The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Stuck with a 3rd Gen
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm kind of keeping an eye on a set of good rims with good tires on them in the yards for my 99 Limited. In addition to the direct replacements from 3rd gen Limited, are the 4th gen limited's wheels a direct fit on the 3rd gen limited?

Pic of the 4th gen limited wheels:

·
3rd gen > all others
3,418 Posts
Absolutely! The 2001-2002 (maybe 2003?) Limited wheels were real chrome plated wheels, while 2004+ had molded plastic faces that were chrome plated and glued on (cheaper to make). The later wheels were not as durable, as the plastic faces get marred from prying the center caps off and changing tires, among other ways of damaging them. Earlier style wheels look better.

I put my 2004 Limited wheels on my 2000 Limited because I didn't like them as much (selling the 2000 eventually) and they fit over the 4th gen brake/suspension swap I did to that van. The 3rd gen wheels required spacers to clear the brake calipers. I also moved the 4th gen spare wheel over to my 2000, so all the wheels will fit on that van without spacers (3rd gen spare would have needed one on the front).

·
Stuck with a 3rd Gen
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Absolutely! The 2001-2002 (maybe 2003?) Limited wheels were real chrome plated wheels, while 2004+ had molded plastic faces that were chrome plated and glued on (cheaper to make). The later wheels were not as durable, as the plastic faces get marred from prying the center caps off and changing tires, among other ways of damaging them. Earlier style wheels look better.

I put my 2004 Limited wheels on my 2000 Limited because I didn't like them as much (selling the 2000 eventually) and they fit over the 4th gen brake/suspension swap I did to that van. The 3rd gen wheels required spacers to clear the brake calipers. I also moved the 4th gen spare wheel over to my 2000, so all the wheels will fit on that van without spacers (3rd gen spare would have needed one on the front).
Thanks for the reply, and sorry about the delayed response, Dan! Got caught up in yarding and selling parts! Your input is appreciated!

My interest in a set of 4th gen rims was occasioned by the need to replace my tires in the near future. Rather than shelling out four to five hundred dollars for a new set of tires, I was thinking, maybe, I could score a set of decent rims with decent tires on them in the yards!

Failing that, I am afraid I will have to shell out four to five hundred dollars for a new set of tires!

Thanks very much again for the reply! It's sincerely appreciated!

Reactions: Road Ripper
1 - 3 of 3 Posts