The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has reported that our 2014 T+C has twice died on her while waiting at a traffic light. No codes are being thrown.

It's not sputtering. It has no difficulty immediately restarting.

Sounds electrical.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
On an older car (92 gm product), when the crank sensor was dying, it would do that for a little while before throwing a code. One would like to think modern OBD-II would be better at things like this, but it might be worth keeping in mind. Could be a fuel delivery problem as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My wife has reported that our 2014 T+C has twice died on her while waiting at a traffic light. No codes are being thrown.

Sounds electrical.

Any ideas?
My wife's 2012 is having a similar problem. It happens when driving at speed as well, which is really scarry. She won't drive it right now. So far, these are the things I have found it could be:
  • Battery
  • Battery terminals
  • Alternator
  • TIPM
  • PCM
  • Key Fob / Ignition
  • Torque Converter
  • Auto Shut down relay
Does anyone have any advice for us? Is there a procedure to diagnose issues with the TIPM?

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts

Sounds electrical.

Any ideas?
Hi FattyAcid,

We are sorry to hear of this happening and understand how frustrating this may be. Are you still experiencing concerns with your vehicle? Please feel free to follow up via private message if you'd like to discuss this further. We would be happy to see how we can assist further from our end.

Alex
Chrysler Cares

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
10,559 Posts
My wife's 2012 is having a similar problem. It happens when driving at speed as well, which is really scarry. She won't drive it right now. So far, these are the things I have found it could be:
  • Battery
  • Battery terminals
  • Alternator
  • TIPM
  • PCM
  • Key Fob / Ignition
  • Torque Converter
  • Auto Shut down relay
Does anyone have any advice for us? Is there a procedure to diagnose issues with the TIPM?

Thank you!

Hello,

Scratch from your list:

Battery
Battery Terminals
Alternator
Torque Converter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello,

Scratch from your list:

Battery
Battery Terminals
Alternator
Torque Converter.
Hey Levy! Thank you for responding. I appreciate you responding because I didn't hear back from anyone else on the posts I made about this issue. I played around and tested many things on the car. The battery terminals are in perfect condition and the alternator was working fine. The key fob and ignition were not the issue. I didn't have any way of testing the TIPM. The only issue I found was the battery. With an electronic battery tester, it failed for CCA. It was a 730 CCA battery but it was coming in at 390 CCA or less which is a fail. The battery also showed as weak with a load tester. I replaced the battery because I knew it was going bad and I have not seen the issue since then. I test drove it multiple times under different conditions and didn't see the original issue. Hopefully this was the only thing wrong with the van. I am not sure why a weak battery would cause this issue, but replacing it seems to have fixed it. We have been driving it the past few days and it has been fine.

Thanks again! God Bless

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi FattyAcid,

We are sorry to hear of this happening and understand how frustrating this may be. Are you still experiencing concerns with your vehicle? Please feel free to follow up via private message if you'd like to discuss this further. We would be happy to see how we can assist further from our end.

Alex
Chrysler Cares
Chrysler Cares,

Thank you for responding. So far replacing the battery has fixed the problem. I don't know why a weak battery would cause the car to shut off (engine stalls / turns off) while driving at 60 MPH on the highway, but so far it has worked with the new battery. Is this normal for a Chrysler product to to stall when driving at speed when it has a weak battery? It almost caused an accident and it scared my wife so much that she wouldn't drive the car.

Thank you.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
10,559 Posts
If battery was good enough to start the vehicle without hesitation, then battery was not the problem.

Disconnecting the battery was probably what solved the problem, at least temporarily.

Just for the fun of it, test the new battery and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi FattyAcid,

Alex
Chrysler Cares
Chrysler Cares,

Thank you for responding. So far replacing the battery has fixed the problem. I don't know why a weak battery would cause the car to shut off (engine stalls / turns off) while driving at 60 MPH on the highway, but so far it has worked with the new battery. Is this normal for a Chrysler product to to stall when driving at speed when it has a weak battery? It almost caused an accident and it scared my wife so much that she wouldn't drive the car.

Thank you.
If battery was good enough to start the vehicle without hesitation, then battery was not the problem.

Disconnecting the battery was probably what solved the problem, at least temporarily.

Just for the fun of it, test the new battery and let us know how it goes.
Levy,

Ok, I'll do that.

So, if it's not the battery, what could it be?

Thanks.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
10,559 Posts
Chrysler Cares,

Thank you.

Levy,

Ok, I'll do that.

So, if it's not the battery, what could it be?

Thanks.

Could be an electronic glitch that was fixed by disconnecting the battery when it was replaced.

Just wait and see if it returns.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Chrysler Cares,

Thank you.
You're welcome. We are happy to hear this. Should you start to experience any further concerns, please feel free to follow up privately.

Alex
Chrysler Cares

1 - 11 of 11 Posts