The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of course, the hottest day of the year (here in Oregon) and the front blower goes completely dead.

2014 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT (about 65k miles)

I've been reading for a few hours and I'm confident I've tried all of the stuff it 'should' be. First thing I did was check all of the fuses, everything looked good. So then I unplugged the blower motor and gave it 12volts, works fine no problem. So it must be the blower motor control module (resistor) right? Replaced that for $120 at my local dealership and I'm still getting nothing from the blower.

What else could this be? The rear works fine, AC cycles on fine, but no matter what I can't get any air to come out of the front.

Also, there's a squeaking sound when I first turn the fan control on, and then again when I turn it off. I looked under the dash and the squeaking appears to be coming from one of arms as it opens/closes. Not sure if that's related but I hadn't noticed it before so it could be a clue.

I also reset the engine control unit by unplugging the battery and letting it sit for 10 minutes. While I let it sit I checked every single fuse, even non-related fuses, and all were good.

So if it's not a fuse, not the control switch, not the resistor module, not the fan. What else could it be? Any ideas on what to try next to trouble shoot this? I'm beyond irritated that this happened when it's 100+ outside. And of course, no local dealerships could even make time to look at it until mid next week. I'm hoping to figure it out before that time. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Do you have the manual or automatic climate control?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have the manual or automatic climate control?
It's the manual control.

I've been doing more research and it was suggested to me that it could be the 'front control unit' or the TIPM. But I haven't discovered how to test either of those, if anyone know how to test those please let me know!

I also notice that after I unplugged the battery for a time, the rear defrost was blinking. Research shows that this is the blend doors recalibrating. Could it be possible that one of the blend doors is not calibrating properly and thus preventing the system from operating? Any idea if that's something I can test for?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's a video of a weird behavior that may be a clue. When I test the fan voltage when the fan control is OFF, I'm seeing 12v at the fan, but the fan doesn't spin up when plugged in. So the current must be too low? Also, as you can see, as I turn the fan control ON and increase the fan speed, the voltage drops incrementally. Any idea what might be causing this? By the way, I tested the fan again with a direct 12v source and again verified that it's working properly.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNMEZXmGDz-QM-rVax2aYrzLo4CYeWfRKv32bRUPImMCtntXE-OlP291BpU67_oRQ/photo/AF1QipP4dblLWZOp3UUx3tX4ihNzt7PYQc_m7ar7HTQa?key=RTg2RWZBbFY5aGlNR0owTXBod0hwd1gtTmxNWE5B

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
That honestly sounds like the blend door itself , maybe stuck closed and not letting any air through .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
**UPDATE**

I ended up taking the van into the dealer and they diagnosed it as the relay. I had already tested the relay and it tested fine, but when we got it back the air worked so whatever.

Fast forward to mid-October.

Guess what? EXACT SAME problem. Front blower doesn't work, rear works fine. It's now raining out and getting darker, it's not safe to drive around at night with no defrost. I immediately call the dealership and make an appointment to take it in the next week (soonest they could fit us in). The NIGHT before our appointment the blower randomly starts working again. We decide to keep the appointment but when we show up, the dealership can't find anything wrong. They update the HVAC software for good measure because they say it could be software related.

Fast forward again to last week.

Blower stops working AGAIN. I check all the regular stuff, fuses, relays, etc all is fine. The dealership can't figure it out, I can't figure it out, and now my wife is driving around with no defrost.

What should we do? I honestly don't know what to do. I'm disappointed that the dealership can't figure it out, you'd think the manufacturer would be able to diagnose a problem like this. My next step is to hook a battery straight up to the blower with a switch. That's ghetto as **** but I don't know what else to do and it's not safe.

What would you do?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you checked the cabin filter? It might be dirty.

If dirty, replace it.
Yes, I replaced it in the summer when we first had the problem.

I've been doing more research and I wonder if it's related to a blend door getting stuck or something. I don't know, I'm going to keep searching!

·
Super Moderator
23,297 Posts
Once it starts running does it stay running until next time or does it shut off on its own?

Next time this happens, hit the fan enclosure bottom with a rubber mallet to give it a jar.

The fan on my 2002 GC started acting up last December, 2016, I just replaced it in October, 2017. Sometimes the blower motor would work, even for a week or so, sometimes it wouldn't. I carried a rubber mallet to give it a tap when needed. It would start then and run until i turned it off although I could detect a muffled noise at times.

If like the 4th generation, a blend door actuator is mounted at the bottom of the motor enclosure. Remove that actuator (a couple screws) and you can rotate the door manually. Default position is hard right.

·
5000 Club
5,713 Posts
Odd thing is I'm not seeing a front blower motor relay on wire diagrams. That's what the dealer said they changed correct. Have you had eyes on it? Diagram is showing a rear blower relay in the TIPM but no front.

Next time it fails check for power at the blower motor connector using a test light or multimeter. If it's not there check for power at pin 6 (Dark blue wire) at the front blower power module. If it's not there it looks like the TIPM or it's connections is the problem.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My 99 Grand Caravan did that. It turned out to be my fan motor. I installed a new motor and it was still working 2 years later when I got rid of it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
** Another update ** January 2018

We've now had the van into the dealership 4 times for this exact problem. The front blower works for a while then stops working randomly. The last time we took it in the dealership claimed it was the TIPM, which they then replaced for over $1,000.

Well, guess what? The SAME thing happened less than two weeks after they replaced the TIPM. The blower stopped working again.

The dealership seemed to not be surprised by this, they said a lot of the TIPMs they install are just faulty from the factory. I wouldn't mind so much but the dealership is a long ways from my house and they always have the van for many hours so it's hard for me to find time to take it in, but it's also not safe having my wife drive around in the winter with no defrost.

So we took the van in yet again and they supposedly found a wire in the harness that's in the driver's side footwell that had a loose wire. They said they fixed it, but when I asked them to show me the wire, I wiggled it and the blower went off and on again. They ended up bypassing the harness connector and hard wiring that wire.

When they replaced the TIPM they promised us that they'd tested the TIPM and it was 100% what was at fault. So it's odd to me that the same thing happened less than two weeks after replacing the TIPM. I'm now thinking they never had any evidence that the TIPM was faulty in the first place and just guessed, which cost me over $1,000.

Anyways, this has been a frustrating experience. Hopefully no one else has to go through this.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Did you get the old tipm ? Sadly most dealers replace rather than trouble shoot. On a previous Caravan they wanted to replace the blower. A friend of mine wacked it with a 2X4 and the motor ran fine. Sometimes the brushes hang up. This was not your problem here though.

·
Registered
2 Posts

We've now had the van into the dealership 4 times for this exact problem. The front blower works for a while then stops working randomly. The last time we took it in the dealership claimed it was the TIPM, which they then replaced for over $1,000.

Well, guess what? The SAME thing happened less than two weeks after they replaced the TIPM. The blower stopped working again.

The dealership seemed to not be surprised by this, they said a lot of the TIPMs they install are just faulty from the factory. I wouldn't mind so much but the dealership is a long ways from my house and they always have the van for many hours so it's hard for me to find time to take it in, but it's also not safe having my wife drive around in the winter with no defrost.

So we took the van in yet again and they supposedly found a wire in the harness that's in the driver's side footwell that had a loose wire. They said they fixed it, but when I asked them to show me the wire, I wiggled it and the blower went off and on again. They ended up bypassing the harness connector and hard wiring that wire.

When they replaced the TIPM they promised us that they'd tested the TIPM and it was 100% what was at fault. So it's odd to me that the same thing happened less than two weeks after replacing the TIPM. I'm now thinking they never had any evidence that the TIPM was faulty in the first place and just guessed, which cost me over $1,000.

Anyways, this has been a frustrating experience. Hopefully no one else has to go through this.

·
Registered
2 Posts

got the same exactly issue im not sure why people mentioned the filter or a door not closing those 2 has nothing to do with a fan not working !!! lol anyways I have the same issue done same things you did and now I just find this site smho … I got a question do you have pictures of the wire that is loose cause im sure that's my problem also went and wiggle wires in the driver side footweel but nothing .. please help

·
Super Moderator
23,297 Posts
Bumping the blower motor with a rubber mallet will let you know if it's the motor acting up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts