The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2014 3.L Pentastar VVT T&C Touring

Reading about rocker arm failure common for this engine. Need I need to worry? I am starting to regret my purchase on this vehicle if this is going to be a problem that will arise soon. 154,000 miles, I am concerned. I have no idea if this year for this car is even in the batch for this failure. Do ALL of these engines eventually get this failure? Has anyone else with this year and model had rocker arm failure?

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Our 14 has similar mileage, a bit higher. Haven't seen, heard or felt any symptoms of rocker issues and I'm not worried about it.

·
Super Moderator
30,185 Posts
Rocker needle bearing for cylinder #2 went on mine (150,000 km).

The ticking noise was very audible with the hood up or from outside the vehicle. Wasn't heard inside the vehicle. $1500.00 later (#2 rocker, lifter,cam), it's quiet.

It's a bad enough problem to cause a "Class Action Lawsuit". Several of them actually, different States and in Canada. Should be an extended warranty.

I guess not all 10 million plus (July 2020) of the Pentastars are affected.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rocker needle bearing for cylinder #2 went on mine (150,000 km).

The ticking noise was very audible with the hood up or from outside the vehicle. Wasn't heard inside the vehicle. $1500.00 later (#2 rocker, lifter,cam), it's quiet.

It's a bad enough problem to cause a "Class Action Lawsuit". Several of them actually, different States and in Canada. Should be an extended warranty.

I guess not all 10 million plus (July 2020) of the Pentastars are affected.

I am seriously considering giving this van back to the dealer after just having it for 2 weeks. This issue with the rocker arm failure on the 3.6L scares me. My main question was does this put doom on ALL 3.6L 2014 and up engines, or is it like a small percentage for chance to fail. If it's 100% inevitable, I don't want this car anymore.

·
Super Moderator
30,185 Posts
Yes, I would probably return it, since you aren't attached to it yet. Then again, what's the choice? There are a lot of problems out there across Manufacturers. Lincolns with no brakes is a most recent one.

Chrysler needs to address the ticking issue and plastic parts issues to restore my confidence in their product.

Just had the passenger's side sliding door lock actuator replaced under extended warranty (Class Action again). The Dealership tried to upsell me on that one, saying the problem was the latch. On my way home, they called me and said that with an updated lock actuator, the latch problem could be solved. That was BS but anyway I took the vehicle back and all was fixed at no cost to me, other than the gas.That warranty doesn't cover the 2014 either (2015 to 2017). It's a $700.00 / 4 hour job at the Dealership. Pretty much guaranteed that one will fail.

Chrysler and their Dealership gets a 6/10 in my ratings for the Van. The Jeep, probably a 9/10. All I can say is "Buyer Beware".

Honda Odyssey:

Toyota Sienna:

Take a look at carcomplaints.com for newer vehicles.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I would probably return it, since you aren't attached to it yet. Then again, what's the choice? There are a lot of problems out there across Manufacturers. Lincolns with no brakes is a most recent one.

Chrysler needs to address the ticking issue and plastic parts issues to restore my confidence in their product.

Just had the passenger's side sliding door lock actuator replaced under extended warranty (Class Action again). The Dealership tried to upsell me on that one, saying the problem was the latch. On my way home, they called me and said that with an updated lock actuator, the latch problem could be solved. That was BS but anyway I took the vehicle back and all was fixed at no cost to me, other than the gas.That warranty doesn't cover the 2014 either (2015 to 2017). It's a $700.00 / 4 hour job at the Dealership. Pretty much guaranteed that one will fail.

Chrysler and their Dealership gets a 4/10 in my ratings. All I can say is "Buyer Beware".

Honda Odyssey:

Toyota Sienna:

Take a look at carcomplaints.com for newer vehicles.
Stupid BS repairs are pretty easy to deal with… but a major problem with an engine rocker arm failing and causing catastrophic damage is something I am concerned about. I can do repairs but I have no engine knowledge. Not something I can really repair myself.

I get it… moving parts wear out. But engines should last 250-350,000 miles as long as it’s kept
Up on oil changes. My T&C certainly has the ticking. It only begins when the engine is warm, however. It sounds so much like fuel injectors ticks, but, who’s to say

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,356 Posts
Most of the rocker issues are in the years before that, but there are scattered reports up to about 2016 when the final rocker revision was released.

Injectors on these are noisy. Does it get louder if you rev it? Injectors won't get louder, just increase frequency.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Most of the rocker issues are in the years before that, but there are scattered reports up to about 2016 when the final rocker revision was released.

Injectors on these are noisy. Does it get louder if you rev it? Injectors won't get louder, just increase frequency.
I will check if the ticking gets louder with increasing of RPM’s. When I first start the engine, it’s quiet. As the engine gets to temperature, the ticking begins, but like I said it does sound a lot like injectors. If it gets LOUDER with higher RPM’s then it’s most likely the rockers?

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,356 Posts
Yeah. Have someone rev it in park after it warms up while you stand in front with the hood up. It will get louder if it's rockers. If they're bad enough it will also change sound to more of a slapping (a tick with some dragging on the back end). It can get pretty bad before a misfire code comes up.

Mine ('13) had ate into the cam by the time I did it, and no code or noticeable loss of performance. It had progressed to the slapping sound. I was able to change just the rockers and lifters, and polished the cam instead of replacing it. But I'm an experienced mechanic, so that only cost me about $120 or so. Been a few years. Eventually replaced the cam, although it was still running just fine on the damaged one for several years.

·
Super Moderator
30,185 Posts

No T&C after 2016, so yes, the problem stopped there for them.
The Class Actions go from 2014 to 2020. Chrysler didn't fix the problem apparently. Likely the same problems after 2020 as well, but the action was filed back about then.

The rocker ticking can be heard loudly at idle, from outside the vehicle, not inside.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,356 Posts
I personally haven't seen the AH revision rockers fail. Possible those that have them from the factory just didn't change their oil properly. It'd be nice to see something with the number of claims per year model. Bet they'd fall off sharply after the AH revision came out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I personally haven't seen the AH revision rockers fail. Possible those that have them from the factory just didn't change their oil properly. It'd be nice to see something with the number of claims per year model. Bet they'd fall off sharply after the AH revision came out.
Ive owned a Chrysler long ago and it was a constant project - things breaking all the time, but it was all easy stuff.

I decided to give them a go - again, and I’m starting to think I made a bad decision. Will have an update on the rocker noise this evening. If it gets louder with higher RPMs

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,356 Posts
As a mechanic that works on all makes, if you're going American it's a pretty tight race between Dodge and Ford on who makes the most reliable. Since Ford axed most of their models, that leaves Dodge with a big chunk of market to eat up. Though one thing Dodge is missing is an economy car, but that only gives you the option of GM for those... which will end up costing you more overall due to repairs than a larger vehicle of another brand. If you're fine with foreign makes, hard to beat a Toyota. Honda makes a good attempt though.

One good thing about the 3.6 is it's wide usage. That makes parts cheaper and helps root out problems. That's how we know these engines are pretty solid aside from a few issues mostly in the earlier models. The whole rocker issue is not bad when caught early enough to spare the cam, and that's the most expensive common issue on these. Second being the oil cooler, but there's a should-be-permanent fix out for that in the form of an all metal unit.

Reactions: Mtfix20

·
Super Moderator
30,185 Posts
If you're fine with foreign makes, hard to beat a Toyota. Honda makes a good attempt though.

One good thing about the 3.6 is it's wide usage. That makes parts cheaper and helps root out problems. That's how we know these engines are pretty solid aside from a few issues mostly in the earlier models. The whole rocker issue is not bad when caught early enough to spare the cam, and that's the most expensive common issue on these. Second being the oil cooler, but there's a should-be-permanent fix out for that in the form of an all metal unit.
When they need Class Actions to get a poor quality product fixed, that says something about original quality and Customer committment. Honda and Toyota are no exceptions.

The settlement resolves claims Honda sold certain Honda Odyssey and Pilot vehicles containing malfunctioning infotainment systems.
$40 million settlement between Toyota and class action plaintiffs who assert that safety issues with the rear power sliding doors of Toyota’s Sienna minivans place passengers at risk of injury or worse.
The lawsuit also alleges Chrysler has concealed the Pentastar 3.6L engine problems so customers will continue to pay for repairs and replacements.
The class action further asserts Chrysler denies warranty coverage for the Pentastar engines even when the vehicles are still under their warranties.
"The whole rocker issue is not bad when caught early enough to spare the cam" is okay for you, as a Mechanic, to say. Customers, going to auto repair shops and the Dealerships, are at their mercy, in some cases the whole engine is replaced at the Owner's expense. Unselling and rip off opportunities galore while Chrysler says nothing to the Customer about a ticking engine as a technical Service bulletin even. How more dismissive can they get? Quality control by the Customer, at the Customer's expense. Not a good business model, or is it?

For my van the Dealership replaced the rockers and lifters for cylinder #2. They also replaced the cam. Did they need to replace the cam? I don't know. Maybe to do a thorough job for their warranty protection. Some get all rockers and lifters replaced, plus the cams, even though only one cylinder needle bearing has failed. Why so? All those benefits of using 5W-20 oil to save some gas just went down the tubes.

The main reason I went to the Dealership to get the work done was in case the Class Actions were to succeed, I would have a repair made in accordance with Chrysler's procedure, not all rockers replaced, etc.

When Chryslers needs Dorman to fix their plastic problems, that says something too.

I like my Van. I just wish it had a 3.3L and 41TE transmission in it for durability. :) The extra power of the 3.6L is nice, but more expensive in various ways. The 62TE transmission has worked well so far. It's likable.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts