The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought this van and i have a rattle in the rear took it back to the shop and they cant seem to find it they say its on the inside and nothing to do with the chassis or the spare tire holder i am lost has anyone had this problem

·
Registered
14 Posts
Stay tuned...
I just got a top-of-the-line FAC product back from sitting in the dealer's lot for a month - this last time. Since I purchased it in late 2017 it has had a strut replaced in a few months, the stop/start module replaced a few months later, then the gear selector replaced, then the rack & pinion assembly replaced, then an exhaust gasket replaced, then the strut tower plates replaced, and it has developed a persistent "clunk" in the undercarriage when turning, or encountering a pavement irregularity, or when braking, when accelerating, decelerating or parking. The Chrysler dealer returned it to me after this last month stating that the source of the problem could not be located but that the vehicle was driveable and I should bring it back when it became intolerable and maybe they cold find the problem.

So, I have involved Chrysler customer service (which is why I am being coy about the precise vehicle details) to remedy this blot on their record (and mine - Carfax diligently notes all the work done bit does not indicate whether it was due to negligence, accident or fire, which significantly reduces the value of the vehicle to a prospective purchaser/trade-in)

A background to explain the skepticism of mechanics who cannot explain the problem but assure you that the vehicle is safe: 56 years ago, in a land far away, I was assured by a mechanic that the noise in my observation plane would have no impact on performance. His shop was incorrect, and I spent nine months in a Japanese hospital followed by 35 years of progressive deterioration culminating in surgical replacement. Everything's fine, now, thanks to modern surgical technology and not a small amount of cobalt steel and titanium fabrication but that was a lesson I learned.

As I mentioned, stay tuned. I'll not complain or whine so I expect to make only one more post on the subject; that will give an overview detailing the resolution of the problem. One way or another.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
they want to drive it to see they seem to think its not safety related i have no clue and i dont think they do either

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Is it seats or tire tools maybe?

·
Registered
13 Posts
The dealership is full of it . You should get the district rep involved .There should be no such thing as they can't find any problem .
If they indeed can't find the ( they should be ashamed to tell you that) then they can't guarantee that the vehicle is safe.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have only seen a few that don't make a noise on irregular roads as rubber mounts seem to get harder as temp go down. Only way to get quiet is new but will come back or made worse. If it goes away then comes back it is possible it is normal. As far as rattle in rear go to Walmart and get sticky foam an put between license plate and body as plate is hitting back door on irregular roads. Good luck. Foam is way I fixed my rattle in rear but still makes noise on one road and only until rubber softens up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have only seen a few that don't make a noise on irregular roads as rubber mounts seem to get harder as temp go down. Only way to get quiet is new but will come back or made worse. If it goes away then comes back it is possible it is normal. As far as rattle in rear go to Walmart and get sticky foam an put between license plate and body as plate is hitting back door on irregular roads. Good luck. Foam is way I fixed my rattle in rear but still makes noise on one road and only until rubber softens up.
thanks for the input but i dont believe that will fix my problem it rattles even backing 4 feet out of my drive way

·
Registered
81 Posts
If I'm looking at this correctly, the 2018 still has a solid beam rear axle. There's a bar running inside of a stamped-steel cover. It is possible (and I have seen this MANY times in the past) that the bar is hitting the cover. That's where I'd start, then I would look at the shock mounts and spring perches.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Get under the rear and try to bounce the back end with your knees against the 3rd row stow & go tub/well. I found one of my upper shock mounts knocking last weekend that way. It wasn't really a rattle, and I don't know how it compares to what your van is doing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i just bought this van and i have a rattle in the rear took it back to the shop and they cant seem to find it they say its on the inside and nothing to do with the chassis or the spare tire holder i am lost has anyone had this problem
Rear shocks most likely, on my GC every 30k they start rattling. I hunted, tried several different things.It is poorly engineered shock positioning, they flex instead of compressing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
On ours we had a constant rattle on the passenger side just behind the slider. Had to replace rear condenser so removed side panel in the back. The condenser tube was not screwed down where it should have been, causing a rattle. Fixed it, no rattle since

·
Registered
624 Posts
Rear shocks most likely, on my GC every 30k they start rattling. I hunted, tried several different things.It is poorly engineered shock positioning, they flex instead of compressing.
I noticed this post , after posting about a similar problem with my new 2018 GC GT. The shocks may be the answer, but if so, that's pretty sad that Dodge/Chrysler hasn't evolved any further with suspension on the rear, than what they had some 15 years ago. Also, I seem to remember the original shocks lasted 100,000+ miles before making the noise on my 05. Maybe there is some kind of shock we could replace with that will be quiet and last longer...

·
Super Moderator
22,612 Posts
If it's in the cabin, take a look at your seat belts in the rear, as they may be twisted, not cushioned, when bumping against the sides of the van. There's a tab there and if it's on the wrong side of the belt, there will be a cabin noise.

When I purchased my 2016 GC, I had this noticeable bumping noise. Only thing that was free to bump were the seat belts and sure enough, one on the Driver's side had the buckle twisted on the belt so that the buckle was banging directly against the side of the vehicle. I threaded it through (5 minutes) so that is was turned 180 degrees, and a purposeful tab, fastened to the buckle, could cushion the bumping. Problem solved.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts