The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

3.8L Dodge Caravam Stalling at Low RPM

28K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  douggro 
#1 ·
. My 2003 Grand Caravan Sport would stall just after starting (backing out of my driveway), or at a traffic light taking my foot off the brake then by the time my foot got on the accelerator it would also stall. Taking a slow corner, at low RPM (500-1000) same thing. Sometimes the Tachometer would fluctuate up and down (500- 2500 rpm) then settle. No ODBC codes at all are thrown.

What seems to correct it temporaily mind you is a cleaning of the throttle body or just spraying the inside of it with TB cleaner. It's good for 3-4 days then it starts up again. Have changed the spark plugs, plug wires, had a shop clean the throttle body, replaced the Idle Air Control valve (on the throttle body), replaced the MAP sensor, and just last week replaced the PCM. Good for 4 days then same problem now again. Live in northern climate - no problems at all in winter. just acting up as the weather warms. This had been driving my wife and I crazy (she drives it more than me). Any ideas, other sensors that I should be replacing etc....thanks

#2 ·
It appears the dirty throttle body is your problem, just a guess.

Just spraying the throttle body is usually a waste of time and money. It needs to be cleaned with the proper fluid and a brush designed for this purpose. Some hot solvents can actually damage the TB.

Does it do the same thing when warmed up?

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. It does occassionally stall when warm also. I had an auto repair shop clean the throttle body about 3 weeks ago - again it ran fine for 4 days then the same symptons reappeared. Are there any other sensors in the air intake system that could be sending false data to the PCM ? My van has 202,000 km (120,000 miles). This is intermittent problem - yesterday I drove it around town - ran perfect. However, wife earlier in the day had 2 stalls at different times. (don't go there)

#5 ·
Unfortunately, all some shops do is spray into the intake which is only temporary if that.

There are two other components on the TB, the Idle Air Control Valve and the Throttle Position Sensor. However, since spraying seems to temporarily help, these are probably not a problem.

There is a thread somewhere on here about cleaning the TB which goes into great detail and shown a sensor in the bottom of the TB that must be carefully cleaned and not clogged or damaged. Don't remember exactly where to find it.

#6 ·
Tony D; taking my foot off the brake then by the time my foot got on the accelerator it would also stall. /QUOTE said:
This could indicate a leak in the vac line to the brake booster. However, this usually results in an increase in idle speed!

When this happens brake with your left foot and keep the engine running with your right.

#8 ·
Might try a junk yard intake air temperature sensor (IAT). Its resistance decreases as the temp increases.
To quote the Haynes for the 03 "IAT is used by the pcm to calculate air density, which is one of the variables it must know in order to calculate injector pulse width and adjust ignition timing".
You should be able to get one for the price of admission to the local u pick.
I would suggest the MAP because it also affects fuel pulse spark timing and is most important to the PCM for these.
Eventhough you said It is new, it might be worth taking it out and inspecting the inlet hole to it to make sure it is open and has not picket up any dislodged junk from the throttle body cleaning or replace it again with one from the upick test parts supplier.
Both of these should give CEL notice but they are electronic and there can be some strange voodoo with electricity.

#9 ·
I remember I had occasional problems with our van turning off when stopped or even driving slow the past few years. Sometimes the RPM's would jump when in drive at a stop light and running a little rough. Just this year I ended up changing the Throttle Positioning Sensor, because of error code. Haven't had any problems sense.

#10 ·
again, the advice is great and thanks. Browsing last night and ran across a You tube video of some guy having the same issues with his Dad's van, The local Chrysler dealership soaked him for $ 2g's and still same problem. Now they suspect the torque converter ? I'm using a local mechanic that I know well and does not make me take out a 2nd mortgage just to fix my wife's van. I will try the IAT route and check the MAP and update the thread. On the 3.8L V6 is the TPS and IAC not part of the same assembly ?

Any Dodge mechanics reading this stuff ?

#11 ·
Do you have any blown fuses? The most likely area is fuse 23 which may be shorting out right by transmission solenoid pack and transmission pan area. The harness can sometimes rub through. Check this area. Also check the IPM connections for bent pins.

Also, has the Throttle Position Sensor been checked? This can cause intermittent stalling issues.

Per the service manual,
Symptom:
*START AND STALL CONDITION

POSSIBLE CAUSES:
CHECKING SKIM DTCS
FUEL PRESSURE OUT OF SPECS
TP SENSOR SWEEP
TP SENSOR VOLTAGE GREATER THAN 0.92 VOLTS WITH THROTTLE CLOSED
ECT SENSOR OPERATION
OTHER POSSIBLE CAUSES FOR START & STALL
RESTRICTED FUEL SUPPLY LINE
FUEL PUMP INLET STRAINER PLUGGED
FUEL PUMP MODULE

#13 ·
Remove and clean the idle air control valve and the passages, its just two security torx screws. If the problem persists after the cleaning then i would go about checking the EGR valve and other sensors,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.