The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I’m hoping to get a little bit more info from this post. I’ve got a couple issues with my wife’s TC first one is after replacing the strut towers a couple months back my wife started hearing a popping noise when she turned the wheels. Upon a closer look I noticed that what appears to be a rubber bushing at the top of the tower right above the spring was actually twisting a little when the wheel was turned. Is there a reason why it’s doing this? Or a way to stop it? Second, for a month or so every once in a while the engine would rev up real high when taking off and the transmission would not change gears. If you stopped and then done it manually it would work fine or if you shut it off and restart it then it would go back to normal. I’ve searched the forums over these issues and haven’t found a clear distinct answer yet. Can someone help us out?

·
Registered
2008 Town and Country 3.8L 175k mi
288 Posts
I don’t believe the strut towers can be replaced on 5th gen vans. I believe you mean that you changed the strut or a part of it (probably strut mount).

I had another car that did this after changing the strut assemblies to a cheap brand. The strut mounts were defective making the popping sounds when turning the steering wheel. Changing to oem strut assemblies (only known good brand available for that car) fixed the problem.

About the transmission problem… I’m not too sure. Many people on this forum try changing the fluid and filter to attempt to correct transmission problems. It sometimes works.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m sure we’re talking about the same thing, I’m just old school and call it a tower but yes the whole assembly was replaced with Detroit brand assemblies so I figured they would be fairly decent 🤷‍♂️ Maybe by chance we got a defective part. I’ve done more digging about the transmission and some have said maybe the cause could be the torque converter solenoid. Idk just how easy that would be to replace on this one though.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
4,552 Posts
Defective strut or mount by the sound of it. Oh, helI... Detroit?! Yep, defective strut.

Trans solenoid issues can be caused by dirty fluid that holds too much heat because of the metal particles in it. A fluid and filter change may solve that problem and is always the best first step.

·
Registered
2008 Town and Country 3.8L 175k mi
288 Posts
Glad we’re on the same page now. Detroit axle parts can be OK but not always. What I’ve learned is that struts seem to be sensitive. I used the TRQ brand from 1a auto and they didn’t make a popping noise on this van but they did thump over bumps. I also used TRQ for another vehicle I have and they popped anytime the steering wheel was turned.

Now I know that struts should either be OEM or KYB, both are great. I am using Kyb on my van right now and I really like them. For struts, stick to the brand mentioned previously. Detroit axle can be ok for other suspension components. I don’t use them for the lower control arms or tie rods but their sway bar end links look identical to the moog ones and are a fraction of the price. Good warranty too (10 years).

You might have got a defective pair but let me save you some time and money. When the TRQ struts made the popping noise, they replaced them and the new pair was the same. Save money by buying good parts once. Buying cheap parts have hidden costs. You will end up buying expensive quality parts. You will also save money by not having to redo alignments.

·
Registered
2011 DGC SE, 2015 DGC SXT
79 Posts
I had similar transmission issues at 120k. I changed the transmission fluid and filter and within a few hundred miles everything cleared up. I’ve put another 5k on the van and the transmission is operating great.

I put BYT struts on my 2010 and I had the same problem with clicking. I sold it a couple years later.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts