The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it kind of depends on wheel manufacturers, but does anyone know if you can get any 15" wheels to clear the brakes on the HD setup? I have a 2016 T/C and was just trying to think of a winter wheel setup. Pretty sure the 16" steelies should fit, but I want to go even smaller for that extra sidewall cushion.

·
Registered
2008 Town and Country 3.8L
123 Posts
Vans with hd brakes have 17 inch rims so I doubt 16 inch rims would fit, let alone 15 inch ones.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Vans with HD brakes cannot go smaller than 17".

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is what I was thinking since the work/cargo vans come with steelies, don't they? Shouldn't they all have the same brakes? It doesn't make sense to me for those vans to continue using the old brakes from a bean counters perspective

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,421 Posts
That is what I was thinking since the work/cargo vans come with steelies, don't they? Shouldn't they all have the same brakes? It doesn't make sense to me for those vans to continue using the old brakes from a bean counters perspective
After looking through brochures for dodge caravans from 2011-2016, 2011, 12, and 13 had available factory 16" steel wheels with the cover, then in 2014 and newer only 17" wheels were available, even on the C/V's with steel wheels.

And the HD brakes phased out the LD brakes in 2012, so that would mean in theory that yes a 16 inch steel wheel will fit, but just barely if it does. But why else would it be in a brochure if it isn't available/doesn't fit?

So based on this knowledge, theoretically a 16 inch steel wheel will fit. However, you run the risk that it won't, but it's entirely up to you.

Here's my freshly installed HD brakes with 17" rims in the front, there is not much space between the rim and the brake. In fact, the wheel weights that stick on the inside of the rim would likely hit the caliper if there was 2 placed on top of each other, see the photo:
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,421 Posts
Hey, speaking of which: if you're interested I have all 4 LD calipers I no longer need that I can sell to you if you'd like, they are 100% guaranteed to fit any 16" rims! :D 🤣🤣🤣

·
Registered
301 Posts
The HD equipped work/cargo vans do come with steelies........ 17" steelies.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts