The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took in my T&C 97 to an independent mechanic and was quoted about $400 for replacing both powering steering lines on the van. I was wondering if that sounds reasonable?

·
Super Moderator
22,056 Posts
I took in my T&C 97 to an independent mechanic and was quoted about $400 for replacing both powering steering lines on the van. I was wondering if that sounds reasonable?
How much for:
- parts
- labor
- fluid
- shop supplies
- flush (if they try to sell you that one)

The hoses are fairly expensive. You can get some prices at dodgeparts.com @ http://www.dodgeparts.com/index.php
- pressure hose: $70 to $100
- return: $80 to $120

So, say $150 to $220 for parts, likely the higher number after the Mechanic adds on his mark-up to his purchase price.
Parts: $220
Labor: Say 1.5 hours @ $70 = $105
Shop Supplies: $5
Fluids: $10
Total: $340 plus applicable taxes, say 15% = $391. You aren't getting any deal at $400. You may be able to save $ by buying the parts yourself at disount somewhere.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I paid that for just the high pressure line.
It blew out violently and i had no PS and I was in an emergency and I took it to a local place and that was the charge. They said the part was about $200 and I have no idea why it took 2 hours but it is what it is. Now the steering motion is bumpy.

·
Registered
982 Posts
mgold, just how do you think we are going to pay for Obamacare if you start questioning costs?? :biggrin: While my reply is somewhat tongue-in-cheek, it is not far from the truth. Businesses just have to pass along extra costs. Prices for everything will continue to spike upwards. Expect much more inflation in the years to come. The quote sounds reasonable to me.

·
Registered
175 Posts
How much for:
- parts
- labor
- fluid
- shop supplies
- flush (if they try to sell you that one)

The hoses are fairly expensive. You can get some prices at dodgeparts.com @ http://www.dodgeparts.com/index.php
- pressure hose: $70 to $100
- return: $80 to $120

So, say $150 to $220 for parts, likely the higher number after the Mechanic adds on his mark-up to his purchase price.
Parts: $220
Labor: Say 1.5 hours @ $70 = $105
Shop Supplies: $5
Fluids: $10
Total: $340 plus applicable taxes, say 15% = $391. You aren't getting any deal at $400. You may be able to save $ by buying the parts yourself at disount somewhere.
28 and 23 bucks for both at the zone

·
Super Moderator
22,056 Posts
28 and 23 bucks for both at the zone
That's a deal. :thumb: I paid a discounted price of $56.00 for a pressure hose for my 2002 last year. It was listed at $70.00. That was aftermarket. Dealership prices can be very high for these hoses, approaching $200.00.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was thinking of taking parts to them as the labor sounds reasonable.

I called an independent chain around here that I have an account with (I know the owners) and can get good quality aftermarket power steering hoses for around the AutoZone price.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts