heat except when going uphill, maybe.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Check the coolant level in your radiator. If it's down below the heater pipe level, you won't get any heat except when going uphill, maybe.

Thanks for your reply. I checked the levels, and it's low, but above what i think is the pipe level that you are referring to.

Please refer to the pic for these 2 questions:

A - is this the hose you are referring to, that connects to the bottom of the coolant tank? If so, the fluid is above where this black hoseconnects, but not by much. It looks like my coolant is low.

That being said, my temp gauge is usually at 12 noon, in the middle of the cold / hot gauge, as it normally has been. So nothing looks different or suspicious.

B - My coolant fluid level is roughly here, just above the piece where this black hose connects.

Lastly, what is the best coolant to buy for my van?

Thank you very much!
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Gas

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a similar problem which I asked last fall but never got any help on. I know my coolant level is good and the defroster at least is nice and toasty, but I get no floor heat. Any suggestions on repair?
My issue is completely different, as i get zero heat anywhere (haven't checked the rear heater yet though). The defrost is nothing but cold air.

However this unit worked last winter / spring and just wasn't used for any heat until last week. The cold air and AC work like a charm. Just having issues now (again) with any heat.

·
Super Moderator
30,138 Posts
Coolant can be down enough to get no heat in the cabin and with temperature still looking normal on the gauge.

Coolant to use depends on what's in there now. If unknown, or unsure, go for a universal coolant like Prestone 10 year life product, less than $20.00
Liquid Fluid Yellow Material property Service

Reactions: BandinVan

·
Registered
538 RWHP, LS motor, RX7 body
581 Posts
Open your radiator cap to see the fluid level. The tank can be deceiving.

If you live near a walmart, the walmart brand extended life, universal, is also fine for cheaper. Get the undiluted, and split it 50/50 with distilled water.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
To be honest, it's rather embarrassing, but i'll share anyways.

When i was driving and had no heat, i was turning the heat dial for the passenger side temp control but not the Driver side knob. So in all of my discontent and unnecessary excitement and frustration about the heater potentially not working again for the 2nd time, i overlooked the fact that i hadn't actually turned the driver side temp control to the right side (red).

When i discovered this about a week later, I literally smacked myself in the head with my hand.

Definitely a live and learn moment. Lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts