The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have checked my cabin filter and cleaned out some leaves from it. It is now clean but I’m still not getting any power to the blower motor.
I am now having the EXACT same problem with my 2013 Grand Caravan! Changed the front Power Module(the one with the 2 connectors on it) since every mini I owned seemed to eventually blow out that front resistor & changing that always fixed the fan. But that did no do the trick this time, so I started checking the wires for voltage & could not get ANY readings anywhere, & there Should be from.5v to 12v readings. Mine has the Dual Front Controls & the rear unit. The rear unit works fine but the front does not supply power to the fan at any of the connections! The In-Dash Control Panel POSSIBLY? I am so shocked to find out how big of a problem this IS & how many people have been raked over the coals at the dealers & still have this problem, YET I cannot seem to find a solution for this anyplace out here on the internet. :mad:

·
Registered
38 Posts
This might help, not the right model year but it might give you some ideas.
It's a good video, but useless for a 2013 with 3 zone HVAC. In these 3 zone systems, the resistor they show is located in the REAR unit behind the passenger 1/4 panel. In the front is a big square unit they refer to as the Blower Motor Power Supply with 2 connectors on it.
Electronic component Circuit component Electronics accessory Font Auto part

My motor is functional when wired direct to 12v, but not when installed with all the connectors in place. So, right now I am trying to find a source that gives what the voltage reading should be on each wire in the system when hooked up. I am NOT positive, but I believe it should always have a 12v power supply to it, but I get no voltage reading at the blower connector when hooked up to all the connectors in the system, & I also tried swapping the power supply unit with a known, perfectly functioning one, so I am leaning towards a power loss in the Controller Head (in the dashboard with all the knobs & buttons in it). The actuators are all functioning properly & the temp knobs are working as is all the push button functions & recirculation modes. Just have No Fan, so thinking I am losing power from the power supply from the head or someplace else in the harness outside of the Control Head(which also has a Circuit Board inside of it). The Rear Blower Operates Fine!
Input device Electric blue Plastic Peripheral Video game accessory

·
Registered
2014 Town & Country
348 Posts
…My motor is functional when wired direct to 12v, but not when installed with all the connectors in place. So, right now I am trying to find a source that gives what the voltage reading should be on each wire in the system when hooked up. I am NOT positive, but I believe it should always have a 12v power supply to it,
Does anyone know if a place where someone can get wiring diagrams for these vans?

Is there a subscription service that would provide access to wiring diagrams do someone like @joepeterson56 wouldn’t have to reverse engineer and shoot blindly in the dark?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Does anyone know if a place where someone can get wiring diagrams for these vans?

Is there a subscription service that would provide access to wiring diagrams do someone like @joepeterson56 wouldn’t have to reverse engineer and shoot blindly in the dark?
Hi beretta, thanks for the show of support!
Most of these forums have proved very useful at one time or another, & one of the Dodge ones is really terrible. I noticed a lot of people post & get quite a few views, but many times, nobody or few to none seem to reply at all. I find it very dis-heartening & very frustrating! Especially for a problem like this one! Even with a lot of the videos I have found online, posted by professional mechanics working in the trade, they only seem to address the older systems, but never this problem with the 5th generation minivans HVAC systems with this same blower problem. I have also noticed that a lot of them seem to comment about the wiring diagrams(mine is from AllDATA) being screwed up & incorrect, for instance they tend to label things like Rear Blower quit a bit but they shouldn't even be in the diagrams where they locate them. I they also overload the diagrams with the ENTIRE wiring system info for the vehicle body & do not give a separate one for the system you are trying to trace like the HVAC & it gets very confusing trying to find or follow everything on it because it prints out so dammed small! Extremely frustrating.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It's a good video, but useless for a 2013 with 3 zone HVAC. In these 3 zone systems, the resistor they show is located in the REAR unit behind the passenger 1/4 panel. In the front is a big square unit they refer to as the Blower Motor Power Supply with 2 connectors on it.
View attachment 68032
My motor is functional when wired direct to 12v, but not when installed with all the connectors in place. So, right now I am trying to find a source that gives what the voltage reading should be on each wire in the system when hooked up. I am NOT positive, but I believe it should always have a 12v power supply to it, but I get no voltage reading at the blower connector when hooked up to all the connectors in the system, & I also tried swapping the power supply unit with a known, perfectly functioning one, so I am leaning towards a power loss in the Controller Head (in the dashboard with all the knobs & buttons in it). The actuators are all functioning properly & the temp knobs are working as is all the push button functions & recirculation modes. Just have No Fan, so thinking I am losing power from the power supply from the head or someplace else in the harness outside of the Control Head(which also has a Circuit Board inside of it). The Rear Blower Operates Fine!
View attachment 68033
UPDATE for anyone that may be interested.

As of today, I am completely at my wits end with this thing & frustrated with the lack of resources devoted to this problem, both online & via phone calls to supposed "Automotive Electrical Repair Shops". AllData seems to be the only place I can find a diagram showing this system, and their diagrams are annoying as all get out!. Then I try calling some auto electric repair places & nobody answers. Then I try to get to them online through their websites, via their "Request a Quote" page. I explain the problem & ask for a ballpark quote to troubleshoot my system, but do not get replies there either! WTF?

I have swapped out both the Blower Power Module & the Center Stack HVAC Control Head with KNOWN FUNCTIONING parts & still have the same problem. So I started checking for electrical connection problems, using a "Power Probe PP3" tester. All fuses are GOOD, only 1 Relay for the HVAC & that is for the REAR Blower which operates perfectly. It give voltage readings as well as tell you whether the line is + or -. Even if you get NO Voltage Reading, it lights up as + or -, and can also check for conductivity and feed power to parts to make sure they do work.

To confuse things even more for those of us that are not electrical pros, I found on one of the several diagrams that I could find, that one of the blower wires are marked as PWRFEED & the other as PWRRTN, but on one, the wire marked as POWER says HIGH SPEED & the one marked as RETURN is explained as LOWER SPEED, another says both wires have 12v power at all times when the ignition is on and the fan speed selector is in any position except off.

So far, as I understand it from what I have found, is that the motor does work & it SHOULD have a 12v+ reading at all times when the ignition is on, but I get NO power to either wire, and it shows them both as 0.0- not +. I have read too many posts online to count, where so many electrical problems with these minis point back to the TIPMs, so I am now wondering if my 12v Constant Feed to my Front Blower Dead at the Connector Plug under the TPIM or from corrosion in the pin there, or the wire is broken somewhere between the TIPM & the connector it feeds up under the dash.

That leaves me wondering if what should normally be a ground wire that is labeled as Power Return has the potentiometer switch from the control power on it, to change the motor speed via the ground instead of the feed?

At this point I am getting so f'ing pissed, that I am now leaning towards running a New 12v Feed from my battery through the firewall to the blower motor, and putting a separate Potentiometer Switch somewhere in the dash or center stack, just to have a front fan with adjustable speeds, since all of the Actuators Doors, Temp controls, Mode switches, and REAR BLOWER Controls are still functioning !

21 - 29 of 29 Posts