The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Chrysler Town & Country
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else have a 2014 vehicle with the Pentastar 3.6L that had the issue with the left cylinder head? Took our van in for surging as you start to move, and also at the 40-50mph range. Check engine light came on as well. Dealer did a leak down test and cylinder #4 is 80psi. All others 150psi. They didn't tell the MIL code#, but assuming its one of the P030x codes associated with the misfire. 81,708mi on the van.

I did research and found service bulletin 09-002-14 REV. A for this exact issue on 2011-2013 model years that extends warranty coverage. Chrysler Customer Care said they would not cover mine since it wasn't in the affected range they determined had the issue. Well guess what????? Mine has that issue!!! Verbatim of what the service bulletin describes. Either I have one of the heads that had the original issue and they didn't do a good job determining the affected range, or they didn't do a good job correcting the issue and the new heads still have a problem. I pressed hard and the lady eventually gave me the number for the Windsor facility, stating that that is where my vehicle was built and I would have to talk to them about checking engine numbers and casting numbers on the head. Apparently this is in Canada? Lady there said there was nothing they could do because my car was sold in America, and that I would have to talk to US Chrysler Customer Care (which is who sent me to them in the first place).

Dealer wants to charge me $3400 to fix it (not including the $150 evaluation fee)! Seems ridiculously high. Service bulletin says flat rate on the job is about 10hrs. What a crock. I feel helpless. Repair bill that is almost half of what I still owe on the van, and probably not far off of half of what the van is worth at this point. If Chrysler is not even willing to look into the matter, they have lost a customer for life. Poor customer service.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Are you able to do this work yourself? If so, a head from the local wrecking yard will set you back a few hundred, and the gasket set, etc. Not hard if you are mechanically inclined

·
Registered
2019 DGCGT flex fuel, 15K miles.
397 Posts
Dealer wants to charge me $3400 to fix it (not including the $150 evaluation fee)! Seems ridiculously high. Service bulletin says flat rate on the job is about 10hrs. What a crock. I feel helpless. Repair bill that is almost half of what I still owe on the van, and probably not far off of half of what the van is worth at this point. If Chrysler is not even willing to look into the matter, they have lost a customer for life. Poor customer service.
Consider trying to contact NHTSA to file a complaint. Doesn't help you much today I realize. Call FCA again, you may find a more caring individual this time, or a smarter one. Pay for the inspection, get the report and shop the price around for a more reasonable deal. Consider using an independent shop and using used parts. I've done this several times with very good results. Good luck, $3400.00 sounds nuts to me!
About 10 years ago, we paid $1100 for a used engine install, complete, on a 2001 Chev. impala. That was done at my nearest junkyard, no problems! Traded the Impala in ($400) on a Kia Sportage 3 years ago. Good luck!

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
14,858 Posts
Anyone else have a 2014 vehicle with the Pentastar 3.6L that had the issue with the left cylinder head? Repair bill that is almost half of what I still owe on the van, and probably not far off of half of what the van is worth at this point. If Chrysler is not even willing to look into the matter, they have lost a customer for life. Poor customer service.
Welcome to the forum.

If you bought that vehicle new, you might have some luck talking to the original dealer, otherwise follow 97's advice and fix it yourself.

Hope Chrysler doesn't go bankruptcy because they've lost one customer (for life) with a 7 Y.O. vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
27,730 Posts
ChryslerCares is a member here. Try that route as well..

·
Registered
2019 DGCGT flex fuel, 15K miles.
397 Posts

·
3rd gen > all others
3,627 Posts
Did the cylinder numbers switch banks on the pentastar? On 3.3 and 3.8 the left cylinder head is the REAR one, with numbers 1,3, and 5. If that holds true for the pentastar, #4 would be the front center cylinder, right cylinder head which isn't covered. Might just be a burnt valve. Mechanic should have shot some oil into the cylinder and repeated the test to verify that it's a cylinder head or head gasket issue.

Front head would be an easier DIY repair, and while it's off you could replace the oil filter housing that is likely to crack on these engines, especially this year. U-Pull-It junkyards are getting these vans in now, and a used head could be $50. I guess this is one of those situations where automotive repair insurance would have come in handy, but with so new of a vehicle one would think it isn't necessary. Sorry for your unfortunate luck.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
3,025 Posts
Left is front for all 3. As far as I've seen, Honda is the only company to mount an engine the other way around.
Rear (right) is 1, 3, 5.

·
Super Moderator
27,730 Posts
Are you sure?

Cylinders are numbered front to rear; the right bank has pistons 1, 3, and 5, the left 2, 4, and 6, with a 1-2-3-4-5-6 firing order. The serial number is on the left side of the block, at the transmission flange.
Left cylinder head: In the early 3.6L Pentastar V6, there have been problems with the left cylinder head causing the engine to misfire (trouble codes P0300, P0302, P0304 and P0306). FCA has extended the warranty on the 3.6L Left Cylinder Head in some 2011-2013
Sitting in the Driver's seat or standing in front of the vehicle? Sitting in the Driver's seat apparently.

The cylinders are offset from each other. The cylinder nearest the belts is one, then across to two, then across to three and so on.

For the transverse mounted 3.6L Pentastar engine, #2, #4 and #6 are at the front next to the radiator, easier to get at. This bank was the common problem one.

Some problems with 2014 Jeeps using the 3.6L Pentastar engine:

Reactions: Sienile

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
3,025 Posts
Sitting in the Driver's seat or standing in front of the vehicle? Sitting in the Driver's seat apparently.
As a mechanic, standing behind your work. ;)

·
Registered
2012 Town & Country
32 Posts
In May of 2017 I had a broken valve spring on the right side of my 3.6L on my 2012 Town & Country, my #1 cylinder had zero pressure at 57,704 miles, the failure was only 704 miles past factory warranty, I called FCA customer assistance (800-992-1997) and long story short Chrysler took my estimate of $3000 to an invoice of $300 and the dealer repaired it, they also paid a local shops diagnoses fee & two towing invoices, one tow was 155 miles as we were returning from a family vacation when it failed near the eastern border of Colorado.
Anyway... while researching this failure I downloaded the "blank" letter that FCA sent to customers advising of the extended warranty on the Left head for 2011-2013 specific Chrysler vehicles, See attached.
I know yours is a 2014 but you might get some compensation from Chrysler if the problem is the same.

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
3,025 Posts
Not the same head. Problematic ones from 2012 made it to some 2013s, but any built in 2013 and beyond have the new head.

Reactions: Sunvanse

·
Registered
74 Posts
Not the same head. Problematic ones from 2012 made it to some 2013s, but any built in 2013 and beyond have the new head.
That’s the official story but it’s clearly a lie. My mother-in-law’s 2015 Wrangler just had the original textbook issue at just over 100,000 miles. She has the lifetime warranty and the service advisor had the balls to tell her they wouldn’t cover it because someone other than the dealer had maintenanced and diagnosed it. On a second trip, the service manager apologized and waived the deductible. After hearing from many others still having the original problem, it is probable that Chrysler sprinkled the already-produced bad heads back into production hoping to blow off owners outside the admitted production range. It’s legally irrelevant. SUE!

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
3,025 Posts
Coolant passages around the valves were enlarged in the revised heads. It's still possible to overheat them if you have a coolant leak that goes unnoticed for a while. (Happens a lot with a plastic coolant crossover, thermostat housing, heater Ts, and oil cooler.) But they shouldn't fail on a leak-free engine that's ran normally.

And despite running my temp gauge near the top 3 times because of cooling system failures, I'm still on original heads and gaskets. Only time I've ever had so much as a misfire was my own fault for not fully locking in an injector after a tune up.

·
Super Moderator
27,730 Posts
Heads with the #1 cylinder (bank 1) were not the problem head although there were some problems with that head at times. Check the Jeep Wrangler sites
As to using rejected heads, there are identifying numbers stamped on the heads which can identify their date/sequence of manufacture, I believe.

Reactions: Sienile

·
Registered
11 Posts
Anyone else have a 2014 vehicle with the Pentastar 3.6L that had the issue with the left cylinder head? Took our van in for surging as you start to move, and also at the 40-50mph range. Check engine light came on as well. Dealer did a leak down test and cylinder #4 is 80psi. All others 150psi. They didn't tell the MIL code#, but assuming its one of the P030x codes associated with the misfire. 81,708mi on the van.

I did research and found service bulletin 09-002-14 REV. A for this exact issue on 2011-2013 model years that extends warranty coverage. Chrysler Customer Care said they would not cover mine since it wasn't in the affected range they determined had the issue. Well guess what????? Mine has that issue!!! Verbatim of what the service bulletin describes. Either I have one of the heads that had the original issue and they didn't do a good job determining the affected range, or they didn't do a good job correcting the issue and the new heads still have a problem. I pressed hard and the lady eventually gave me the number for the Windsor facility, stating that that is where my vehicle was built and I would have to talk to them about checking engine numbers and casting numbers on the head. Apparently this is in Canada? Lady there said there was nothing they could do because my car was sold in America, and that I would have to talk to US Chrysler Customer Care (which is who sent me to them in the first place).

Hey there !
I have a 2014 Town & Country with a 3.6L, ....and, the same problem with #2 Cylinder misfire because of a bad left head. Lost compression in #2 clyinder (left head).
The Local dealer says the 2014 3.6l is not(yet) covered like the 2011-2013 left cylinder heads are. He said that ALL his mechanics are doing the left head replacement jobs. The new, redesigned head is BACKORDERED, but dealer do get them.
FCA extended the warranty to 10 years and 150,000 miles for the 2011-2013. I have an early 2014; SAME PROBLEM !
FCA recognizes the defective head and the resulting #2 cylinder compression loss, 2011-2013.
The problem obviously extends into 2014 !
I tried to reason with the Corporate Senior Rep; Regina Knox...She will not budge or reason it out logically.
FCA doesn't care about my 30 years with Chrysler minivans...only $$$ !

I've had Chrysler products for 30 years; NEVER an engine defect like this before !!

'Appreciate some help from Corporate....It's only fair and just.
So far...NOTHING !
-Kenny

Save Share

Save Share

Save Share

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey there !
I have a 2014 Town & Country with a 3.6L, ....and, the same problem with #2 Cylinder misfire because of a bad left head. Lost compression in #2 clyinder (left head).
The Local dealer says the 2014 3.6l is not(yet) covered like the 2011-2013 left cylinder heads are. He said that ALL his mechanics are doing the left head replacement jobs. The new, redesigned head is BACKORDERED, but dealer do get them.
FCA extended the warranty to 10 years and 150,000 miles for the 2011-2013. I have an early 2014; SAME PROBLEM !
FCA recognizes the defective head and the resulting #2 cylinder compression loss, 2011-2013.
I tried to reason with the Corporate Senior Rep; Regina Knox...She will not budge or reason it out logically.
FCA doesn't care about my 30 years with Chrysler minivans...only $$$ !

I've had Chrysler products for 30 years; NEVER an engine defect like this before !!

'Appreciate some help from Corporate....It's only fair and just.
So far...NOTHING !
-Kenny

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
3,025 Posts
Different head, different problem. Most common reason for misfires on these is bad rockers. 2nd most common is coolant leaks leading to an overheat that blows the head gasket. Seeing as it made it 7 years without failing, I doubt the head itself is to blame.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Different head, different problem. Most common reason for misfires on these is bad rockers. 2nd most common is coolant leaks leading to an overheat that blows the head gasket. Seeing as it made it 7 years without failing, I doubt the head itself is to blame.
Rockers are fine. No tapping.
No coolant leaks or coolant useage.
Plugs and coils replaced; same P0302 MISS code.
Must be a burnt exhaust valve seat; as was for the heads covered by the FCA Bulletin that extends the Defective head coverage to 10 years and 150,000 miles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Rockers are fine. No tapping.
No coolant leaks or coolant useage.
Plugs and coils replaced; same P0302 MISS code.
Must be a burnt exhaust valve seat; as was for the heads covered by the FCA Bulletin that extends the Defective head coverage to 10 years and 150,000 miles.
BTW; Never overheated.
Mobil ! used exclusively.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts