The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, 2006 Grand Caravan, 3.8L, 220k miles, sudden loss of freon. I added dye and recharged the system and went looking with my UV light and found the leak right at the rear unit where the pipes come down from the rear evaporator.

Looking around a bit it looks like we have the typical rear air problem these vans have. I've looked at RockAuto for parts, but does anyone have a parts list of what to buy for this problem? I'm not exactly certain where the leak is, but it appears to be at the expansion valve, but could also be the evap itself.

If anyone has been through this and has an idea of what parts to buy, send it along, you have my thanks.'

Ben

·
Registered
2005 Town & Country 251k miles
328 Posts
I had the rear AC lines replaced under a recall by the dealer. The same lines failed several years later. I never use the rear AC so I just plugged the lines underneath where the front passenger's feet would be. The front end of the rear lines terminate in this area. I unbolted the front and rear lines from each other, cutoff the first 6 inches of the rear lines, filled them with epoxy, then bolted my home made plugs back in place.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had the rear AC lines replaced under a recall by the dealer. The same lines failed several years later. I never use the rear AC so I just plugged the lines underneath where the front passenger's feet would be. The front end of the rear lines terminate in this area. I unbolted the front and rear lines from each other, cutoff the first 6 inches of the rear lines, filled them with epoxy, then bolted my home made plugs back in place.

I've seen that done, and have seen the kit you can get to do that. It may be a final solution, but we sometimes haul people and not cargo, so it might be nice to have air back there. It's a old van and perhaps not worth it, but I thought if a kit could be assembled I could tackle it and save dough.

Thanks for your reply!

Ben

·
Registered
1,441 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
I went through the same problem with my 06, and ended up fixing it. Maybe this old thread of mine can be of some help? I had some links to parts there, though I'm not sure how many of them are still working:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts