The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My van used to average about 22-23 mpg on the highway in the past using standard Castrol 10w40. Last fall I started running Castrol 10w40 Syntec Blend, and on a recent trip from NYC to Syracuse I ended up getting 25 mpg. Now most recently (400 miles ago) I'm running with Castrol 10w40 Syntec full synthetic, and after a round trip to the 1000 Islands and back (about 190 miles total) I was astonished when I hit 27 mpg!

I plan to make another highway run or two just to make sure it's not a fluke, but has anybody else been able to pull mileage like this with a 3.0 and 3 speed automatic?

Aaron

·
1000 Post Club Member
1,985 Posts
While the old vans werent all that aerodynamic,they at least werent as heavy as the newer ones.Mileage like that shows that the OD 4 speed wasnt always necessary to get optimal mileage.Plus you dont have to worry about all those little electronic gremlins just waiting to go wrong.I would say that van's a keeper.Run it until the wheels fall off.

·
Premium Member
4,203 Posts
My former Voyager (94) pulled a best of 25 mpg while drafting a moving truck.
How did you calculate your mileage? What speeds were you driving?

·
Geekier than thou
1,968 Posts
Our 1996 Voyager SE with 3.0L/3-speed ATX would get 27 MPG on the highway, if I kept the speed below 70 MPH. I saw 27 MPG several times so it wasn't a fluke.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I'm getting an average of 21.7-21.9 mixed driving in my 94 3.3 LWB. Not that bad. All highway I saw 24 mpg driving around 70mph. Not that bad for a 15 year old brick on wheels

·
youtube.com/sideburns2009
2,926 Posts
I get around 22-23 on the highway(65-70MPH normally), around 19-19.5 city. I have the 3.8 so I guess thats pretty good.

·
Registered
123 Posts
My 97 base model 3.0L 3 speed, on the highway, driving at the speed limit (around here 110KPH) with just two of us, don't have cruise, and have gotten 34 mpg several times. Canadian gallons. Odometer reads 175,000 K or 108,000 miles. Not too shabby.:bcyclop:

·
Registered
54 Posts
These vans get excellent mileage on the highway if you take it easy. The mileage difference between 60mph and 70 mph is alot. Cold weather makes mileage drop too.

Our highway van '94 grand 3.3 will commonly get 25mpg and more if I 'baby it', so I could see a 3.0 getting 27 if driven smoothly. 34 mpg.....no.

Dean.

·
Latent car nut
8,889 Posts
Why are you running 10W-40 oil?

You would get even better mileage with 10W-30. Just my $0.02

FredB
I'm thinking that's a debatable opinion. FWIW, I was running 0W-40 in our 1998 when I drove it over 500 miles on a single tank and got 28.2 mpg for the trip.

·
Registered
565 Posts
These vans get excellent mileage on the highway if you take it easy. The mileage difference between 60mph and 70 mph is alot. Cold weather makes mileage drop too.

Dean.
Yea I should say that milage I said above has been winter driving. I've only had the van since November. It was pretty cold over the winter here.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I don't count, since I have the gutless 4 cylinder model w/ the 3 speed... but I average 27 mpg...

I really think that if I was making slightly more power w/ the 2.4, I'd be getting better gas mileage (if the power was in the right places.) b/c I'd spend more time at lower RPMS making torque than trying to rely on high RPM power to pull the 3400 LB beast up the hills.

Add into that recipe an estimated Cd of .31, and frontal area exceeding 30 ft^2... you've got a brick, and the best mechanical way to get better mileage out of it, would be to either decrease frontal area, or decrease drag.

PS - I run 0w30.. I'll be moving to 0w20 when this oil finally breaks down enough for me to change it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
2002CaravanSE, you're right, she's a keeper! I don't plan on her going until she has at least 200k on her, and it'll have to loose at least 2 of the wheels before I'll park her for good!:laughing:

gsmagnum, the total trip was 191.6 miles. I filled up about 3 miles from getting on the highway, plus about 25 miles of rural two lane by my parent's place, and another 5 miles or so of in town stuff at the return home. The other 158 miles or so was interstate going 65 to 70 mph. BTW, when moving from FL to NY, my wife got 25 mpg drafting my moving truck at 75-80.

fjb37, the main reason for the 10w40 was the fact that this engine had a couple of minor leaks, and this is when I ran conventional oil. I switched to Syntec blend 10w40 and the oil consumpton was cut in half. A buddy of mine ran it in all his FWD Mopar vehicles, claiming it expanded the seals slightly to diminish oil loss (wasn't totally sold, but it was worth a try). After that I used a quart of oil in 2000 miles versus 1000-1200. Plus my mileage seemed to improve slightly. Now for mileage reasons, plus it did so well with a blended oil, I've gone full synthetic and it seems to do really well with it. Plus the fact that I can go for longer between changes is an added plus!:biggrin:
BTW, this is the second motor in this van. The one I bought it with I ran 20w50 and it used a quart every 500 or so miles! The motor in it currently is out of a '94 Acclaim, and had close to the same miles as the old one but was maintained much better (75 year old female driver from new), so I changed out the timing belt, water pump, valve cover gaskets, etc. and I've had very little problems with it, sans the cam plugs and a small oil pan drip.

dno36, I've not done a real cold weather highway run. But when the mercury drops, my around town 15-17 drops to 13-14.

Christ, I always wondered about the 2.4 models. I looked at one ages ago, but after talking with a friend who bought one, he told me if it was any more than 3 passengers it became a slug. And I've heard about these motors having head gasket issues on some of the earlier models. At any rate, it wasn't enough of a mileage difference to make me give up the "da bus" with the V6.

Has anyone gotten this from a 3.0 with OD as long as we're on the subject? I'd be curious to see if it really makes a big difference when putting around at highway speeds as well. My van does have a Dynomax muffler as well, but I'm not too sure if that makes a giant difference or not. Some other folks I've spoken with have said 3.0's don't always respond to exhaust changes, some losing mpg's. But mine seems to like it, so it's not going anywhere anytime soon!:thumb:

Cheers,
Aaron

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
He's right, when I get it loaded down with stuff, it's often into 2nd gear I go to maintain 60MPH on long hills. Also, with my van, the TC lockup doesn't like to disengage.. not that it matters, b/c the thing has more torque output with the TC locked... (a sure sign of a worn torque convertor.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Plymouth Voyager

My van used to average about 22-23 mpg on the highway in the past using standard Castrol 10w40. Last fall I started running Castrol 10w40 Syntec Blend, and on a recent trip from NYC to Syracuse I ended up getting 25 mpg. Now most recently (400 miles ago) I'm running with Castrol 10w40 Syntec full synthetic, and after a round trip to the 1000 Islands and back (about 190 miles total) I was astonished when I hit 27 mpg!

I plan to make another highway run or two just to make sure it's not a fluke, but has anybody else been able to pull mileage like this with a 3.0 and 3 speed automatic?

Aaron
I have a 91 voyager 3.0 3 speed. I paid $1.00 for it 12 years ago. It has almost 300,000. I love this car for several reasons.I would like to stay in touch with you to trade stories about these vans. At the very least, keep posting here. [email protected]

·
Latent car nut
8,889 Posts
The best mileage I've had is 24.5 mpg. Spring-Autumn, I usually get 19-22 mpg. I use 89 Octane, 10% ethanol gasoline.
Your mileage will most likely improve a bit if you'd use the fuel specified for your engine (i.e. 87 AKI).

·
Registered
991 Posts
Your mileage will most likely improve a bit if you'd use the fuel specified for your engine (i.e. 87 AKI).
Shipo
For some of us here in the midwest where corn is king 87 is not available because of the ethanol blends. The pumps are 89 and up not 87 and up. In IL, IA, WI, and most of MN there are no choices we get ethanol blend of 10 to 20% whether we want it or not. And YES for those of us stuck with this we can never see the true mileage our engines may be capable of giving (though some of the numbers seem sort of like fairy tales I have seen here) :biggrin:

·
Latent car nut
8,889 Posts
Shipo
For some of us here in the midwest where corn is king 87 is not available because of the ethanol blends. The pumps are 89 and up not 87 and up. In IL, IA, WI, and most of MN there are no choices we get ethanol blend of 10 to 20% whether we want it or not. And YES for those of us stuck with this we can never see the true mileage our engines may be capable of giving (though some of the numbers seem sort of like fairy tales I have seen here) :biggrin:
Hmmm, I didn't know that, I guess it's been a long time since I've lived in the midwest (I moved east the day that Billy Joe-Bob Clinton got elected). That said, my 500+ mile run on one tank was done on what I believe to have been 100% (E0?) gasoline that I purchased about 20 miles southwest of Port Huron, Michigan in the summer of 2007. Maybe rural Michigan hadn't been infected by ethanol by then.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts