The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I used to be the proud owner of a 2007 town and country. Unfortunately three days ago my car was totally destroyed by a hit and run driver. I think I'd like to pick up another 4th gen because that car really checked all the boxes of what I need a car to do (I have child and do construction). I was wondering if anyone can tell me about the difference between the 4th gen town and country and the dodge caravan. If they are the same it would help me to expand my search to include caravans as well.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
15,090 Posts
Good morning.

Yes, exactly the same for the intended use.

Town and Country is more equipped, so it is more expensive.

Buy a Town and Country if you can.

·
Registered
2005 Town & Country 251k miles
85 Posts
Some models of the Dodge Caravan did have automatic sliding doors. Also some models have Stow and Go seating while some do not. If you want the ability to fold the 2nd and 3rd row seats flat to haul 4x8 sheets of plywood or drywall then Stow and Go is a huge plus. My kids borrow my van with Stow and Go anytime they need to move from one apartment to another. With all the seats folded flat the van holds a lot of cargo. The Town and Country is slightly upscale compared to the Caravan but each line has different trims and included equipment. I would rate the powertrain and body condition of a specific used vehicle to be more important than whether it is a Dodge or Chrysler. I believe the powertrains are identical.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you stow and go is an absolute necessity for me because I do transport sheet goods.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
15,090 Posts
I insist, look at both before buying.

I do have T&C and a Caravan. T&C wins.

But mine are both 5Gen. Don't know if there is a big difference on 4th Gen.

·
Drivin' Maniac
2002 Grand Caravan ES 3.8L
2,144 Posts
Thank you stow and go is an absolute necessity for me because I do transport sheet goods.
Our NON Stow-n-Go '02 easily transports 4 X 8 plywood flat, on top of the folded seats. Not as many as with the seats removed (or stowed), obviously... 😇

++++++++++++

Any used 4th Gen needs to be inspected carefully for RUST. To me, a solid body would be the main criteria for purchase.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Do you know if the caravans had the automatic door option.
some do, most probably don't

mine only has the auto sliding door on one side, most of the T&Cs i see have both

·
3rd gen > all others
3,660 Posts
Depends on where (region) you live. The newer model years of 4th gen van had a lot of features removed. 2001-2002 were the best vans, as they still had all the nice little things like windshield wiper heating grid on lower windshield, all window/lock switches had lights, TWO rear interior liftgate lights, two lights in each taillight plus reverse lights (safety), heat ducts in the front doors, and some had autostick. After 2002 Chrysler started scaling back for costs and stripped away these features. The vans just seemed to be better built.

Stow and Go started in 2005, except for the short wheelbase vans. I mainly focus on the long wheelbase vans like the Grand Caravan, because they will haul the most. Stow and Go is convenient, but not as economical as you are always hauling the extra weight of all the seats with you. The floor isn't as sturdy with stow and go. It's been said the seats aren't as comfortable as the regular seats. Also, you can't have stow and go with an AWD van. Just things to consider.

Since I mentioned 2005, that seems to be the year with the most problems so I'd avoid it. That's also the year the 3.8 engines started burning oil like crazy. The engine wiring harness was revised for this year to help put an end to the melted fuel injection wiring harness problem, but because the whole van had harnesses changed, there were more electrical issues. These problems are why I avoid the newer vans.

I have a 2004 T&C Limited AWD with about 210,000 miles. I came from a 2000 T&C Limited with 225,000, but stopped driving it because of rust letting exhaust gasses inside. You have to keep good exhaust systems on these vans, or the rust eats the van body up. When I got the 2004, I noticed a few of the nice things missing that my 2000 had. Now that I've learned all the differences, I would have rather bought a 2001-2002. I'm still trying to add things back that were "decontented" with junkyard parts. I do love how much these vans haul. I've removed all the rear seats and front passenger seat from my 2000 twice to help people move.

I can understand needing to go newer to get less rust/solid van in a rust belt state. All the earlier vans here rusted out, so the very few that are left are pricey. I needed an awd van for my sloped driveway, so that's why I moved up. The 5th gen vans are heavier and have even more electronic issues. We had a 2011 for 1 1/2 years that got totalled, and we replaced it with a 2011 Toyota Sienna that is better in every way. Well, that's my 4c (to account for inflation). :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone I just picked up a 2007 caravan with 120,000 miles on it I jumped on this one because it's a Florida car (I'm in Michigan) and has almost no rust.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
We own a 2002 T&C AWD w/ 3.8L and all options (even 5-disk CD changer!), bought used. I think the T&C outside looks a bit classier, especially the grill, while the Caravan looks more utility, but all became boxier looking in later generations. You probably wouldn't pay more for a T&C today, but rarer. Our doesn't have Stow & Go, which probably came later, but I haul 4x8 sheets and such. I roll out the rear seats, which isn't too hard, but they just take space in the garage to store. If just a quick trip to Home Depot, I just leave the seats outside. On road trips, we sometimes take out one row of seats for more storage. The seats are heavy and Stow & Go has you hauling them uselessly on trips. They also take space which made compromises below, like no spare tire I understand. I would feel helpless driving without a spare, and I have used one many times on many cars. No spare is like the days when I road a motorcycle in college.

There were some short-wheelbase 4 cyl T&C around 2005, marketed as upscale to empty nesters, but those engines were bad in those years (messed up the thrust bearing design). I use our old 1996 Voyager 2.4L more as a pickup now, with the rear seats usually out, so can stop on the way home from work at Home Depot. It fits 4 x 8 sheets with the hatch slightly open (tied shut to hitch). You need to place a 4x4 cross-wise at the rear so the heavy wood is supported by the floor and not the plastic door trim.

·
Registered
62 Posts
We own a 2002 T&C AWD w/ 3.8L and all options (even 5-disk CD changer!), bought used. I think the T&C outside looks a bit classier, especially the grill, while the Caravan looks more utility, but all became boxier looking in later generations. You probably wouldn't pay more for a T&C today, but rarer. Our doesn't have Stow & Go, which probably came later, but I haul 4x8 sheets and such. I roll out the rear seats, which isn't too hard, but they just take space in the garage to store. If just a quick trip to Home Depot, I just leave the seats outside. On road trips, we sometimes take out one row of seats for more storage. The seats are heavy and Stow & Go has you hauling them uselessly on trips. They also take space which made compromises below, like no spare tire I understand. I would feel helpless driving without a spare, and I have used one many times on many cars. No spare is like the days when I road a motorcycle in college.

There were some short-wheelbase 4 cyl T&C around 2005, marketed as upscale to empty nesters, but those engines were bad in those years (messed up the thrust bearing design). I use our old 1996 Voyager 2.4L more as a pickup now, with the rear seats usually out, so can stop on the way home from work at Home Depot. It fits 4 x 8 sheets with the hatch slightly open (tied shut to hitch). You need to place a 4x4 cross-wise at the rear so the heavy wood is supported by the floor and not the plastic door trim.
i have a 95 grand caravan for sale it has a few issues with the trans but i will sell it cheap.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Compare 2008 with 2007 Town and Country side by side, such as at https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/compare?trims=10345-291235_10071-285394

Note the front and rear head air bags appear to start as standard with 2008, which I value to protect in side impact.

See what is of value to you. Parts for 5th generation starting 2008 may be available longer than for 2007 4th generation.

Personally I have a 2009 Town and Country with Stow and Go seats that I bought new with Mopar lifetime bumper to bumper non-transferable non-deductible warranty and love it. Even though they stopped providing GPS annual upgrades a few years ago, it still works with SiriusXM and I still usually travel with it active. My iPhone can be used as a GPS if needed.

I had Ziebart rust proof it new and every year thereafter until the pandemic, but lift gate, left rocker panel and right rear by wheel are rusting. It still looks good.

I'd rather pay a bit more for a 2009 T & C (keeping away from the first version change in 2008) instead of a 4th generation, but it's your call. Good luck.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts