The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Just bought a used 2019 Dodge Grand Caravan GT. My previous vehicle was a 2015 Chrysler T&C that was loaded. In purchasing the GT, I looked at the instrument panel, center display, spec's and thought the features would be very similar. Boy, was I wrong! Simple things like TPMS values displayed on the center cluster display are not available, rear ParkSense "beep" missing, push-button start non-functional.
Ok, so I thought this was just a "stripped-down version" of the T&C.
Well, no, the GT has power seats, both driver and passenger, front DVD player, GPS, temperature setting (actually set what temperature you want in each zone), LCD display between the instrument clusters (for fuel economy and other items you can select from the buttons on the steering wheel), and Stow-and-go for all seats.
I am wondering if, because this was a rental, the dealership turned some features off with the possibility of turning them back on in the future.
Any thoughts or experiences???

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2,435 Posts
It probably just wasn't as highly optioned as your previous one. The features you listed are not standard.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The GC was lower on the food chain than the T&C. I believe the park sense was an option.

If your fob has the remote start button, your GC should have remote start; my '16 R/T does. I don't think the GC ever got push button start in lieu of the big plastic key fob-as-key approach.

You can probably find a 2019 GC brochure online and see what features were standard and what features were optional on your GT. I know they stopped putting on side moldings in these later years and they might have made other omissions also. (There is always fine print that allows the company the option of changing specs at their convenience.)

Reactions: Jeepman

·
Registered
378 Posts
First, there technically was no 2019 GT offered in the US. The GT was rental fleet only, and the content isn't defined anywhere. So the features depend on what the rental company decided to include.

As for the TPMS display, that's my peeve too. I have a 2019 SXT with the optional EVIC (information display) and the owners manual says it displays individual tire pressures, but it doesn't.

I have the Parksense too, but I can't remember if it beeps or not. I have a Journey with it, and it beeps.

·
Registered
378 Posts
You can probably find a 2019 GC brochure online and see what features were standard and what features were optional on your GT. I know they stopped putting on side moldings in these later years and they might have made other omissions also. (There is always fine print that allows the company the option of changing specs at their convenience.)
Here's the brochure, but there is no GT.

Attachments

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
14,307 Posts
Hello. Just bought a used 2019 Dodge Grand Caravan GT....
I am wondering if, because this was a rental, the dealership turned some features off with the possibility of turning them back on in the future.
Any thoughts or experiences???
Usually rentals have more fetures, not less.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Usually rentals have more fetures, not less.
They do sometimes disable features, but they are usually performance related. I had a Camaro convertible rental that had the manual mode shift disabled. There was something else disabled - maybe the traction control shut off.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Here's the brochure, but there is no GT.
Interesting...I just did a search on 2019 GC GT and got a number of hits, including an old sales listing for a Hertz rental van. So the GT might have been sold to rental companies. I have a 2016 R/T (same as the 2017+ GT) and saw a lot of rental vans that were GT's and R/T's in those years.

My '16 R/T does not have any of the equipment you list as omitted from yours. Not sure what you mean about push button start--my fobs will remotely start my van.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2,435 Posts
There's an option to have a push button where your fob goes. Just another point of failure.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Interesting...I just did a search on 2019 GC GT and got a number of hits, including an old sales listing for a Hertz rental van. So the GT might have been sold to rental companies.
Not might have been sold to rental companies, the GT was only sold to rental companies in 2019 in the US. The GT wasn't sold to retail buyers.

Since fleet buyers have a lot more latitude in equipment specification than retail buyers, defining what a GT includes is unreliable.

·
Super Moderator
26,902 Posts
Since Chrysler owns the rental vehicles, they likely provide a vehicle that helps promote their product plus has a better retail, or auction value. A more standardized product keeps things simpler all around. Other rental models will be used when the market demands more vehicles, say from Dealerships.

I have seen some very well equipped vehicles in the rental market that I doubt the rental company requested. To the rental company, it's "just a payment", based on some minimum standard.

What's the life in the rental market? 6 to 10 months/15,000 to 20,000 miles?

Fleet vehicles with long term lease, or not owned by Chrysler, are a little different, there's even a separate Owner Manual for them. They would be ordered to spec. most likely.

·
Super Moderator
26,902 Posts
Who said that? 🤔
They do here. Chrysler, GM and Ford still own the vehicles. When turned back in, the Dealerships have the option of buying them, otherwise they go to auction.
Toyota and Honda, for example, don't own the vehicles, the rental company does.
So I have been told by a rental company employee.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
14,307 Posts
They do here. Chrysler, GM and Ford still own the vehicles. When turned back in, the Dealerships have the option of buying them, otherwise they go to auction.
Toyota and Honda, for example, don't own the vehicles, the rental company does.
So I have been told by a rental company employee.
In USA (maybe everywhere else too), rental companies own their vehicles, they get especial pricing (you can see it on the build sheet).

When you buy an ex-rental, you buy it direct from the rental company, not from the manufacturer, every time. Title shows the name of the rental company, not the manufacturer.

·
Super Moderator
26,902 Posts
In USA (maybe everywhere else too), rental companies own their vehicles, they get especial pricing (you can see it on the build sheet).

When you buy an ex-rental, you buy it direct from the rental company, not from the manufacturer, every time. Title shows the name of the rental company, not the manufacturer.
So, rental companies there are into vehicle sales. Not so much here. Used to be when I bought my 2002 DGC.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Why would Chrysler want to maintain ownership of depreciating assets in rental fleets?

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
14,307 Posts
Maybe you are confusing rental vs leasing. 🤔

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
There's an option to have a push button where your fob goes. Just another point of failure.
I purchased the "push-button" from Amazon that is designed to work with my year/make/model and guess what, it doesn't work. I receive a message on the dash stating "Damaged Key" Very frustrating!

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
14,307 Posts
I purchased the "push-button" from Amazon that is designed to work with my year/make/model and guess what, it doesn't work. I receive a message on the dash stating "Damaged Key" Very frustrating!
Is not a plug and play option.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts