The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 grand caravan with the 3.6 and 240k miles. I have been trying to chase down a cylinder 5 misfire. It started out intermittently missing at higher rpms, but now it misses every time it gets over 2000 rpm. P0305 is the only code, I have replaced spark plugs, cylinder 5 injector and coil pack. Did a compression test on cylinders 1, 3 & 5 today, 1&3 were both 150psi, but number 5 was 220 psi. I tested each cylinder several times, and got the same numbers each time. Any ideas? I'm thinking something valve train related, causing the #5 exhaust valve to not open. it also has a tick in the top end. I have not had a chance to pull the valve cover off yet. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
3,517 Posts
Rocker failure is common on the early Pentastars. You've done well to get that many miles on it before having it happen.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2016 and have had the P0302 code come up at about 120,000 miles. I could not detect any noticeable miss. I changed all of the plugs and reset the code. Code came back after a couple of days. I replaced all of the coil packs and reset the code. Code came back after a couple of days. Cleaned the injectors and changed out the #2 injector. Code still came back. Changed the PCV valve, no luck their either. In the mean time, I received a code for the thermostat relay/thermostat. Researched the meaning and it stated the temp didn't reach operating temp in a specified time. I knew this was wrong as when the code came up, I had been driving for about 10 minute and the water temp was at the operating temp. Reset this code and it has not returned. Unlike all other posts, I can feel a slight miss when idling in gear. There is no detectable miss while driving. Power is still good and gas mileage is still 20 to 25 mpg. Code resets itself occasionally and then come back in a day or two. PCM going out?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Gotta be watching this thread..

My friend's 2017 JGC (3.6l, 8 speed) has a higher speed P0305 HUGE miss. It causes the vehicle to buck more than any miss I've ever experienced.
It's too bad swapping a coil (#5) is so uneasy to do.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
3,517 Posts
10 bolts and a hose clamp to get the upper intake off is considered "uneasy"? I need to charge more then. :p

·
Registered
192 Posts
10 bolts and a hose clamp?.....I'm corrected...not my vehicle.

After I posted I called and asked him how the JGC was running. He said it was fine and reasserted the theory that it was water in the fuel.
So why only a P0305 code?, I thought.

Since it happened at ~80 mph, I asked if he wound her up that fast lately.
He claimed he didn't need to and it was alright. Hmmmmm. Sounds like an embarrassed used car buyer to me.

Just so I know, is there a gasket kit needed to gain access to coil #5? I ask because I don't think the problem is gone and I likely will be asked for assistance.
Thanks

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
3,517 Posts
Best to replace the upper intake gasket since it has to be pulled off.

7 bolts on the center of the manifold, 2 for the front brackets (side on Jeep), 1 stud for the side bracket (front on Jeep)... 10 bolts and the hose clamp the attaches the intake hose.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts