The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband and I have only had our town and country since June. We bought it used at 70,000 miles. It's been driving beautifully up until today.

Today on the way to work the van stalled while turning at a light. My husband said "uh oh" and when I looked the dashboard lights were flickering then they shut off. With a black screen the odometer was swinging up and down wildly. The steering wheel locked up and we cruised to the side of the road. Thank God there was no traffic! We have an appointment on Saturday at the dealership but it's monday...anyone have any idea what is wrong? We are so stressed and very broke..we can't get a new vehicle atm.

·
Registered
538 RWHP, LS motor, RX7 body
581 Posts
More details needed -

Steering wheel should not have "locked up" without turning the key but because the power steering pump is off, it can be harder to turn and brake.

Can you restart it? Does it turn over or nothing happens when you try?
That is the first detail to rule out a bad dead battery that is the most likely cause.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,297 Posts
The steering wheel locking is not common at all. Most common reason for random stalls is a failing fuel pump relay, but that wouldn't cause the wheel to lock. My thoughts are a faulty ignition switch.

Reactions: Long_Voyager94

·
Registered
400 Posts
What is the age and condition of the battery? Are the battery terminal connections clean and tight? May be useful to have the ground points inspected to be certain they are also corrosion free and tight.

May be beneficial to have the battery and charging system checked out.

·
Registered
538 RWHP, LS motor, RX7 body
581 Posts
Only stalls in a turn? Do your belts squeal? Have you ever had problems turning the steering wheel?

Again locking and hard to turn the steering wheel are 2 different things.
Electrical stall should not cause the steering to lock- yes it can be hard to turn with engine off, but not lock. Ignition key turning could shut the system down and lock the steering. Bad ignition switch??

When it stalls, do other electricals shut down? Radio, blowers, display, headlights-- do they work, or do they go dead, then restart.

1st easiest thing is to have the local auto parts place check your battery.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What is the age and condition of the battery? Are the battery terminal connections clean and tight? May be useful to have the ground points inspected to be certain they are also corrosion free and tight.

May be beneficial to have the battery and charging system checked out.
The battery was replaced in June. The dealership put it in before we drove off. Hopefully it's just the battery, I'll update when I take it in to the dealership

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Only stalls in a turn? Do your belts squeal? Have you ever had problems turning the steering wheel?

Again locking and hard to turn the steering wheel are 2 different things.
Electrical stall should not cause the steering to lock- yes it can be hard to turn with engine off, but not lock. Ignition key turning could shut the system down and lock the steering. Bad ignition switch??

When it stalls, do other electricals shut down? Radio, blowers, display, headlights-- do they work, or do they go dead, then restart.

1st easiest thing is to have the local auto parts place check your battery.
The lights still worked and the dash dimmed and eventually went off. The check engine light appeared right before the van stopped

1 - 11 of 11 Posts