The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

2016 Dodge Grand Caravan P06DD

986 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  tellegubby 
#1 ·
Hello all,

A bit ago my wife and I got an oil change at the local corner Pennzoil that has rave reviews. Went there and got the normal weight. Wife goes there for the oil changes and we haven't had an issue.

This time though, I pull out of the oil change place and instantly the check engine light comes on. Great. Well we had errands to run that day and had to drive it around.

Later I check the trouble codes with my OBD reader. It's giving P06DD. I guess that has something to do with the variable valve timing in the car because the thing will not downshift (maybe to protect the valves due to them not advancing in higher RPM?)

So I guess this is a common issue with the dual stage oil pump; the van thinks it's stuck in low pressure mode. I tried clearing the code thinking it was a fluke but it came back.

Asked my go-to mechanic they said that it's pretty easy to put in the wrong oil filter or botch the installation somehow (how?) and they said over the phone to take it back to the oil change place and ask for them to look at it and see if the oil filter was installed improperly.

Well my wife takes it there and they kind of troll her because she doesn't know the trouble code off the top of her head. They say the gas cap could be loose and that's why it's not driving fast (nice one, guys) and she brings it home and tells me about this one day after work.

The van recently started driving okay, but P06dd is still in the permanent codes section of my OBD reader.

Has anyone faced this issue of it being kind of inconsistent and a coming and going issue? It's weird to me that if the high pressure stage of the dual stage pump gave out, that it would somehow be able to randomly come back. Aren't failures with electrical components generally a complete failure? After all, electrical can generally only be on or off, working or not working.

Any help or previous experience is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#2 ·
That code for me was caused by a faulty oil pressure sender. There's a TSB for it; mine was covered under the basic warranty (it happened in 2015). Some forum members have reported this code after installing non-OEM oil filters; replacing with an MO-349 did the trick for them.

I've only used Mopar filters in my 95K miles, so can't say it's happened to me due to the filter.

Pretty common code nonetheless.

#4 ·
That code for me was caused by a faulty oil pressure sender.
Do you happen to know if when you got that taken care of under warranty, did you get just the solenoid or did you get the oil pump?

I'm currently looking at this:

The pressure sensor, oil filter, oil pump solenoid, the pump itself, or any restriction in the oil system can cause that code
Yeah it's kind of a pain to diagnose especially with it coming on and off and in general being inconsistent. If it's behaving normal for the 5 minutes a mechanic's looking at it, that's the only 5 minutes that exists to them it feels like.

#3 ·
The pressure sensor, oil filter, oil pump solenoid, the pump itself, or any restriction in the oil system can cause that code. I had it pop on for a bit and found that filter media had clogged my pickup tube.

Reactions: tellegubby
#5 ·
P06DD when repaired under warranty gets a full oil pump, filter, and oil change.

If they didn't take it on the road, they won't see it. They need to see when the oil pump switches stages and the pressure that it gives. Not many people are willing to pay for the pan to come off just to look around and see if there's an obstruction.

Reactions: tellegubby
#7 ·
Took it to the dealership and got it back a week & $1450 later.

Turns out it was the Oil pump that needed to be replaced.

I've read on here in a few posts that people have replaced the oil pump and not had the issue go away. It somewhat worries me that there can be so many potential issues with the oil on this van.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.