The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Town & Country
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace the rear shocks. I'm getting some banging in the rear passenger AND they are super old. Are the shocks interchangeable between the driver and passenger side rears?? It seems that way when I look them up to order but it's not super clear to me.

Thanks!!

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
14,858 Posts
I need to replace the rear shocks. I'm getting some banging in the rear passenger AND they are super old. Are the shocks interchangeable between the driver and passenger side rears?? It seems that way when I look them up to order but it's not super clear to me.

Thanks!!
Yes, left, right, right left, it doesn't matter.

·
Super Moderator
27,730 Posts
2014 and super old? Still have the originals on my 2003 Jeep with over 300,000 km on it. Are you sure it's the shocks? Whatever replacements you buy will likely be of lesser quality than the OE.
Are they leaking or just bad bushings or are you getting a clunk from the brakes due to "hill assist"?.

No left to right designations from rockauto.com:

I don't understand Mopar's right hand drive designation. Makes no sense.

If you are looking for a firmer ride, Gabriel seems to be the choice.

·
Registered
2014 Town & Country
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They have 198k miles on them and clunking pretty bad over bumps.

I’ll start there and continue trouble shooting the clunk if it doesn’t fix matters.

Appreciate the confirmation...you guys are great!!

·
Registered
145 Posts
I replaced the rears on my 2014 T&C in July of 2020 (~53K on the vehicle). Couldn't take the knocking and clunking any more. I used Sensen 1214-0159, which I got on the Rock Auto closeout page for $10.90 each. Cheap junk for sure, but just wanted to try. Over one year and 12K miles later, still quiet as a mouse back there. I'm sure I'll have to replace them again, but did the trick for now.

Please ensure you hand-tighten the mounting bolts and lower the van to curb height (with full weight on the suspension) before applying final torque (55 ft. lbs.).

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
5th gen rear shocks are weak-sauce, durability-wise. They are on revision F which was released to add fluid to try and address the tendency to clunk. Do your best to make sure you get the latest revision (part number ends in F) if you get Mopar. I've had Fs for a while now and they are staying quiet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts