20 year old enthusiast
10,108 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Are you going to get the high flow cat when you do your exhaust mod?

·
20 year old enthusiast
10,108 Posts
Are you going to get the high flow cat when you do your exhaust mod?
Possibly. I'm planning on getting my Fog light set ordered this weekend.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Long time since anyone has talked on this, but I ended up doing a transfer gear swap on my 1994 over the winter.

I had originally swapped my van to a 3.8L/4-speed, whichis a 3.42 ratio. When my 3.8 died I ended up putting a 3.3L in it's place, which mated to the 3.8 trans was unbearably slow.

I decided to swap the transfer gears to 2.5L Stratus gears, 3.90 ratio. Night and day difference on performance and actually boosted my economy as well.

The issue lied in the new gears making my speedo off. Without a computer to swap for/to that would work with my van, I was at a loss. So I did a quick/dirty fix, I pulled the speedo needle, ran to 60 mph on my GPS, then put the needle back on there. That got my speedo reading close enough for our normal driving, so it did the trick.

·
Super Moderator
4,822 Posts
Boy it has been awhile!
When I saw this thread pop up on my email reminder I was a little surprised.
Just think how your van would run with that 3.8L and these new gears!

If you can get your hands on the right old scan tool you can adjust the Speedo with it. Its under trans/ "pinion factor"

lastly sorry to hear you're having so much engine troubles. My 94's motor still going. 365K now.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Boy it has been awhile!
When I saw this thread pop up on my email reminder I was a little surprised.
Just think how your van would run with that 3.8L and these new gears!

If you can get your hands on the right old scan tool you can adjust the Speedo with it. Its under trans/ "pinion factor"

lastly sorry to hear you're having so much engine troubles. My 94's motor still going. 365K now.
I have been thinking about rebuilding the 99 3.8L that hatched the bottom end on me. That motor was amazing with the long gears, it would be a monster with this new ratio.

Sadly finding an old scan tool doesn't seem to be possible around here. I tried for months before I finally just moved the needle.

I lost my original 3.8 when it dumped all it's oil out the exhaust without warning while cruising down the interstate, never looked into it, but figured PCV issue. I installed a 3.3L in it's place, drove that for a while, then found a 99 3.8L to take it's place. Unfortunately, that motor had major issues from overheating/stop leak/poor maintenance, and only made it a week before developing a death rattle. So back in the 3.3L went, combined with these new lower gears.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts