The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
30,166 Posts
My 2016 DGC had a rocker arm issue. I don't know about newer models having problems. I guess the real question is "has Chrysler come up with an upgrade that fixes the problem"?

There are Class Action Law Suits in the works. This one covers 2014 to 2021.

·
Registered
2014 Chrysler Town & Country 30th Anniversary Edition. 3.6L, 211kW
412 Posts
My 2016 DGC had a rocker arm issue. I don't know about newer models having problems. I guess the real question is "has Chrysler come up with an upgrade that fixes the problem"?

I'm pretty sure they haven't.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I just had all 12 replaced on the left side this week. This is the third or fourth time for rockers and camshafts. The warranty company told the shop to replace all on the left side. The van has 156,000 miles.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I notice me that the 2011 through 2013 or 14, pentastars where 5w30 was recommended don’t seem to have so many reports of rocker arm failures.
Perhaps the move to 5w20 contributes to this issue?

Anyways, I use 5w30 exclusively on my 15 GC and so far so good, but I’m only at around 70k miles.

·
Super Moderator
30,166 Posts
I will not use 5W-20 in any engine, especially when the Owner's Manual says 5W-30 is fine. I bet the Pentastar's Engineers would whisper that in your ear as well.

Reactions: GCTruckster

·
Super Moderator
30,166 Posts
I notice me that the 2011 through 2013 or 14, pentastars where 5w30 was recommended don’t seem to have so many reports of rocker arm failures.
Perhaps the move to 5w20 contributes to this issue?

Anyways, I use 5w30 exclusively on my 15 GC and so far so good, but I’m only at around 70k miles.
The early Pentastar had major valve train issues, the entire front head being replaced early on.
The latest Class Action Law Suits are focused on 2014 to 2021 and the tick.

According to the plaintiff who sued, the temperatures are so high that it prevents the oil from adequately lubricating the component parts.

FCA customers complain about ticking noise and cylinder head failures, problems that allegedly caused Chrysler to issue an extended warranty in 2014 for the left cylinder heads on certain 2011-2013 models.

According to the lawsuit, future models had hardened value guides and valve seats to better handle the heat, but the plaintiff says this did nothing for the Pentastar 3.6 engine problems.

And also in 2014, Chrysler dealers were told to replace the Pentastar 3.6L engine rocker arms with newly designed arms if customers complained about engine misfires or ticking noises. However, the plaintiff claims the new rocker arms didn't fix the engine problems.
The American version:

·
Super Moderator
30,166 Posts
I just had all 12 replaced on the left side this week. This is the third or fourth time for rockers and camshafts. The warranty company told the shop to replace all on the left side. The van has 156,000 miles.
WOW! That's all I can say. :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts