The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 T+C Touring with 126,000 miles that I bought new. Here is what has failed so far. Only #1 was replace under warranty.

1) Oil pressure sensor
2) Oil filter housing
3) Thermostat
4) Starter
5) HVAC blower fan
6) Engine mount
7) Drivers front seat plastic shield -- it's broken at least 5 times. I can replace these in like 10 minutes now.

We're big people but the front seats are in much worse shape after 6 years than any other car we've owned--foam compressed.

Finally, I must say the van just feels like it's old--lots of rattles and creaks and moans out of the suspension and interior. This our first American car--our previous Japanese cars seemed to feel much more solid after this mount of time and mileage.

We are hard on cars--lots of in-city, short trips, big dogs, etc. But I'm just not impressed. We're thinking of replacing with Sienna instead of Pacifica.

·
Super Moderator
22,884 Posts

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
10,581 Posts
None of those problems on either, our 2012 T&C or 2017 DGC after lots of miles. I live in a ranch, so often drive on dirt roads.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Problems our '14 Touring L has had with very similar mileage:

Leaking strut seems to have been causing some vibration
Thermostat failure (cheap fix)
Nav not booting (fresh radio software fixed it)
Knocking rear shocks (new shocks)
Early on, the windshield seals on the side would make a short high pitched outburst in windy conditions. It went away after a few months as the seals hardened a little with age.

Rattles and creaks are few. I've noticed the left sliding door making a creak on slow bumps like the end of the driveway.

·
Super Moderator
4,787 Posts
I have had none of those failures either.
I replaced the thermostat this weekend as I was replacing the OE coolant as part of my 150k service.
It drives straight as an arrow with no squeaks or rattles. I have factory Novimats in the rear which may be why they are still quiet?

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
10,581 Posts
I have a 2014 T+C Touring with 126,000 miles that I bought new. Here is what has failed so far.

7) Drivers front seat plastic shield -- it's broken at least 5 times. I can replace these in like 10 minutes now.

We're big people but the front seats are in much worse shape after 6 years than any other car we've owned--foam compressed.
You must be doing something wrong for this to happen 5 times.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You must be doing something wrong for this to happen 5 times.
It's a terrible design. I know several people who have gone through 2-3 of them over 100,000 to 150,000 miles. I've had a manager of Enterprise Car Rental branch tell me that Chrysler plastic seat shields/trim break much more often than other brands. I've had two Chrysler rentals with this seat trim broken--one Dodge Caravan and a one Jeep Patriot.

There are several Ebay sellers who sell this part by the hundreds. For example:

It's a function on how much you weigh and more importantly how you get out of the seat. Even normal sized people could break it depending on how they get out of the seat. If you put any weight on that trim while getting out, it will not last long. If you compare the design to many other brands, it's very sub-standard. Many other brands allow a certain amount of flex with the physical connector between trim and seat frame. Chrysler literally has hard plastic slot inserting into a hard metal tab from the seat frame.

·
Vendor
1,446 Posts
I just bought a 2014 with 77k on it. My only concern is electrical Gremlins. Just a gut feel after my headlights going on and off while hand washing it this weekend. Maybe it was the key in my pocket getting hit by my knife, maybe it was a gremlin. Time will tell.

Otherwise, it feels good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Sometimes the headlights on ours turn on as I'm walking by in the garage, whether I have a key on me or not. It does not seem to do it outside.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Well, it goes to mention that sometimes you get a "Lucky" car which holds up well, and other times you get a car that has lots of things that go out. Because regardless of what brand or type of vehicle you buy, some vehicles last a really long time while others seem to break all the time. But honestly, these are rather small issues to have, no mechanical failure minus that engine mount (like engine failure or transmission failure) So you can count yourself lucky!
-You also should factor in that Dodge/Chrysler are a "cheaper" brand out there compared with other automakers, but it goes to mention that when you bought the vehicle, you paid less for it then an Oddessy or Sienna with the same features.
-But I agree that the seats for sure were not made to last a million miles, the cloth seats get worn out and rip along the sides as you get in and out of the vehicle, and the fabric isn't as durable as a lot of other cloth seats out there. The cheap plastic interior does begin to creak and rattle as time passes, I found the center sliding doors creaked too much and I took off the covers and tightened every screw and bolt that I could find, and hasn't come back since. My van is at 160 K kilometers, which is about 100 miles, so lots more to go before reaching your mileage, also need to point out my van is a 09 Caravan.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
10,581 Posts
It's a terrible design. I know several people who have gone through 2-3 of them over 100,000 to 150,000 miles.

It's a function on how much you weigh and more importantly how you get out of the seat. Even normal sized people could break it depending on how they get out of the seat. If you put any weight on that trim while getting out, it will not last long. If you compare the design to many other brands, it's very sub-standard. Many other brands allow a certain amount of flex with the physical connector between trim and seat frame. Chrysler literally has hard plastic slot inserting into a hard metal tab from the seat frame.

Terrible design?

It works for me.

That plastic part that breaks so much for you, I've seen just a couple of complaints here.

·
Registered
107 Posts
2017 sxt with 29000 miles
Rear shocks replaced under warranty
Front strut and strut towers replaced under warranty.
Sliding passenger door has been in three times and had all hinges and roller replaced twice.
Pcv replaced under warranty.
Love how it rides and gets good gas mileage, but the squeaks and rattles and issues I've had have been frustrating.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Strut towers? I always call the structure welded to the rest of the body that struts bolt to at the top the strut towers. Not a serviceable thing. What are you referring to?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Some vans just run forever. I have a 1986 Dodge Caravan LE. The engine and transmission work great, it runs fantastic (Weber carburetor) but yeah, after 34 years lots of things don't work and sadly I can't get all the parts I need to keep it on the road.

I'm sure Chrysler never intended for my '86 Caravan to be on the road for over three decades, but it can be done. The only major expense I've had with it is having the rack and pinion replaced last November. It took nearly a month to get the part.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Our '14 Grand Caravan has been pretty good overall @ about 170,000 km... We've had:
  • Leaking transmission cooler lines
  • Oil filter housing crack / leak a while back
  • replaced HVAC blower. The motor bearing was starting to make noise, and I hate noises.
  • sliding door lock actuator (wow, they don't make that easy to fix)
  • driver / passenger door plastic trim pieces replaced (super easy fix)
Of course, none of these were covered under warranty...

Upcoming headaches include:
  • leaking front struts (juuuust starting to affect ride quality)
  • knocking front strut mounts
  • Small leak from the oil pan gasket
  • tiny bit of seeping starting on the tranny pan gasket
I'll probably hit the last two next time I change the oil. I hate seeing spots on my concrete...

My driver's seat trim broke, but only on the front. It stays in position, but just has some 'flex' to it. Not worth replacing in my book. Far fewer squeaks, creaks, clunks, and rattles than a lot of other vehicles I've owned. Runs smooth, shifts smooth, hope to keep it running this well for another 170,000 km...

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
My early build (10/13) 2014 has almost 65,000 miles. My oil filter housing has not cracked/leaked, yet. My drivers seat panel clip is cracked, It doesn't bother me. So far, I have only replaced tires and 10,000 mile oil changes. My rear left wheel bearing is starting to make noise. All of the Chrysler minivans I have driven since 1986 (mostly company cars) have been dependable. As far as the Japanese vans, I have no personal experience, but know of some with Odysseys with transmission problems, 2 of my siblings have and had Sienna's, they seem like dependable high mileage achievers , but also seem to spend a lot of time at the dealer

·
Registered
107 Posts
Strut towers? I always call the structure welded to the rest of the body that struts bolt to at the top the strut towers. Not a serviceable thing. What are you referring to?
I'd have to go back and look at paperwork. I know where the struts mount had to be replaced, tech called them strut towers, but they may have a different name.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
10,581 Posts
Our '14 Grand Caravan has been pretty good overall @ about 170,000 km... We've had:
  • Runs smooth, shifts smooth, hope to keep it running this well for another 170,000 km...
Wow, you call that running well?

I only had to replace transmission once and flexplate twice on my 2012 T&C, but due to an accident.

Nothing else on my 2012 T&C or on my 2017 DGC.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Wow, you call that running well?
Yup - engine & transmission are both running very well. Wasn't saying I haven't had to do any repairs to it, just saying it's running well, and expect that with proper maintenance it will continue to run well for a good long time. Compared to some of the other vehicles I've had, the bills have been fairly cheap over that many km's. Having said that, the best vehicle was a 2002 300m, that needed only maintenance items, a couple of O2 sensors, and a thermostat at 348,000 km. Only been that lucky once...

·
Registered
436 Posts
My 15 had the nav system replaced under warranty as it was freezing and the front blower was making squeaking sounds, but it had to be on for a long time. My wife made a video of it making noise during our trip to Florida and based on that it was replaced by the dealer. It was quiet during normal commutes and errand runs.

Recently the transmission pan developed a small leak, but I will repair this myself, as the warranty is gone.

Nothing major, but at the same time it does count as problems.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts