The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 chrysler town and country with a 3.8, it has 252000 miles on it, the transmission decided to play out, I'm trying to figure if a transmission with a 100000 mile warranty will outlast the engine or should just get a cheap used transmission and sent the whole thing down the road?

·
Registered
2007 T&C Touring 3.8L 230k+ mi
222 Posts
More info would be helpful, how many previous owners, how many miles you’ve put on it, recent issues/repairs, etc to give us an idea. Undercarriage rust?

I’ve put 12k miles on mine (currently 232k) since I got it three years ago and every repair I’ve needed to do was non-engine related, only belt accessories and two oil leaks

I will say however that as my first car, the 3.8L is a blessing to learn + work on if you’re mechanically inclined in the event you do have to do some engine work. Even head gasket replacements look easy to do on these things

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More info would be helpful, how many previous owners, how many miles you’ve put on it, recent issues/repairs, etc to give us an idea. Undercarriage rust?

I’ve put 12k miles on mine (currently 232k) since I got it three years ago and every repair I’ve needed to do was non-engine related, only belt accessories and two oil leaks

I will say however that as my first car, the 3.8L is a blessing to learn + work on if you’re mechanically inclined in the event you do have to do some engine work. Even head gasket replacements look easy to do on these things
I have owned it for about 3 years, I'm second owner, bought it from a dealership close to me , they are out of business now, it had 160000 on it when I purchased it, I have replaced the alternator, the water pump, belt and tensioner and idler pulley, tuned it up just recently, new coil pack also, just recently replaced the injectors because one went bad. Not bad on leaking oil, change oil every 5000 miles ( I drive almost 100 miles a day to work so I change oil like every 3 months) . I have did alot of work myself.

·
3rd Gen Plebeian
1997 Plymouth Grand Voyager Rallye
1,434 Posts
I have a 2008 chrysler town and country with a 3.8, it has 252000 miles on it, the transmission decided to play out, I'm trying to figure if a transmission with a 100000 mile warranty will outlast the engine or should just get a cheap used transmission and sent the whole thing down the road?
My 3.3L got a rebuild at 300,000 miles. I just threw it away at 436,500 miles because the timing cover was rusting where coolant goes inside.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
3.3s and 3.8s are really hit or miss.
Given you already have 252k miles without issue, you got a good one and it should easily run another 100k without missing a beat.

·
Registered
2012 Town & Country Touring. 171k and counting. Slowly upgrading to a Limited trim.
140 Posts
3.3s and 3.8s are really hit or miss.
Given you already have 252k miles without issue, you got a good one and it should easily run another 100k without missing a beat.
This begs the question, when do the 'bad' ones usualy give out?
I've a 3.6, but I'm curious.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts