The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Chrysler Town and Country
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 37,000 mile Caravan. And the airbag light came on. I hope to have a local mechanic pull the codes for me. However - what kind of advice or experence can you guys share with me?

Thank you!

·
Registered
107 Posts
You can pull the codes yourself, get Appcar DiagFCA and a supported ELM327 device.

There are yellow connectors under both front seats. Check those first - common issue with these vans.

·
Vendor
1,516 Posts
Mine ended up being a harness under the driver seat. The first time it went off, it was the passenger seat throwing the code.

I disconnected the battery and waited an hour. Then pulled all the connections and cleaned them. Light stayed off for a couple of months, when the wiring in the drivers side caused the code.

I had a dealer fix it as I was tired of messing with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: acgallex

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had the local shop pull the air bag code. B1C17-12 Doe anyone have any experience with this code? This is in a 2018 Dodge Grand Caravan GT.

I did unplug the battery and clean the yellow plugs under the seat. Didn't help. The shop tried to reset the code but it pop right back on when I restarted.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Jared

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
737 Posts
I had the local shop pull the air bag code. B1C17-12 Doe anyone have any experience with this code? This is in a 2018 Dodge Grand Caravan GT.

I did unplug the battery and clean the yellow plugs under the seat. Didn't help. The shop tried to reset the code but it pop right back on when I restarted.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Jared

View attachment 59756
When you're involved in a front impact accident and the front airbags go off, the headrests in the front tilt forward, which I assume is so that your head cannot be accelerated back towards the headrest, causing injury, but reducing that distance.

Anyways, if you pop off the plastic seat back cover, you will see 2 wires leading up towards the headrest. Most likely what happened is the wire got pinched as the headrest was moved up and down, or maybe the mechanism itself has been damaged in some way and now it shows that the circuit is shorted. Not sure how one pulls out the headrests.

·
Banned
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
1,067 Posts
Check with your local Dodge dealer to see if the active headrest recall applies to yours.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,675 Posts
When you're involved in a front impact accident and the front airbags go off, the headrests in the front tilt forward, which I assume is so that your head cannot be accelerated back towards the headrest, causing injury, but reducing that distance.
Front impact will not activate headrest, rear impact might (might).

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies. The two wires coming out of the head rest shaft were pulled out of the plug. The spades are pulled out of the male end of the plug - but not damaged. The bad news is that I'm not sure which one goes to which slot in the male plug. The female side of the plug does not have matching wire colors...black and red I think. Perhaps I could check the other seat and maybe it will be the same. Or I have a 2012 that may be similar. However, I would prefer to see a wiring diagram. Anyone have access to a wiring diagram? If they get plugged in backwards - could I set off an airbag?

Thinking back to when I noticed the airbag light coming on - my wife had just adjusted the head rest.
Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts