The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all I have a 2015 Town and Country Limited with 60,000 miles on it. I noticed a slight shaking in the steering wheel at about 70mph but the back seats were shaking pretty badly and I could feel the shaking more when I was in the back of the van. I already tried having the tires rotated, balanced and had the alignment checked. Any ideas on what it could be before I take it to the dealer ( had tires rotated etc at Firestone)? Hoping whatever it could be is covered under my extended warranty. Also do you think it is safe to drive?

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
It could be a bad strut or shock. If one looks greasy, it could be leaking and not damping like it should. I had a bad strut causing a shimmy.

·
Registered
169 Posts
You said tires were balanced but was it road force balanced? I had similar vibration and cure was expensive tires to cure. I suspected tires but without warranty and only at 68 on highway shake in the steering wheel and rear head rest I put off as normal. I replaced the tires with Goodyear Assurance Maxlife now no vibration

·
Registered
469 Posts
Did this shaking come on all of a sudden? How old are the tires? What did the Firestone tech say when there was no improvement after balance/rotate?
Your problem could be as simple as a wheel weight came off or a bad as a tire separating. A good tech should be able to find the fault easily.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't went back to tell them the vibration is still present. I assume it isn't the tires being off balance since I just had them re balanced today. Tires have about 40,000 miles on them I believe they are 75,000 mile tires. Not sure when vibration started as I don't normally ride in the back of the van. Also not sure if they were road force balanced I will have to check on that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've had this happen several times on different vehicles and always traced it to failing tires, usually tire belt separation. I just lift the tire off the ground 1/2" and slowly spin it with a fixed tool held close, helps me spot the wobble or bulge in the tire, either side to side or up and down. If bad enough you'll start to see odd wear on the tread as well. Oddly enough it's usually a rear tire, which usually carries far less weight than either front tire.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a new appointment tomorrow to have everything looked over again hopefully they find the issue. I will bring up these suggestions to them.

·
Registered
469 Posts
A good tech shouldn't need any suggestions - a shaking/vibration symptom should be an easy fix . So, that would indicate:
1) The van is operating normally and you aren't used to riding in the back where things are a little noisier/busier than up front.
2) You aren't describing the fault/symptom accurately, and when repairs are completed, taking the van out for a test drive immediately to confirm the fault is repaired.
(The best way is to go for a ride after with the tech in the vehicle to assess any issues that concern you - some noises/busyness is normal in different vehicles)
3) Go to a different shop - not all shops/techs are created equal. Some are slipshod and some are pros at getting things working as designed. Ask friends about who does good work in your area.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts