·
Super Moderator
24,399 Posts
Sad times for now.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
830 Posts
The last line of the article suggests the decline of the Pacifica's popularity. A 52% drop in sales, seems like it's getting mighty close to axing territory. Maybe that means they will bring back a Caravan model soon? It's not likely right around the corner with the new Voyager (stripped down Pacifica) expected to launch next year, but maybe in the near future.

·
Super Moderator
2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT (3.8); 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan eL (3.8)
2,014 Posts
...with the new Voyager (stripped down Pacifica) expected to launch next year...
The 2020 Chrysler Voyager is available now, there's one on the lot not far from me.

·
Super Moderator
24,399 Posts
The 2020 Chrysler Voyager is available now, there's one on the lot not far from me.
Not in Canada yet, so it seems.
Now, Chrysler is bringing back the Voyager name, as an entry-level version of the Pacifica. It will go on sale as a 2020 in the United States, arriving afterwards in Canada, likely next year as a 2021 model.
It doesn't have the newer Pacifica styling. Should work.

·
Registered
216 Posts
The Voyager isn't available in Canada (yet?) but in the US it looks like it is just the Pacifica L/LX renamed (in terms of content). I was wondering how the Voyager could be any more stripped down than the L already is.

The big question is what will happen with real world pricing when the DGC is gone. In Canada, you can buy almost 2 DGCs for the price of 1 Pacifica, so dealers don't sell or stock very many. FCA can either reduce real world prices or face the fact they will lose a lot of sales as a lot of DGCs were sold just because they were cheap (one of the cheapest vehicles on the market).

·
Super Moderator
24,399 Posts
The 2020 Voyager may be available in the States that are not selling the 2020 DGC. Stow and Go may not be available on the 2020 models except for fleet only LXi trim. Weird marketing.

Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
Registered
2014 Town & Country
70 Posts
...I was wondering how the Voyager could be any more stripped down than the L already is.

The big question is what will happen with real world pricing when the DGC is gone. In Canada, you can buy almost 2 DGCs for the price of 1 Pacifica, so dealers don't sell or stock very many. FCA can either reduce real world prices or face the fact they will lose a lot of sales as a lot of DGCs were sold just because they were cheap (one of the cheapest vehicles on the market).
How can they be more stripped down?? Manual windows, door locks, no automatic sliding doors and opening/closing deck lid. Lights that have to be turned on/off manually. No GPS, heated seats etc....

That's the thing nowadays, there is definitely a U.S. market for new minivans that are optioned similar to how a "loaded" car was optioned in the early-mid' '80's. Middle to lower middle class buyers would like to be able to buy a new, safe vehicle for their young and growing family that could also double as a light duty hauler when they need to move a refrigerator or are building a deck. That said, can companies service that market with the desired ROI - it doesn't seem like that's the case?

Maybe we're just in the middle of companies trying to figure it out and that's what these Pacifica, Voyager announcements are all about?

·
Registered
216 Posts
The 2020 Voyager may be available in the States that are not selling the 2020 DGC. Stow and Go may not be available on the 2020 models except for fleet only LXi trim. Weird marketing.
For sure. To get Stow&Go, plus the other stuff my C$28,300 DGC has, you have to move up to a C$45,000 Pacifica. No way! I'd get a Kia instead.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
830 Posts
Oh, it's out already? Haven't seen a single one on the road.

Voyager is just the bottom trims from the Pacifica. They can make it more stripped down, but probably won't. Enough people don't buy them already so removing features isn't exactly going to pull in the customers.

·
Super Moderator
24,399 Posts
They will keep the Voyager stripped down for 2020. In 2021, with the new Pacifica on the market, the Voyager (basically old Pacifica) will have more options.

For 2020, the Voyager is just filling in for the Dodge GC (in certain US States / not in Canada) and marking time.

·
Registered
216 Posts
They will keep the Voyager stripped down for 2020. In 2021, with the new Pacifica on the market, the Voyager (basically old Pacifica) will have more options.

For 2020, the Voyager is just filling in for the Dodge GC (in certain US States / not in Canada) and marking time.
Not so sure about that. The Voyager has been here all along, it was just called the Pacifica L and LX. Adding more options to the Voyager just pushes it into the remaining Pacifica trim levels. The Voyager is like the old American/Canadian Value Package, which never had many options. If you wanted stow and go, aluminum wheels, or various other things you had to move up to a higher trim.

The "new" Pacifica is just a refresh of the existing one, and is probably mostly cosmetic. FCA may keep the old grill on the cheaper trims for a while, like they did with the Charger.

·
Super Moderator
24,399 Posts
My thinking is that the 2021 Voyager will be as well optioned as the Dodge GC is today plus the newer touchscreen infotainment system that's both Android Auto and Apple CarPlay compatible.

·
Super Moderator
24,399 Posts
Wouldn't that make it a Pacifica?
An older model Pacifica with less available options, yes. No AWD, no battery power, no hybrid, no nappa leather, smaller screen, etc.

Sort of like Dodge Grand Caravan vs Chrysler Town and Country but with bigger differences at the high and low ends.

·
Super Moderator
24,399 Posts
With the 5th Generation coming to an end, what's with the Voyager? Is it 6th or 7th Generation? The new Pacifica will be 7th Generation or a continuation of the 6th Generation? I'm guessing both are a continuation of the 6th Generation.

·
Registered
216 Posts
The "new" Pacifica is just a facelift so it is still Gen 6. The Voyager is just a Pacifica with a different nameplate so it too is a Gen 6.

·
Registered
48 Posts
DGC vs Voyager. I own the T&C. I have driven the Pacifica as a loaner. I like the Pacifica better. My opinion is that the DGC is more minivan like, but FCA can’t spend the money to bring the DGC up to federal standards. The other element that makes the DGC appealing is deep discounts on the MSRP. Bought my T&C new in 2014 with 8k off sticker and local dealership websites show discounts without even asking on 2020 DGCs.
Maybe FCA should come out with a contemporary SUV and retire the past it’s prime Journey. They probably have to get another six or eight years out of the Pacifica platform.
Anything FCA sells in Europe that would replace the Pacifica? If you look at what is the current full size van in Europe the RAM van replacement here in the US is long overdue.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts