The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
3,034 Posts
Must be a burnt exhaust valve seat; as was for the heads covered by the FCA Bulletin that extends the Defective head coverage to 10 years and 150,000 miles.
A leakdown test at TDC on #2 would confirm that. You'd hear hissing in the front cat.

·
Registered
11 Posts
That is correct.
Exhaust valve or seat leak confirmed with leakdown test. AIR leaking out the exhaust. No air leakage to intake manifold.
I explained all this to Fiat /Chyrsler Automobile Representative. She was not open to any discussion.
DO NOT BUY FIAT PRODUCTS.
IT'S NOT THE OLD MOPAR THAT WE ARE USED TO ! IT'S FIAT.
The 3.6L engine is a new engine in 2011. UNPROVEN, obviously.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone else have a 2014 vehicle with the Pentastar 3.6L that had the issue with the left cylinder head? Took our van in for surging as you start to move, and also at the 40-50mph range. Check engine light came on as well. Dealer did a leak down test and cylinder #4 is 80psi. All others 150psi. They didn't tell the MIL code#, but assuming its one of the P030x codes associated with the misfire. 81,708mi on the van.

I did research and found service bulletin 09-002-14 REV. A for this exact issue on 2011-2013 model years that extends warranty coverage. Chrysler Customer Care said they would not cover mine since it wasn't in the affected range they determined had the issue. Well guess what????? Mine has that issue!!! Verbatim of what the service bulletin describes. Either I have one of the heads that had the original issue and they didn't do a good job determining the affected range, or they didn't do a good job correcting the issue and the new heads still have a problem. I pressed hard and the lady eventually gave me the number for the Windsor facility, stating that that is where my vehicle was built and I would have to talk to them about checking engine numbers and casting numbers on the head. Apparently this is in Canada? Lady there said there was nothing they could do because my car was sold in America, and that I would have to talk to US Chrysler Customer Care (which is who sent me to them in the first place).

Dealer wants to charge me $3400 to fix it (not including the $150 evaluation fee)! Seems ridiculously high. Service bulletin says flat rate on the job is about 10hrs. What a crock. I feel helpless. Repair bill that is almost half of what I still owe on the van, and probably not far off of half of what the van is worth at this point. If Chrysler is not even willing to look into the matter, they have lost a customer for life. Poor customer service.
I have this same issue with my 2014 T&C. It's getting repaired at the dealer now, $3200!! Dealer checked and says it's not covered under the cyl head warranty yet it has exact same issue. I'm going to try myself with Chrysler since the bill is so huge. Did you have any luck with getting the repair covered?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey there !
I have a 2014 Town & Country with a 3.6L, ....and, the same problem with #2 Cylinder misfire because of a bad left head. Lost compression in #2 clyinder (left head).
The Local dealer says the 2014 3.6l is not(yet) covered like the 2011-2013 left cylinder heads are. He said that ALL his mechanics are doing the left head replacement jobs. The new, redesigned head is BACKORDERED, but dealer do get them.
FCA extended the warranty to 10 years and 150,000 miles for the 2011-2013. I have an early 2014; SAME PROBLEM !
FCA recognizes the defective head and the resulting #2 cylinder compression loss, 2011-2013.
The problem obviously extends into 2014 !
I tried to reason with the Corporate Senior Rep; Regina Knox...She will not budge or reason it out logically.
FCA doesn't care about my 30 years with Chrysler minivans...only $$$ !

I've had Chrysler products for 30 years; NEVER an engine defect like this before !!

'Appreciate some help from Corporate....It's only fair and just.
So far...NOTHING !
-Kenny

Save Share

Save Share

Save Share
Kenny, did you ever get a response from someone at Chrysler? I have same issue on 2014 T&C and they say it's not covered. Thanks

21 - 24 of 24 Posts