The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings,

I'm going to need to replace the tires on my 2010 Chrysler T&C within the next couple of months and would like to get a good performing all-season 225/65R16 radial tire. I've been shopping online but get quite confused when reading the reviews on many brands so I thought that I'd cut to the chase and ask you folks what tire you've liked for your 5th generation minivan.

==============================================

Addition 9/10: First of all, many thanks for all of the great responses. To answer some questions, we're generally using the minivan for personal travel and also hauling musical instruments but not necessarily carrying a heavy load. Our winters here in Lexington, KY are usually pretty mild so a basic all-season radial should work fine. If we have really bad snow, I'll switch to my 4wd Ram pickup and leave the minivan in the driveway. I'm looking more for ride quality and good tire adhesion on dry and wet roads.
=============================================

Many thanks!

·
Super Moderator
21,579 Posts
The Michelin Energy, that came on my 2016, have performed well but aren't recommended for snow bite. Properly inflated to 38 psi, the wear is very, very even across the tread. Worn edges usually limit tire life.

Take a look at the Grand Touring All Season listing here: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/reviews/MenuServlet?gclid=CjwKCAjwk93rBRBLEiwAcMapUULtwTOMcHXcZIZAxKIR-JV1UG_G441u3rv9fKH0J-J7FGFagoGHZRoC974QAvD_BwE&search=surveyComments&ef_id=CjwKCAjwk93rBRBLEiwAcMapUULtwTOMcHXcZIZAxKIR-JV1UG_G441u3rv9fKH0J-J7FGFagoGHZRoC974QAvD_BwE:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!3756!3!267746097045!e!!g!!tire rack reviews

For an all weather tire (better winter performance) , take a look here: https://tires.tirerack.com/search?asug=&view=list&w=all+weather

What category are you looking for? Do you want a SUV designated tire, with additional materials and better edges?

To help you out, we need more information on your expectations, use and price range.

For winter, I use the Walmart Weathermaxx Arctic SUV Tire: https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/weathermaxx-22565r17-102-q-arctic-suv-tire/6000193609303 Have them on my Jeep as well. Excellent value when on sale.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Michelin Energy, that came on my 2016, have performed well but aren't recommended for snow bite. Properly inflated to 38 psi, the wear is very, very even across the tread. Worn edges usually limit tire life.

Take a look at the Grand Touring All Season listing here: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/reviews/MenuServlet?gclid=CjwKCAjwk93rBRBLEiwAcMapUULtwTOMcHXcZIZAxKIR-JV1UG_G441u3rv9fKH0J-J7FGFagoGHZRoC974QAvD_BwE&search=surveyComments&ef_id=CjwKCAjwk93rBRBLEiwAcMapUULtwTOMcHXcZIZAxKIR-JV1UG_G441u3rv9fKH0J-J7FGFagoGHZRoC974QAvD_BwE:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!3756!3!267746097045!e!!g!!tire rack reviews

For an all weather tire (better winter performance) , take a look here: https://tires.tirerack.com/search?asug=&view=list&w=all+weather

What category are you looking for? Do you want a SUV designated tire, with additional materials and better edges?

To help you out, we need more information on your expectations, use and price range.

For winter, I use the Walmart Weathermaxx Arctic SUV Tire: https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/weathermaxx-22565r17-102-q-arctic-suv-tire/6000193609303 Have them on my Jeep as well. Excellent value when on sale.
Many thanks. Unfortunately, when I clicked on the Walmart Weathermaxx link it says that the product is no longer available. I've modified my original post to include more information but basically I'm looking for a good general purpose all-season radial that has a good ride and good adhesion on dry and wet roads. I'm not too concerned about winter use since I'll leave the minivan in the driveway and use my 4wd Ram in really bad winter weather.

Thanks so much for taking the time for your response.

Bill J., Lexington, KY

·
Super Moderator
21,579 Posts
The Weathermaxx Arctic tire should be in stock again soon for the winter season, hopefully on sale then or Boxing Day week. The SUV format has an extra nylon tread ply plus squarer edges and a higher load rating.

When you go to the Tire Rack site referenced previously, you can click on the tire and get a run down on it. For example:
The PureContact LS is Continental's Grand Touring All-Season tire developed for drivers of family sedans, coupes, minivans and small crossovers looking for responsive handling and sporty steering feel, along with quiet comfort and year-round traction. PureContact LS tires are designed to combine the refined ride of a premium touring tire with an engaging driving experience and confident grip in dry, wet and wintry conditions, including light snow.

Temperature-activated functional polymers in the all-season tread compound of the PureContact LS increase compound bonding and help improve tire wear and fuel efficiency. The asymmetric pattern features stable tread blocks in the shoulders for lateral grip and high-speed handling, and the wide, central rib provides solid on-center feel and confident straight-line tracking. Comfort Ride Technology incorporates an underlay beneath the tread that is designed to isolate the tread from the casing and reduce the amount of perceptible vibration in the cabin. Continental's +Silane additives enhance traction in slippery conditions, and the sweeping grooves combine with deep, circumferential channels to help resist hydroplaning. Siped shoulders and intermediate tread blocks create the biting edges needed for grip in snowy or icy conditions, and traction grooves trap snow in the tread to provide snow-to-snow traction.

The internal construction of the PureContact LS features a single ply, polyester casing. The mid- to high-apex balances responsive handling and performance with ride comfort, while dual steel belts are reinforced by two polyamide overlays to enhance durability and high-speed uniformity.
Sure sounds like a capable tire to me.

The AltiMAX RT is a well respected tire on this Forum and has 8.7 million miles reported. As the number of miles reported goes up, the ratings tend to go down some. General is Continental's value line.
AltiMAX RT43 (Road Touring) tires featuring H- or V-speed ratings are General's Grand Touring All-Season tire members of their AltiMAX family of flagship tires. Designed to deliver impressive consumer value through even treadwear and long treadlife, the AltiMAX RT43 combines a quiet, comfortable ride with year-round, all-season traction, even in light snow.

AltiMAX RT43 tires feature a Twin Cushion Silica Tread Compound that places a high-density all-season top compound for year-round traction and long wear above a low-density foundation compound that absorbs road vibrations to promote a comfortable ride. The tread compound is molded into a symmetric tread design featuring a continuous center rib and independent tread blocks that use sound wave suppression technology to reduce road noise for a quiet ride. Circumferential grooves and General's Anti-Slip Sipe Design Technology increases the number of biting edges to enhance traction on slippery roads.

The tire's internal structure features a Low Surface Abrasion Technology construction that reduces tread distortion as the tire rolls, resulting in less surface abrasion to promote even treadwear and extend treadlife. Twin steel belts reinforced by two layers of spirally wrapped polyamide stabilize the tread area for good handling while a polyester cord body enhances ride quality.
I don't think you can go wrong with this RT43 tire. I believe Walmart carries them in the US or they can be ordered in..

A couple things to keep in mind:
  • a 50% worn tire does not perform the same as a new tire
  • a worn tire will have a harder surface
  • a harder tire surface is better for dry road braking/traction and better fuel mileage.
  • a new tire is better for wet road braking/traction and ride comfort
Are we getting somewhere? :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Weathermaxx Arctic tire should be in stock again soon for the winter season, hopefully on sale then or Boxing Day week. The SUV format has an extra nylon tread ply plus squarer edges and a higher load rating.

When you go to the Tire Rack site referenced previously, you can click on the tire and get a run down on it. For example:

Sure sounds like a capable tire to me.

The AltiMAX RT is a well respected tire on this Forum and has 8.7 million miles reported. As the number of miles reported goes up, the ratings tend to go down some. General is Continental's value line.

I don't think you can go wrong with this RT43 tire. I believe Walmart carries them in the US or they can be ordered in..

A couple things to keep in mind:
  • a 50% worn tire does not perform the same as a new tire
  • a worn tire will have a harder surface
  • a harder tire surface is better for dry road braking/traction and better fuel mileage.
  • a new tire is better for wet road braking/traction and ride comfort
Are we getting somewhere? :)
We just got back from a 80 mile trip. The van has a set of Goodyear tires that are beginning to show some slight checking on the sidewall and, worse yet, it feels like one of the belts might be getting ready to separate as I'm beginning to feel a vibration in the steering wheel like the left front tire is out of round. I pulled the trigger this evening on a set of Cooper Evolution tires. I read a number of top ratings from purchasers of these tires including one who had a set of Michelin Defender tires removed from his car and the Coopers installed because of poor performance of the Michelins. They're supposed to be delivered to my local Wal-Mart in two days and I'll take the minivan over and have them installed along with replacement tire stems.

Thanks so much for all of your great input. I would have waited for the Weathermaxx tires but I'm getting where I don't trust the old GoodYears and feel like I need to replace them ASAP.

Thanks again!

Bill J., Lexington, KY

·
Super Moderator
21,579 Posts
Cooper Evolution H/T looks like a capable tire with some snow bite as well.

Good luck with your new tires.

·
Super Moderator
21,579 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
No personal experience with the Altimax RT43, but has gotten very good reviews here and elsewhere. So you should be happy.

I have never gotten more than 50-60% of the warrantied tread life on tires for this van, mostly because the edges wear out early even if I run them at 38-39 psi. With all of my previous cars that I've owned, I have typically met or exceeded the warranty miles before needing replacements, so I don't think it's a driving-style issue. For this van, I've tried Yokohamas and various Michelins, including most recently Defenders with the 90k mile warranty. Only got 50k on them and they were shot. So based on this thread, this past summer I had a set of Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring tires installed. I've never said this before about tires, but wow what a difference. They are noticeably quieter and the van seems to handle better. Compared to the Michelin Defenders, the Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring gets the same 70k mile warranty (Defenders now reduced to 70k miles), A rated for both traction and heat, much quieter and seems to handle better, and the Cooper is about $50 less per tire than the Michelin Defender.

The Cooper has nylon reinforcement for truck/SUV designation, so hopefully will better hold up on the edges and get full life out of these tires. Only time (and miles) will tell though. When I mentioned it, the Discount Tire sales rep said he puts SUV/truck tires on his mom's Odyssey for same reason.

·
Super Moderator
21,579 Posts
New tires are so much quieter than the worn hardened tires. You would think you had new struts. :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
New tires are so much quieter than the worn hardened tires. You would think you had new struts. :)
Fair point. But the Coopers seemed even more so than 'normal' new set of tires. I have no scientific evidence, and spending $500+ will make your brain want to think so. But I do think so.

·
Super Moderator
21,579 Posts
Fair point. But the Coopers seemed even more so than 'normal' new set of tires. I have no scientific evidence, and spending $500+ will make your brain want to think so. But I do think so.
I had the Michelin Defenders. All reports said they were a quiet tire. Maybe at first, but they didn't stay quiet long. Like you experienced, tread wear did not meet expectations either.

Good luck with your Coopers. They sound like a very capable tire for the van, a good choice, having the extra materials..

·
Registered
167 Posts
I was just reviewing the Defenders on the Discount Tire website, and looks like the new version with 70k mile warranty is now A rated for both Traction and Temps. So maybe the rubber isn't as hard as the previous version and they ride a bit better. I was never particularly happy with the Defenders. Also noticed that Discount Tire's good/better/best tire rating system, the Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring is "Better" while the Defender is "Best" despite nearly identical stats by the numbers.

When the Discount Tire sales rep made that comment about putting truck/SUV tires on his mom's Odyssey, I asked what he put on it and he said that Michelin makes a Defender truck/SUV tire but that version doesn't always turn up in search results for minivans that call for car tires. So looks like I may have not been running the "right" Defenders for the van. Just relaying what I was told, but don't know the veracity of it. But hopefully the reinforced tread and sidewall will help with the edges wearing out so quickly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
4 Participants
Zambee500
The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums
ChryslerMinivan.net is the best forum for Chrysler Town and Country owners to discuss mileage, price, problems, towing and more. Join now!
Full Forum Listing