The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a '91 grand caravan with the deluxe gauge cluster. the speedometer sticks at random speeds and won't go up or down. sometimes when i start it and go it doesn't move from 0 for some time then all the sudden starts working. i replaced the cluster and it did the same thing so that's not it. next i replaced the vehicle speed sensor and that didn't work either. there is no speedo cable on this model so obviously that's not it. is there another sensor that could be causing the issue and if so where the **** is it? i have the factory repair manual and can't figure it out. thanks!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Which vehicle speed sensor did you replace? The speedometer sensor is mounted on the passenger side axle extension. Is that the one you replaced? My 92 had this, my 94 does not. Just my $0.02.

Fredb

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Which vehicle speed sensor did you replace? The speedometer sensor is mounted on the passenger side axle extension. Is that the one you replaced? My 92 had this, my 94 does not. Just my $0.02.

Fredb

yes, i replaced the speedo sensor on the passenger axle extension.

·
Registered
886 Posts
On my '93 I had that problem and it turned out to be the needle was sticking on the decal behind it. I took it apart and made it stick flat. I also pulled the needles up a bit to give a bit more clearance. Maybe both clusters have this issue? Worth a look.
Hank

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On my '93 I had that problem and it turned out to be the needle was sticking on the decal behind it. I took it apart and made it stick flat. I also pulled the needles up a bit to give a bit more clearance. Maybe both clusters have this issue? Worth a look.
Hank
hmmm. i didn't notice anything but i will double-check. thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the only other thing i can think it would be is the output speed sensor. could that cause the problem?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I don't recall having any issues on my '95 when I swapped it for the deluxe cluster to get the tach and extra gauges, and I had it apart to clean it and swap the odometer with the vans original... However, i just had my '01 gauge cluster apart for bulb changing and cleaning and had sticking tach and temp needles after assembling. Turns out I pushed the needles down further on their posts and they were dragging slightly, just enough to cause the erratic movement. Couldn't feel the resistance moving them by hand even compared to the speedo and fuel needles. Pull 'em up a little and see if that helps. If that doesn't help, re-seat the connector on the SBEC module under the hood, the speed signal goes through it from the speed sensor.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
replaced the output speed sensor and that didn't fix it either. guess i will try sbec reconnect and maybe the input speed sensor...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi it could be cracked solder joints on the back or possibly the big square chip sensor on the back also I was told it could be the air intake computer wich is just one bolt to remove wich sensor in that I don’t know good luck dave

·
Registered
4 Posts
i have a '91 grand caravan with the deluxe gauge cluster. the speedometer sticks at random speeds and won't go up or down. sometimes when i start it and go it doesn't move from 0 for some time then all the sudden starts working. i replaced the cluster and it did the same thing so that's not it. next i replaced the vehicle speed sensor and that didn't work either. there is no speedo cable on this model so obviously that's not it. is there another sensor that could be causing the issue and if so where the **** is it? i have the factory repair manual and can't figure it out. thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi I also have a 91 same issue it could be cracked solder joint on back or the air intake computer that basically operates everything what sensor in there I couldn’t tell you also was told the chip sensor on the back of cluster panel good luck I haven’t bothered fixing mine yet just use it for dump runs

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi I also have a 91 same issue it could be cracked solder joint on back or the air intake computer that basically operates everything what sensor in there I couldn’t tell you also was told the chip sensor on the back of cluster panel good luck I haven’t bothered fixing mine yet just use it for dump runs
Ps the big square chip on the back of the cluster panel again good luck if you solve it let me know thanks [email protected]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts