The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone!
A year ago I bought a 2014 Dodge GC with 75Km with a rebuilt title. The accident was in the driver's side B pillar and was repaired almost perfectly. I did not mind the title for the low price. The car comes with a sun/moon roof, nav, Blueray, two VIS screens, leather (faux?), rear backup camera, power tailgate, grand touring suspension, heavy-duty brakes, heavy-duty engine cooling, etc.

I recently:
1- installed a towing hitch for the bike rack (myself)
2- did a complete overhaul of the four brake calipers and painted them red (myself)
3- installed drilled/slotted rotors front and rear with new ceramic brake pads (myself)
4- did an egine oil replacement. Used Liqui Moli + Ceratec (myself)
5- did a transmission fluid replacement (myself)
6- replaced the tailgate window because the previous owner scratched most of the defogger grid wires, and the rear defogger was not working (auto glass shop)

The car runs great aside from the AC rear leak which I will post in a new thread.

Anyway, I just thought I would introduce myself/minivan to the forum and I will be asking for your help later on about several issues with the car (unrelated to the accident).
I am attaching some pictures here for perspective. The accident pictures are photos of the paper-printed pictures from the dealer I bought this car from.

Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
737 Posts
Looks amazing! Does it have auto high beams too? Power folding 3'd row? Subwoofer?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately it doesn't. I think those features you mentioned were on the R/T which was one trim higher that year. It does, however have photochromatic rear view mirror, power sliding doors, heated steering wheel, heated seats, and remote start, which are features I thought wouldn't be on a Crew trim model.

The only feature that I wish I had is the auto headlight feature, because I don't want to worry about turning the headlights on at night and off during the day. My previous 2006 Mazda 5 had this feature!

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
737 Posts
Unfortunately it doesn't. I think those features you mentioned were on the R/T which was one trim higher that year. It does, however have photochromatic rear view mirror, power sliding doors, heated steering wheel, heated seats, and remote start, which are features I thought wouldn't be on a Crew trim model.

The only feature that I wish I had is the auto headlight feature, because I don't want to worry about turning the headlights on at night and off during the day. My previous 2006 Mazda 5 had this feature!
So, you can add the switch with the auto function, if you replace it for yours, auto position will always turn the headlights on when the engine is running (as if it was always night)

The only other piece you need for them to work is the sun sensor, which sits aft of the center speaker spot as a black bubble. The connector may or may not be tapped to the main harness, you can only access by reaching either the driver footwell, or by reaching through the center speaker hole. Various people said it's not there but I checked a 2014 GCV cargo van and it had the sensor connector tapped to the harness. If you find the sensor connector, get the sensor and the auto switch, you will have auto headlights plug and play.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
So, you can add the switch with the auto function, if you replace it for yours, auto position will always turn the headlights on when the engine is running (as if it was always night)

The only other piece you need for them to work is the sun sensor, which sits aft of the center speaker spot as a black bubble. The connector may or may not be tapped to the main harness, you can only access by reaching either the driver footwell, or by reaching through the center speaker hole. Various people said it's not there but I checked a 2014 GCV cargo van and it had the sensor connector tapped to the harness. If you find the sensor connector, get the sensor and the auto switch, you will have auto headlights plug and play.
Well, I wanted to have this as a separate thread, but since we are on the topic, I did research this a few months ago. I changed the switch and got the headlights to always be on. As for the sensor, I have three-zone climate control, which requires a specific sensor. I had a sensor already but had three pins, while the connector to the sensor ahd four. I think I got the correct sensor now, but I still have the headlights always on. More research showed that there is a sales code (LMG) that needs to be added to my VIN and the BCM should be re-flashed. Checked with the local dealer and they had no idea what I was talking about and said they would have to charge 1 hour of diagnosis to figure out how they can do such a thing!

These are the links I found during my research. If someone has a better way to get this to work automatically and not be always on, I will be grateful.

Sales code sheet:
salescode.pdf (LMG on page 148)

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
737 Posts
Well, I wanted to have this as a separate thread, but since we are on the topic, I did research this a few months ago. I changed the switch and got the headlights to always be on. As for the sensor, I have three-zone climate control, which requires a specific sensor. I had a sensor already but had three pins, while the connector to the sensor ahd four. I think I got the correct sensor now, but I still have the headlights always on. More research showed that there is a sales code (LMG) that needs to be added to my VIN and the BCM should be re-flashed. Checked with the local dealer and they had no idea what I was talking about and said they would have to charge 1 hour of diagnosis to figure out how they can do such a thing!

These are the links I found during my research. If someone has a better way to get this to work automatically and not be always on, I will be grateful.

Sales code sheet:
salescode.pdf (LMG on page 148)
In appcar there is a tab for auto headlights, but when I checked, mine was already "set" from the factory. Once I plugged the sensor in it worked right away, after I unplugged it i got a trouble code that the sensor circuit is closed. A few others have done this and for them it was plug and play, I wonder why you guys are having issues?

If you're interested, you can buy appcar FCA, or alford OBD, each program costs 50USD and you have it for the lifetime of the vehicle. With these programs you can read every trouble code the vehicle has, and set as many options as you want as well. I added the factory power inverter, factory compass, factory dual overhead screens and dvd player, fog lights, auto climate, premium sound amplifier, all activated by appcar and all working as it was meant to.

You will need a OBD II connector, i use a BT one which plugs into the van and I connect BT to it from my laptop which has the program. Definitely a great program to diagnose anything, lots of test functions available on there as well for various components of the vehicle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks @Michalb! You are giving me hope. This is basically what I needed, a way to add the feature to my car's body control module, and seems that appcar can do this. I looked it up and it looks promising. I couldn't find "alford OBD". I might just go with appcar. $50US is nothing if appcar can provide all those new features without having to go to the dealer.

I will look for an OBD II connector online. Hopefully, amazon.ca has it

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
737 Posts
Thanks @Michalb! You are giving me hope. This is basically what I needed, a way to add the feature to my car's body control module, and seems that appcar can do this. I looked it up and it looks promising. I couldn't find "alford OBD". I might just go with appcar. $50US is nothing if appcar can provide all those new features without having to go to the dealer.

I will double check that you can indeed set the auto headlights on there first, pretty sure you can

·
Super Moderator
2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT (3.8); 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan eL (3.8)
2,072 Posts
I couldn't find "alford OBD"
It's AlfaOBD

I highly recommend OBDLink interfaces, both AlfaOBD and AppCar DiagFCA have the OBDLink interfaces in their recommended list. They cost more but I have been very happy with my OBDLink LX, and plan to upgrade to an OBDLink MX+ in the future.

·
Super Moderator
2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT (3.8); 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan eL (3.8)
2,072 Posts
Now, this is odd! I checked the supported vehicles on Appcar's website, but they don't support Grand Caravans. Could you please confirm you have used them for GC, @Michalb and @georgef ? Thanks!
Yes, I have used Appcar on my 2009 Grand Caravan.

Appcar's site mistakenly list it as "Dodge Caravan", the only Dodge minivans made after the 2007 model year are "Grand".

Reactions: Michalb and Ezzo

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, I found AlfaODB. Thanks @georgef ! However, they don't have Dodge or Chrysler under the supported vehicles either.
I found Chrysler T&C 2008-2017 under AppCar. I guess this means Dodge GC is supported too.

I found auto headlamp supported under:

Vehicle reconfiguration parameters
You can edit the following parameters:
TIPM Configurable Inputs.....
TIPM Configurable Outputs.....
TIPM Reconfigurable ParametersAdjustable Pedals; Auto Headlamp Enable; Bi Xenon Headlamps Enable; Combined Rear Lighting Enable; Door Alert; DRL Configuration; DRL Dropout Enable; DRL For Euro 4 Standard; DRL Lamp Location; Exterior Light Loadshed Enable; Front Fog Lamp Dropout Enable; Front Wiper Park Enable; Headlamp Level Motor Polarity; Headlamp Level Step 0; Headlamp Level Step 1; Headlamp Level Step 2; Headlamp Level Step 3; HID Enable; Left DRL Voltage Regulation; Left High Beam Voltage Regulation; Left Low Beam Voltage Regulation; One Touch Lane Change; Park Lamp Loadshed Enable; Quad Headlamps Enable; Rear Wiper Park Enable; Reversible Washer Pump Enable; Right DRL Voltage Regulation; Right High Beam Voltage Regulation; Right Low Beam Voltage Regulation;

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, I have used Appcar on my 2009 Grand Caravan.

Appcar's site mistakenly list it as "Dodge Caravan", the only Dodge minivans made after the 2007 model year are "Grand".
You are right. I did not see the Caravan... My eyes where looking for "Grand" on that page. The Auto Headlamp Enable is mentioned under TIPM Rconfigurable Parameters for Dodge Caravan as well.

I will be getting the OBD connector and the subscription. Any preference App Car or Alfa ODB? They are both $49US.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
737 Posts
You are right. I did not see the Caravan... My eyes where looking for "Grand" on that page. The Auto Headlamp Enable is mentioned under TIPM Rconfigurable Parameters for Dodge Caravan as well.

I will be getting the OBD connector and the subscription. Any preference App Car or Alfa ODB? They are both $49US.
Alford has a great and and fast response for any questions or issues you may have, appcar takes a while longer to reply. They both do pretty much the same job, maybe Georgef can suggest one over the other?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts