The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everybody!

I am working on doing a custom headlight setup with custom HIDs and a black housing. In the process, I needed to have some headlights on the van so that we could use it while I am modding the stock housings. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to replace the headlight housings on the 5th Gen. (My van is a 2011...just as an FYI)

Materials:
Purchased a set from ebay ('08-'10 Black housings) shipped for under $140
(The ones in these pictures will soon be for sale from me, as my mods are planned to be done on the chrome OEM housings)

Tools needed:
All bolts are 10mm (I used a deepwell)
All pushpins were removed with 2 flat screwdrivers and pried off
A stubby phillips #2 screwdriver

Time: 1-2 hours depending on how fast you work

NOTE: I did NOT raise the front of the van, as I had plenty of clearance, but it may help you out. I also did this solo and it went fine. The scariest part is the removal of the cover as you do not want to drop and scratch it. To easily get to the wheelwell bolts and screws, simply turn the steering wheel right for the LH side and left for the RH side

Step 1:
In both wheel wells, there are 2 phillips screws to remove. There is also a 10mm bolt to remove. On the LH side, there will be a pushpin holding the liner and a lower deflector together that will also need to be removed.

Step 2:
On the top of the cover and the radiator support, there are 2 pushpins and 2 10mm bolts to remove.

Step 3:
On the underside of the cover, there are 4 pushpins (hardest to remove due to limited space)

Step 4:
Remove the plugs to both foglights

Step 5:
Remove the 2 push clips into the bottom of the fender. (red circles) When you pull the cover off, there are these 2 bent "posts" (Yellow outline) that need to be carefully pulled. (do not pull the cover straight off)

(Continued below...)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Step 6:
Remove the 4 support bracket bolts (10mm - red circles) and then remove the 3 housing bolts (yellow circles). Disconnect all of the bulb plugs from the housing.

Step 7:
Remove the bulbs from the original chrome housing

Step 8:
Reverse all steps to install new housing!

Required before and after pics:

·
20 year old enthusiast
10,108 Posts
Looks good. Have you started the headlight project yet?

What size projectors are you going for? I want to order a set to do the conversion on my van but have no clue if I should go with 2.5 or 3" projectors. Do you know what size projectors the limited came with?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks good. Have you started the headlight project yet?

What size projectors are you going for? I want to order a set to do the conversion on my van but have no clue if I should go with 2.5 or 3" projectors. Do you know what size projectors the limited came with?

I ordered the 3" in 35W combo. In talking with TRF.com, they stated that they mostly do 35W for heat control so I decided to follow suit. I went 3" over 2.5" because I wanted to make sure that it filled the halogen "dish" better. I am supposed to be getting the parts tomorrow, as the ballasts were on backorder and they held my order for a week and a half.

·
20 year old enthusiast
10,108 Posts
I ordered the 3" in 35W combo. In talking with TRF.com, they stated that they mostly do 35W for heat control so I decided to follow suit. I went 3" over 2.5" because I wanted to make sure that it filled the halogen "dish" better. I am supposed to be getting the parts tomorrow, as the ballasts were on backorder and they held my order for a week and a half.
Price paid? I already have my 4300k Bi-xenon 55W HID kit ordered. Just waiting for the pics and better LIGHT!!!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Price paid? I already have my 4300k Bi-xenon 55W HID kit ordered. Just waiting for the pics and better LIGHT!!!
I paid $308 and change to get the FX-R 3" 4300k kit shipped.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Good improvement over my write-up :thumb: with better/more pictures.
Don't forget to align your headlights as my driver side was very low. :thumb:
I had to adjust them both.

Keep up the good work, and Please, do a detail description of the HID kit install as everyone will looking for it.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I'll be using this write up in the near future.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
You are right. I did not describe how I aligned them....

Basically, I had the van point at the garage door (about 12-15ft away) with the stock "chromies" and took some green painters tap to outline the top edge of the light pattern. When I put the black housings in, I simply made sure they hit the same point on the garage door. VERY IMPORTANT... do not move the van before aiming the headlights.... otherwise you will need to follow some detailed instructions for aiming....

Thanks!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great job!

Looks like it comes off very similar to my Caliber bumper removal ... not too bad then.

I might want those black headlights off you after...

Looking forward to your HID retrofit too.
They will be less than I paid as they are lightly "used"..... But the fitment was pretty good overall!

·
20 year old enthusiast
10,108 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Different ways to get similar results! I look forward to how your project turns out!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Backordered ballasts will be here on Monday...... good thing I have the next 2 weeks off!!!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just a teaser of this past weekend's work until I can get a proper write-up finished..... I also updated the overall HID discussion as well.

I will create a new post for this write-up and link to this original write-up for the initial headlight assembly removal.

·
20 year old enthusiast
10,108 Posts
Damn, looks good. What K HIDS again?

My HID kit just came :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts