The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m posting here because I figured the Town and Country and Caravan are the same and maybe I can still find some help.

I have a 2019 Dodge Grand Caravan with a 3.6L 62TE transmission. 66k miles.
So my transmission recently went out and I purchased a new one from Dodge. I did all the work myself and and it went fairly easy to be honest. Only thing that bugged me the whole time was there wasn’t much room for my fingers to spin the torque converter once the transmission and engine were mated together but I did have a good clearance between torque converter and flex plate before I bolted together so I assumed all would be well. Fast forward everything is in, cooler flushed, I can drive the van and it shifts through its gears ( I still need to do quicklearn, just went around the block to verify shifting) and everything was great. Well today I started it up and I hear almost like a bad bearing groan which sounds like coming from trans but really hard to isolate the noise because it’s not extremely loud. But it’s noticeable. It does it in all gears and park and neutral. Did I miss something? Something I could have messed up I should check? Brand new trans with converter, was seated fully before install, didn’t mate engine and trans with bolts, did everything by the book for the most part. Idk if I just need to do the quicklearn and break it in a bit but I’m afraid to drive it and ruin a new trans. Any advice would be appreciated before I decide to drop trans again.

· Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,383 Posts
Groans from the transmission are almost always related to fluid. Too much, too little, or restricted flow (that one being unlikely since it's new). I'd check fluid with the temperature chart first.

Have a clip of the sound? Being new you can't upload it here, but you can link to one uploaded elsewhere.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
According the chart I’m within range. Just a few MM over actually. Max is 56 when it’s up to temp after driving and I was at the 59ish range. I was thinking pull the inspection cover tomorrow morning and verify torque converter bolts didn’t walk out a bit and checking starter. There was no shim in the starter when I pulled it so I would think clearance would still be okay but I want to rule everything out. I can post a link tomorrow to a YouTube video. I’ll take one in the morning.

· Registered
410 Posts
Your trans appears to be overfilled based on the chart included with the 'universal' dipstick I bought and 62te charts found on various websites. Max fluid level with trans at 200F is 53mm (at idle - trans in park/neutral). I have found that my trans rarely gets to 180F (maybe 170F on a hot day) which has a max of 48mm. I would suggest 40mm when warmed-up as that would cover trans temps from 150F (max level) to 200F (min level).

· Registered
1,129 Posts
Your trans appears to be overfilled based on the chart included with the 'universal' dipstick I bought and 62te charts found on various websites. Max fluid level with trans at 200F is 53mm (at idle - trans in park/neutral). I have found that my trans rarely gets to 180F (maybe 170F on a hot day) which has a max of 48mm. I would suggest 40mm when warmed-up as that would cover trans temps from 150F (max level) to 200F (min level).
This is what I was thinking as well. I usually do 30mm for a cold fill, then ensure it's around 40mm after driving some. 59mm is far too high.
Also makes me question if ATF+4 was used....

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ATF +4 was used. I came here to ask for help not to be criticized. I spoke with Dodge when I bought the transmission and did exactly as they told me to do. They said it ships with 5 quarts, add 4 and it will be at capacity. That’s exactly what I did. Would you like to see the bottle? And the receipt? I purchased it from Dodge. This is my first time dealing with the 62TE so I trusted what they said then checked fluid level. So now I find it’s too high, okay. I can suction some out. It’s not a big deal. But I don’t think the sound is related to fluid level.

· Registered
1,129 Posts
ATF +4 was used. I came here to ask for help not to be criticized. I spoke with Dodge when I bought the transmission and did exactly as they told me to do. They said it ships with 5 quarts, add 4 and it will be at capacity. That’s exactly what I did. Would you like to see the bottle? And the receipt? I purchased it from Dodge. This is my first time dealing with the 62TE so I trusted what they said then checked fluid level. So now I find it’s too high, okay. I can suction some out. It’s not a big deal. But I don’t think the sound is related to fluid level.
You asked for help, people are trying to help. Don't take offense or take it as criticism, realize the dealer in general are idiots who don't actually know what they're talking about.

If the fluid is too high or too low, it messes with pressures inside the transmission, which puts excess strain on the pump and TC, both of which can make noise when pressures are wrong.

Another point of question:
Did you replace or thoroughly flush the cooler and cooler lines before installing the new transmission?

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I understand what you’re saying. But I did buy the correct transmission fluid. & yes I did. I blew the lines out with compressed air first then bought a can of the “cooler kleen” and ran the can through the inlet and outlet of the lines and cooler until it was coming out clear. And for good measure used the rest of the can just to make sure the cooler and lines were free of debris. Then also ran compressed air again through it to make sure everything was good. I am trying to figure out how to post videos of the sound. I will suction out the extra fluid. But I’m starting to question if I somehow cracked the flex plate or something during installation.

· Registered
564 Posts
I never heard of a transmission making mechanical noises because the fluid was overfilled, especially so loud that it’s hard to tell where it’s coming from. No way fluid level or even wrong fluid type would cause this. And OP drove it the first day without noises.

I understand OPs frustration, but it is internet after all, so all sorts of responses are to be expected.

Having said that, does the noise seem to be related to engine RPM or is it constant? TQ or flex plate would be my first guess on this.

· Registered
1,129 Posts
I understand what you’re saying. But I did buy the correct transmission fluid. & yes I did. I blew the lines out with compressed air first then bought a can of the “cooler kleen” and ran the can through the inlet and outlet of the lines and cooler until it was coming out clear. And for good measure used the rest of the can just to make sure the cooler and lines were free of debris. Then also ran compressed air again through it to make sure everything was good. I am trying to figure out how to post videos of the sound. I will suction out the extra fluid. But I’m starting to question if I somehow cracked the flex plate or something during installation.
Flexplates are easy to crack on these if they're not torqued properly.....
I would however start with getting the fluid to the correct level and try again.
You are in fact checking fluid level with the van running and in park after cycling through the gears right?

I never heard of a transmission making mechanical noises because the fluid was overfilled, especially so loud that it’s hard to tell where it’s coming from. No way fluid level or even wrong fluid type would cause this. And OP drove it the first day without noises.
You've never heard a stressed pump then huh.............

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Flexplates are easy to crack on these if they're not torqued properly.....
I would however start with getting the fluid to the correct level and try again.
You are in fact checking fluid level with the van running and in park after cycling through the gears right?

Yes in park after cycling through gears. I didn’t remove the flex plate but I am leaning towards that it may be my culprit after giving a good listen with the inspection cover off. But still not 100%. Would have to drop the trans again to verify and I’m trying to avoid that. Though I may have no choice.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I understand OPs frustration, but it is internet after all, so all sorts of responses are to be expected.

Having said that, does the noise seem to be related to engine RPM or is it constant? TQ or flex plate would be my first guess on this.
It’s related to RPM’s. That why I was thinking Torque converter pump of flex plate as well.

· Registered
564 Posts
Nope and I don’t even know what “stressed” means. I know that a pump that cavitates will make noises, but that requires the ATF level to be too low. I don’t know how too much ATF would “stress” the pump.

if you could elaborate what you meant by a “stressed pump” that would be great.

· Registered
1,129 Posts
Nope and I don’t even know what “stressed” means. I know that a pump that cavitates will make noises, but that requires the ATF level to be too low. I don’t know how too much ATF would “stress” the pump.

if you could elaborate what you meant by a “stressed pump” that would be great.
Too much fluid can cause turbulence in the system, which acts the same way as cavitation, but does so because the fluid cannot flow properly due to excess fluid.

The causes the pump to either "starve" for fluid or to draw excess fluid. The excess fluid drawn overloads "stresses" the pump and causes it to whine much like cavitation.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts