The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for another van. I currently drive a 2015 Dodge R/T, 2014 Chrysler T&C SE, 2007 Chrysler T&C Limited and a 2009 Volkswagon Routan SE. I lost my favorite 2002 T&C to rust and I need a replacement. Being a good van owner I rented a brand new 2020 Pacifica for a week. My impressions. The Pacifica is far superior in ride quality, transmission shifting, and seating comfort. The Pacifica looks like every other minivan on the market. The Pacifica is like driving a four-door sedan. You get the sense that you are seated lower than the other vans. The driver's visibility is worse, the interior feels more cramped, center console not as useful and the ergonomics are not as well thought out. One small example is that when the side slider is opened you have to strain to place a bottle in the cupholder. There are hundreds of small ergonomic issues that are there do to the exterior styling. The greatest downfall of the design is the new Uconnect system. EVERY (+/-) action must be completed via the touchscreen. Turn on your heated seats no problems...four or five touches on the screen will do it. The screen is loaded with data that is not easily recognized and in small print. The Uconnect goes down. The vehicle is down. That will never happen. :) The general dash layout does not lend itself to intuitive usage and readability. There is so much I can write comparing my older vehicles to the 2020 but you are already bored. In general, the older vehicles remind me of an original Hot Wheel and the Pacifica reminds me of a Corgi. (The Corgi was a cheap imitation of a Hot Wheel) The question is......ride quality, transmission, shifting and seat comfort worth it? Since the van looks like every other van on the market why not purchase another product with a better warranty? Opinions??? Comments??? I almost forgot.. The 2020 Pacifica with 1000 miles was already broken. There was a sound under the dash that reminded me of a bad speedometer cable. The faster you would drive the faster the whirring sound. FCA quality control.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sounds like you're not sold on the Pacifica. I'm not either, not that I could afford one. Nice looking van though, or crossover depending on what year model it is.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I rented one for a week and really liked it. I knew it was a lemon though and I feel the " I'm a Chrylser guy " loyalty thing giving me unsound judgement. If the price is right, I'd consider it.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
The Pacifica is a much nicer van than the 5th Gen. My experience so far is that reliability isn't great... but it's not like it's always in the shop either. WE've had a few minor issues with our 2018 that have all been solved promptly. It drives very well and I got used to the Uconnect... I even bought another vehicle w/ the same system (although my Ram DOES have separate buttons for heated seats). Ours has 31K miles, and so far have had issues with blend door actuator, stow and go latch broke, and front end noise that was fixed with loctite of all things (common issue). We now seem to also be losing coolant slowly so it'll go in for that before 36K warranty expires. We love the adaptive cruise and overall driving dynamics.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I certainly agree that the console & storage are dismal in the Pac compared to the 5th gens. Bring back the dual glove boxes too! The 2021's do have some better console choices, tho to get the most usable you have to get the top series.
The quiet & the ride, getting away from that POS 62TE transmission of the gen 5's, together with the safety doo-dads like adaptive cruise control would make the decision go to Pacifica for me, but with all the new electronics I'd expect a lot more problems. Being of the "old school" generation, I have no use for UConnect and all the other electronic stuff. Look at the 2021's on You Tube-- electronic additions are getting ridiculous!
Totally disagree that the Pac's look like every other van. I think they are distinctive and beautiful.

·
Super Moderator
6,252 Posts
The Pacifica is a much nicer van than the 5th Gen. My experience so far is that reliability isn't great... but it's not like it's always in the shop either. WE've had a few minor issues with our 2018 that have all been solved promptly. It drives very well and I got used to the Uconnect... I even bought another vehicle w/ the same system (although my Ram DOES have separate buttons for heated seats). Ours has 31K miles, and so far have had issues with blend door actuator, stow and go latch broke, and front end noise that was fixed with loctite of all things (common issue). We now seem to also be losing coolant slowly so it'll go in for that before 36K warranty expires. We love the adaptive cruise and overall driving dynamics.
We've had a few blend door issues on our 5th gen...probably the same part the Pacificas use lol

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
10,559 Posts
The Pacifica is a much nicer van than the 5th Gen.
Well, that I don't know.

My wife wanted a new van (just for our trips to Mexico).

Went to the dealer to see a Pacifica. They had some to choose from.

Neither me or my wife liked them, not even for a test drive.

So, no test drive.

Guess will stay with a 5 Gen. for some time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The Pacifica was lauded by the car and driver types, "all these updates!" but we just can't see it either. We chose another gen5, and have no regrets. Maybe we're old people - empty nester late 50's, but we just don't care what others think of what we drive - we buy what we like.

·
Super Moderator
6,252 Posts
Well, that I don't know.

My wife wanted a new van (just for our trips to Mexico).

Went to the dealer to see a Pacifica. They had some to choose from.

Neither me or my wife liked them, not even for a test drive.

So, no test drive.

Guess will stay with a 5 Gen. for some time.
For my own curiosity, what about the Pacifica did you not like or liked about a 5th gen better than the Pacifica?

There are a couple things I'm not crazy about (lack of opening rear windows, metal band on upper level steering wheel, etc)

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
10,559 Posts
For my own curiosity, what about the Pacifica did you not like or liked about a 5th gen better than the Pacifica?

There are a couple things I'm not crazy about (lack of opening rear windows, metal band on upper level steering wheel, etc)

Don't like the outside shape to begin with. Then, just one storage compartment (glove compartment area).

Didn't check anything else.

·
Super Moderator
22,869 Posts
A ZF 9 speed transmission sounds ugly to me. ZF couldn't make a reliable steering box for my 2003 Jeep. Common problem is leaking at the input shaft, even the remanufactured ones leak. I'm on my third, which also leaks. Just keep adding fluid rather than replace any more. Sure wish they had kept with the Saginaw box.

Gotta love the 6 speed Chrysler transmission and the shift down / gear selection feature.

·
Registered
311 Posts
May not be a ZF on a 2020. MoPar did some redesigning, including getting rid of the dog clutches; new transmission is the 948TE I believe. Check Allpar for the scoop.

·
Super Moderator
22,869 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
We went from a 2010 town and country limited to a 2017 Pacifica touring L a few years back. It was a big step down in trim level, but that’s about it. Everything on the Pacifica from top to bottom is better than the 2010.

And unlike the T&C, the Pacific is not in the shop constantly. Actually, the Pacifica is never in the shop. At 67,000 miles it still has 50%+ of it’s brakes left, the check engine light came on once (warranty covered), I turned the rotors once and oil changes.

That’s it.

·
Super Moderator
22,869 Posts
Old news on the 9 speed transmission:

Millionth 948TE built; becomes TorqueFlite

ZF’s 9-Speed 9HP Transmission Puts Dog Clutches On The Leash

Seven Shifty Transmissions to Avoid

AN: ZF/Mopar 9-speed fixed, V8s to continue

·
Super Moderator
6,252 Posts
Don't like the outside shape to begin with. Then, just one storage compartment (glove compartment area).

Fair enough.

The loss of the upper glove box is a shame for sure.

I didn't like the 2014 Cherokee when it came out, but I happened to swing by my dealer right when my sales guy saw me, and threw me the keys to a loaded one, and once inside I discovered how comfy it was. I did end up waiting for the refresh to buy my Cherokee, but the interior of the Cherokee is what "hooked" me. I think the Pacifica is an attractive van, even before the refresh, but everyone has their own tastes.

A ZF 9 speed transmission sounds ugly to me. ZF couldn't make a reliable steering box for my 2003 Jeep. Common problem is leaking at the input shaft, even the remanufactured ones leak. I'm on my third, which also leaks. Just keep adding fluid rather than replace any more. Sure wish they had kept with the Saginaw box.

Gotta love the 6 speed Chrysler transmission and the shift down / gear selection feature.
The ZF 8-speeds are known as good transmissions, it seems to be the 9-speeds that they struggle with. But they likely have them figured out now.

I'm not a fan of the 6-speed in ours. The programming is awful, but it also suffers from the same issue of needing to floor it to get it to downshift, but then it drops too many gears and it ends up in an awkward situation when you take your foot off it as it's all of a sudden in 3rd at redline.

...nevermind the awful Eco mode.

We went from a 2010 town and country limited to a 2017 Pacifica touring L a few years back. It was a big step down in trim level, but that’s about it. Everything on the Pacifica from top to bottom is better than the 2010.

And unlike the T&C, the Pacific is not in the shop constantly. Actually, the Pacifica is never in the shop. At 67,000 miles it still has 50%+ of it’s brakes left, the check engine light came on once (warranty covered), I turned the rotors once and oil changes.

That’s it.
Nice, glad to hear!

·
Registered
27 Posts

"She Who Must Be Obeyed" could not get past the Black Carpeting, so extended the warranty to the max until FAC comes to their senses. By then, will be ready to give up my 2018 (a silly little car) Overland to get back in sync with two vehicles.

Black only on top models while Camel/Dove is available in the bargain basement is a truly ludicrous marketing decision.

·
Registered
27 Posts
"She Who Must Be Obeyed" could not get past the Black Carpeting, so extended the warranty to the max until FAC comes to their senses. By then, will be ready to give up my 2018 (a silly little car) Overland to get back in sync with two vehicles.

Black only on top models while Camel/Dove is available in the bargain basement is a truly ludicrous marketing decision.
Needed to do a Syntax Check:

She Who Must Be Obeyed" could not get past the Black Carpeting, so extended the warranty to the max until FAC comes to their senses. By then, will be ready to give up my 2018 Overland (a silly little car) to get back in sync with two vehicles.

"Black only" on top models while Camel/Dove is available in the bargain basement is a truly ludicrous marketing decision.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
10,559 Posts

I would not buy other than black carpet, it looks very nice. My 2012 C.T. & C and my 2017 D.G.C. have black carpet, it looks very nice.

Unless they go back to Burgundy I stay with black.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts