The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here done a 4.0 swap from a 2008-2010 minivan into a 4th gen that had a 3.3?
I've briefly looked into it, and I think the 41TE would hold up fine once it had some upgrades for longevity put into it, but I have also seen that one of the bellhousing bolt doesn't seem to line up between the two engines.
On the electrical side. besides altering the wiring harness to get all the connections to line up, I'd use a tuner to alter the fuel and timing maps to make the engine run properly.
Does anyone have anything to add to this?

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,319 Posts
I'm not sure the timing signals will be compatible. I'd grab the PCM, 62TE trans, and complete engine harness too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure the timing signals will be compatible. I'd grab the PCM, 62TE trans, and complete engine harness too.
I'd try to make just the 4.0 work in my van because I've seen the complexity of the wiring harness to adapt the 62TE.
Both the 3.3 and the 4.0 have the same firing order and the only item I can see that would have to be devised would be the ignition coil from the 3.3 need to be used because the 4.0 has individual coils for each cylinder.
Accessories like the cooling lines, alternator, power steering pump, and AC compressor would have to be used from the donor for the 4.0 because of the different locations between each Gen.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,319 Posts
You can convert coil pack to individual coils no problem. You'll just always be firing 2 at a time. I just finished a F-150 4.6L to 5.4L swap a couple days ago. Owner opted to use the coil pack as you are, but it would have been a lot cleaner looking swap if he let me do the coil wiring instead. As is it has plug wires everywhere because none of the plug wire retaining brackets would mount to the 5.4.

My big concern with the idea is the timing signals. For arguments sake, lets say the sensors themselves are fully electrically compatible (I do not know if this is actually the case or not.), but are the sensor wheels they read off of indexed at the same cam/crank position? Do they have the same amount of notches/windows/magnets? Do they follow the same pattern? When doing the F-150 I verified both engines had identical timing parts before starting. Had they not I may have need to swap sensor wheels.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can convert coil pack to individual coils no problem. You'll just always be firing 2 at a time. I just finished a F-150 4.6L to 5.4L swap a couple days ago. Owner opted to use the coil pack as you are, but it would have been a lot cleaner looking swap if he let me do the coil wiring instead. As is it has plug wires everywhere because none of the plug wire retaining brackets would mount to the 5.4.

My big concern with the idea is the timing signals. For arguments sake, lets say the sensors themselves are fully electrically compatible (I do not know if this is actually the case or not.), but are the sensor wheels they read off of indexed at the same cam/crank position? Do they have the same amount of notches/windows/magnets? Do they follow the same pattern? When doing the F-150 I verified both engines had identical timing parts before starting. Had they not I may have need to swap sensor wheels.
Good points!
Yes I'll have to look into that and investigate the notches in each engine.
I'll be going to my local pick-n-pull this weekend to do some comparisons.

·
3rd gen > all others
4,572 Posts
I've been collecting the stuff to do this to my 2004 AWD. What year is your van? This is important, as computers changed between the old style (2001-2003) and 2004-2007 NGC.

Forget using the van wiring and 62TE stuff. I grabbed all of my stuff from the 2005 Pacifica with the 3.5L, and the 4.0 from a 2007 Pacifica. I plan to basically run the engine management of the 3.5 on the 4.0 since the engines are so similar, and electronics match my 2004.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been collecting the stuff to do this to my 2004 AWD. What year is your van? This is important, as computers changed between the old style (2001-2003) and 2004-2007 NGC.

Forget using the van wiring and 62TE stuff. I grabbed all of my stuff from the 2005 Pacifica with the 3.5L, and the 4.0 from a 2007 Pacifica. I plan to basically run the engine management of the 3.5 on the 4.0 since the engines are so similar, and electronics match my 2004.
My van is a 2007 3.3.
I was also looking at the stats on the 3.5 from a Pacifica and wondering whether it would be better suited for my vehicle seeing as the 41TE might become the weak link with the increased horsepower and torque that the 4.0 would have over the 3.5.

·
3rd gen > all others
4,572 Posts
Ah, good. Your van has the same computer (NGC) as the Pacifica, as does mine. That means you can keep your flexplate for the crank sensor to work, and the cam sensor teeth are also the same.

You've already read through this thread, right?

Lots of information in that thread. I'm going to run the 4.0 from a 2007 Pacifica, BUT with some 3.5L parts swapped on to make it run with the cable throttle body and computer from the 3.5L Pacifica. Since I have security and most Pacificas do too, I had to get the PCM, chipped key/ignition switch and Sentry module all from the same vehicle to keep them matched up. Otherwise, the computer gets locked up and you have to take it all to a dealer to reprogram (expensive). It will bolt to the 41TE, and I have a couple of spare transmissions laying around if one goes bad.

Since I'll be running it like a 3.5L, I also grabbed a Pacifica 3.5 engine harness with the ignition coils, aluminum valve covers (so the coils fit properly), 3.5L lower intake manifold (taller) and upper plenum/throttle body, and 3.5L exhaust manifolds/crossover pipe/flex stub that connects to the catalytic converter. This way I can run a single cat already on my van. The 4.0 usually uses TWO cats (front and rear) and the junkyards don't sell them so I had to find a cheaper solution. The 3.5L upper plenum should fit between the radiator and the wiper tray since it sits over the front valve cover. I highly doubt the 4.0 plenum would fit in the van, since it sits over the rear one.

Chrysler WAS going to put the 3.5L engine in the vans as the top line engine, but loyal customers were asking about the 3.8 thinking larger engine= more power. To appease the public, Chrysler dropped the 3.5L and switched it back to the 3.8L even though it has less power. So, the 3.5L should fit in the van which is why I'm dressing up my 4.0 as such.

One other side benefit of using the Pacifica computer - it has autostick enabled!! I'm thinking by adding a couple of wires in the right spots and installing the autostick van cluster and shift lever, I can finally get autostick in my van.

I found wiring pinouts of the Pacifica and van NGC computers, and they are very similar. I copied everything down by hand in a notebook to compare. If I had to, I could probably repin some wires and run a few extra wires to make whatever engine harness work with whatever PCM I wanted. I even got lucky and scored a 300M Special PCM, chipped key and sentry module at the junkyard one day. This car had better fuel tuning and better transmission programming in the PCM to make it sporty, and even ran dual exhaust! If the 3.5L PCM works on the 4.0, then I could also use the Special PCM and make a true dual exhaust for my van.

I was hoping to have done this swap this last summer, but life got in the way again and I've just been trying to keep my van on the road.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah, good. Your van has the same computer (NGC) as the Pacifica, as does mine. That means you can keep your flexplate for the crank sensor to work, and the cam sensor teeth are also the same.

You've already read through this thread, right?

Lots of information in that thread. I'm going to run the 4.0 from a 2007 Pacifica, BUT with some 3.5L parts swapped on to make it run with the cable throttle body and computer from the 3.5L Pacifica. Since I have security and most Pacificas do too, I had to get the PCM, chipped key/ignition switch and Sentry module all from the same vehicle to keep them matched up. Otherwise, the computer gets locked up and you have to take it all to a dealer to reprogram (expensive). It will bolt to the 41TE, and I have a couple of spare transmissions laying around if one goes bad.

Since I'll be running it like a 3.5L, I also grabbed a Pacifica 3.5 engine harness with the ignition coils, aluminum valve covers (so the coils fit properly), 3.5L lower intake manifold (taller) and upper plenum/throttle body, and 3.5L exhaust manifolds/crossover pipe/flex stub that connects to the catalytic converter. This way I can run a single cat already on my van. The 4.0 usually uses TWO cats (front and rear) and the junkyards don't sell them so I had to find a cheaper solution. The 3.5L upper plenum should fit between the radiator and the wiper tray since it sits over the front valve cover. I highly doubt the 4.0 plenum would fit in the van, since it sits over the rear one.

Chrysler WAS going to put the 3.5L engine in the vans as the top line engine, but loyal customers were asking about the 3.8 thinking larger engine= more power. To appease the public, Chrysler dropped the 3.5L and switched it back to the 3.8L even though it has less power. So, the 3.5L should fit in the van which is why I'm dressing up my 4.0 as such.

One other side benefit of using the Pacifica computer - it has autostick enabled!! I'm thinking by adding a couple of wires in the right spots and installing the autostick van cluster and shift lever, I can finally get autostick in my van.

I found wiring pinouts of the Pacifica and van NGC computers, and they are very similar. I copied everything down by hand in a notebook to compare. If I had to, I could probably repin some wires and run a few extra wires to make whatever engine harness work with whatever PCM I wanted. I even got lucky and scored a 300M Special PCM, chipped key and sentry module at the junkyard one day. This car had better fuel tuning and better transmission programming in the PCM to make it sporty, and even ran dual exhaust! If the 3.5L PCM works on the 4.0, then I could also use the Special PCM and make a true dual exhaust for my van.

I was hoping to have done this swap this last summer, but life got in the way again and I've just been trying to keep my van on the road.
Well, I went through that complete thread, and with the exception that the OP was doing his swap on a 3rd Gen, it had a lot of useful information.
I was looking at trying to simplify my future install but using the coil pack from the 3.3 and some plug wires off of an engine that used deep spark plug boots. One choice I found for plug wires was from a 2001 Mazda MPV.
I'd like to keep my original PCM as well and get a tuner to adjust the fuel curves to optimize the system.

·
3rd gen > all others
4,572 Posts
With the original PCM, how will you control the variable length intake? That's probably most of the power gain right there. That's why I decided on the Pacifica PCM, plus the ability to have more control over the transmission.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
With the original PCM, how will you control the variable length intake? That's probably most of the power gain right there. That's why I decided on the Pacifica PCM, plus the ability to have more control over the transmission.
With the intake, I am going to my local pick-n-pull this weekend to start pulling parts, and the upper and lower intakes from a 3.5 Pacifica were gonna be my first purchases for the swap. Along with the throttle body to match them.
I'm going to study how the variable intake works and see if I can lock it out using the intake passages which would work best for what I'm going to use.

·
3rd gen > all others
4,572 Posts
It's a row of butterfly valves in the intake plenum, above the ports going into the lower manifold. It is controlled electrically by a motor on the end of the plenum, or servo? I know the old version of this technology in the 90's LHS cars used a vacuum diaphram and linkage to activate it. High vacuum you would want the longer runners, and low vacuum/WOT you want the short runners. You might be able to hack the motor circuit and manually switch it to what you want from the dash with electrical switches. For me that might be too much of a distraction, so I wanted to use the factory programming/management to get the best of it and make it easier to drive. I might be too busy playing with the enabled autostick. :ROFLMAO:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts