The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m getting code p0402? And p0128? Now question is the car doesn’t have a EGR valve so why is the car poppin an engine light for it? It’s stressing me out and i wanna find out what can fix it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
p0128 means that your engine is running too cool. I had that code and my temperature gauge would be about 1/3 of the way across. The gauge needle should be about in the middle (straight up). My thermostat was not closing sufficiently to allow the engine to reach normal operating temperature in cool weather. A new thermostat fixed the problem. Unfortunately, thermostats for these engines are expensive.

This engine does have an EGR valve. If the engine is allowed to run at proper temperature, the p0128 may clear. Or not.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,356 Posts
P0128 is a thermostat issue.

The engine does not have an EGR valve. It does the EGR function through VVT, which is reliant on oil in good condition and the proper pressure. Other factors that can trigger that code are intake or exhaust leaks and also worn out plugs. What's the mileage? Plugs are due by 100k.

Reactions: Long_Voyager94

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sienile: Internet is unclear about whether Pentastars have EGR valves. There apparently was a change to the relevant system in 2016. The OP does not say the year of his van. I think you know more about these systems than I do.

·
Super Moderator
30,185 Posts
It's a 2015.

VVT is on the engine cover in 2013 as well.

There was a change in 2016 but I don't believe the DGC/T&C got that change ever.

2016 Pentastar V6 adds new VVT, cooled EGR

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,356 Posts
Only a few models got the new version of the engine with an actual EGR valve. It's never been in the DGC/T&C.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
P0128 is a thermostat issue.

The engine does not have an EGR valve. It does the EGR function through VVT, which is reliant on oil in good condition and the proper pressure. Other factors that can trigger that code are intake or exhaust leaks and also worn out plugs. What's the mileage? Plugs are due by 100k.

has about 112,600 something so yeah I’m guessing it needs new sparks I’m just upset why it has a check engine light code for p0402.

·
Super Moderator
30,185 Posts
Your P0402 could be a glitch. They happen, especially this time of year, in my experience. Did you get a P1684 code too?

Clear the code and see if it comes back.

Recently, mid September, had a P0123 code on my Jeep. Cleared it and it hasn't come back.

Reactions: Adriandemesa4

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your P0402 could be a glitch. They happen, especially this time of year, in my experience. Did you get a P1684 code too?

Clear the code and see if it comes back.

Recently, mid September, had a P0123 code on my Jeep. Cleared it and it hasn't come back.
yeah I was thinking about just clearing or or resetting the computer by taking off the negative from the battery to see if it would come back on After.

·
Registered
2007 T&C Touring 3.8L 230k+ mi
223 Posts
Funnily enough South Main Auto just posted a repair video today with a van with the exact same P0128 issue. Might be worth a look if the codes don’t go away:

·
Registered
538 RWHP, LS motor, RX7 body
584 Posts
Weren't there a few folks who posted wanting their coolant to run colder than stock - and changing out their thermostats to lower temps and adding aux fans? Wonder if they are throwing codes?

The heater cores (front and back) can act as auxiliary radiators, on this side of the thermostat. If you run your blowers on high past the cores, and it is cold enough air passing through, they can dissipate enough heat in the winter, that the thermostat does not open. If it is cold enough outside, you may never get the coolant hot enough in regular driving for "hot air"- thus "not enough heat". Just like cold air with AC-- it is the temp DELTA that tells if it is working.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,356 Posts
Running the 180 degree thermostat requires tuning, which consists of lowering the fan engagement temps. Without that tuning, it will throw a P0128 too.

There's actually a chart in the tune that specifies expected engine temp over time in relation to ambient air temp. It gives a considerably longer time to warm up in freezing weather.

Reactions: Long_Voyager94
1 - 16 of 16 Posts